Feb 28, 2005, 02:25 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Thread OP

Build thread: FOKKER Dr 1 in depron NOT A PROFILE PLANE

I've scaled up drawings of the Fokker Dr 1 to my required size. I wanted a scale prop of about 10 to 11 inches. This is the fuselage. I'd intended to do a Fiddler's Green type of build but I thought that I'd try it this way first. I'm using foam safe CA and accellerator throughout. No epoxy yet. Following are the photos to this point. The wings are next as is the equipment layout.

If there's any interest I'll continue to post photos. Building a Depron Tiger Moth as well. See the photo.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2005, 02:55 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
What W/S is this going to be?
Feb 28, 2005, 05:49 AM
Me and a guy with a mustache
Interesting build...yes, please do continue. I think your techniques will be of interest to anyone wanting to build something other than a profile.
Feb 28, 2005, 08:16 AM
Thread OP
The wingspan is to be 28" top wing from aileron tip to tip. Since the wings are short I'm going to try to get by without using a traditional wood or carbon spar. I'm going to use a blue foam spar full span and Depron ribs and skin. I've experimented by making a few small wing sections and twisting and bending them to failure. Failure in this case is when a crease appears in the skin. I'm hoping that the only wood that I need to use is the outer wing strut which will be one long piece tying each wing together and of course the tailskid. I'll post pics as soon as I download them.
Feb 28, 2005, 08:23 AM

My results...

I've done something similar to this in the past. Mine turned out pretty nice I think. Flew hew on an 8 cell 720 mAh pack and a razor 300 brushless, GWS D gear and 10 X 8 prop, I think. AUW was around 15-16 oz, I believe.

Flights were a little challenging! I built her without dihedral and rudder/elevator throttle controls. Needless to say, she fell out of turns quite a bit. I'd highly recommend dihedral if you don't do ailerons. or just do ailerons if you can figure out how to rig them. She looked VERY sweet in the air!!! I got frustrated with noseovers on landings, etc that I gave it away.

My plans were from an old set of blown up Guillow's rubber powered kit.
Good luck!!!

Here are some pics:
Feb 28, 2005, 09:00 AM
Looks good. Please continue with the build.

Do you know what you are useing for power yet?

Adam
Feb 28, 2005, 09:31 AM
Thread OP
The first photo shows the experimental wing. I've cut it apart to illustrate the construction. I will put carbon fiber strands on the bottom of each spar. That and the wooden interplane struts should create a very stiff wing package. This bird will have ailerons. The full-scale Dr 1 was know to be slow to roll so I'm considering ailerons on all three wings. Still thinking on that one. The rudder is only a few percent over scale in size. I'm using Robart pin hinges. They're very smooth in operation as long as they are aligned properly. I'm thinking ahead to the wheels. I'm thinking of trying to vacuform the wheels, either the entire wheel of just the rim/spoke/cover and then add rubber tubing for the actual tire part.
Feb 28, 2005, 09:45 AM
Thread OP
You can see in the photos that I use a lot of templates in my construction. I copy the plan and cut out the parts that I need and glue them to cardboard. I use the cardboard from cereal boxes, etc. I also save the clear plastic covers from Barbie boxes, toys, caserole tins, etc. to make clear templates. The thing on the left of the third photo is the side template for the fuselage. It's made of drafting mylar, an opaque film that is easily written on with pencil. I had to tape craft sticks to it to keep it flat. Craft sticks, by the way, make great struts, cabanes and tail skids. About $1-2.00 per box of 100. Power will be the Balsa Products 6.6:1 brushed motor/gearbox which sells for $8.75. I have two already. Great power.
Aug 19, 2011, 12:49 PM
Thread OP
I was looking at the parts in a box the other day and I'm thinking of resurrecting this unfinished tripe. Micro, real micro gear is so easy to come by now. Hmm...
Aug 19, 2011, 05:25 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
At 28" wingspan, normal parkflyer gear is fine for this model.
Aug 19, 2011, 10:48 PM
Thread OP
Is it that big? I'd forgotten. That's right for standard small stuff. I'm working on a 17" span DVIII right now. Aiming for under 50 grams AUW on that one.

Mike

Quick Reply