Sep 12, 2019, 06:35 PM
The Old man
Thread OP
Discussion

New to Electric but problem!

Old man flier here - flown stuff on and off over many decades. New though to electric.

Just assembled a Conscendo Advanced PNP 1.5m Parkzone powered glider.

Gear is Tactic Tx 650, paired with a Tactic Rx TR624 - a combination already used successfully in another plane (gas powered Uproar).

The problem is - motor won't run - all it does is shudder a bit when battery connected - no response to throttle movement on Tx - though periodic beeps. All servos work fine. Battery volts was 12.7 - 3S 20C. Initial binding went successfully. Rx channels used - usual - 1 for ailerons, 2 for elevator, 3 for lead from ESC for throttle and 4 for rudder.

Thus far not sure what to do - any thoughts from anyone would be very welcome as I want to fly it!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2019, 07:42 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Belgin
Old man flier here - flown stuff on and off over many decades. New though to electric.

Just assembled a Conscendo Advanced PNP 1.5m Parkzone powered glider.

Gear is Tactic Tx 650, paired with a Tactic Rx TR624 - a combination already used successfully in another plane (gas powered Uproar).

The problem is - motor won't run - all it does is shudder a bit when battery connected - no response to throttle movement on Tx - though periodic beeps. All servos work fine. Battery volts was 12.7 - 3S 20C. Initial binding went successfully. Rx channels used - usual - 1 for ailerons, 2 for elevator, 3 for lead from ESC for throttle and 4 for rudder.

Thus far not sure what to do - any thoughts from anyone would be very welcome as I want to fly it!
Make sure the motor/prop/nose-cone-spinner turn freely without any rubbing or binding .
Make sure the ESC is plugged into the throttle channel with the correct polarity ( signal-to-signal , ground-to-ground ) .
Then :
1) with the throttle stick all the way down ( zero throttle ) , turn on the transmitter .
2) plug in the battery with the plug fully inserted .
3) listen for a series of beeps indicating the motor is armed .
4) after the beeps finish , test the throttle ..... being careful with the spinning prop .

If at step two you get rapid beeping , you need to calibrate the throttle end points for the ESC .... you do that like this :

Flite Test - Throttle End Points - FAST TIP (1 min 59 sec)
Sep 12, 2019, 07:44 PM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
You mention periodic beeps. I assume this is continuous.

I may be wrong but it sounds like your ESC. It may want you to set your throttle range. Or, you might have accidentally put it in program mode. Look up the ESC instructions that came with your plane.

If you need to set the throttle range, remove your prop first!!!

Here is an example video.

Twisted Hobbys How To set ESC Throttle Calibration (1 min 56 sec)

Careful. If you wait too long before lowering the throttle stick, you might enter program mode. You DO NOT want to do this, but it is something you should be aware of. Here is a video about programming a specific ESC. Directions and options will vary, depending on your ESC.

Programming the 30 amp EFlite ESC using transmitter throttle (5 min 39 sec)

Be aware that on some transmitters, the throttle function must be reversed.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by mybad; Sep 12, 2019 at 08:00 PM.
Sep 12, 2019, 10:29 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Kris , let us know if you find a solution .
Sep 13, 2019, 09:50 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Since it's obviously a radio problem and I only use Spektrum, I can't be of much help. But in my experience when on new setup you have control of servos, but not the motor, it can sometimes be that the esc wants the motor trim reduced.

In any event, as it is a radio problem, you can get a whole bunch more eyes on your problem if you post in the Radio Forum.
Sep 13, 2019, 10:10 AM
yank and bank!!
Quote:
The problem is - motor won't run - all it does is shudder a bit when battery connected -

It is NOT "obviously" a radio problem..... it could be one of several things.
Sep 13, 2019, 11:33 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
You're right, there are other possibilities. But by radio I meant the radio system, not a specific component. This is a problem at setup, not post-crash. Quite likely a communication problem somewhere. But a defective component can't be ruled out.
Sep 13, 2019, 01:11 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by failboat
It is NOT "obviously" a radio problem..... it could be one of several things.
Such as a bad connection on one of the three motor wires.

Sep 13, 2019, 01:41 PM
The Old man
Thread OP
My huge thanks primarily to Balsa and Carbon!! Problem solved, thanks to the link to the video on YouTube. Thanks also to all others who kindly responded.

Went thru the process and bingo - we had throttle, altho had to reverse it but - relieved to have it sorted out. Thanks again to all.
Sep 13, 2019, 01:53 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
If you do things like reversing a channel, it's often best to do a re-bind.

At next switch on there could be a chance of the original channel output initially activating before the new setting. Had it happen with retracts I had to reverse.

Good to know you solved it.

Sep 13, 2019, 03:13 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
My huge thanks primarily to Balsa and Carbon!! Problem solved, thanks to the link to the video on YouTube. Thanks also to all others who kindly responded.

Went thru the process and bingo - we had throttle, altho had to reverse it but - relieved to have it sorted out. Thanks again to all.
Happy flying !
Sep 13, 2019, 04:39 PM
The Old man
Thread OP
Thanks again - however, couldn't think where else to post a totally unrelated question.

In case someone sees this - I'm darned if I can find a link for my settings and profile etc! Can anyone help this old fella?!
Sep 13, 2019, 08:42 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Thanks again - however, couldn't think where else to post a totally unrelated question.

In case someone sees this - I'm darned if I can find a link for my settings and profile etc! Can anyone help this old fella?!
If you are logged on to RC Groups on a computer , go to the top left of this page and click on "My RC Groups" .... it will then take you to a page that has "Your Control Panel" at the top left .

I don't know if it works the same way on a smart phone .
Sep 14, 2019, 07:28 AM
The Old man
Thread OP
Many thanks - dumbo here had not tried that!
Sep 14, 2019, 05:05 PM
aka ShadowVFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
Such as a bad connection on one of the three motor wires.

My quad is exhibiting this exact behavior and it turned out one of these solder points add melted from the surge in power. Once I looked at it and I was able to clean it up and resolder it and it's working fine again.

Quick Reply