Oct 14, 2019, 04:52 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Nice work Ken. Great progress.

J
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2019, 09:54 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Former behind the wing significantly improved torsional rigidity, worth the slight weight increase

Wanted to make the the cockpit tub as light as possible since its a bit on the large side so I used foam board and white glue. Total weight came in at only 1.5 oz. It may not end up as the flying cockpit since I'll have to wait and see where the batteries fit.

Completed the fitting of the rudder, now I need to glass those parts.

Threw in the 100mm Jetfan to start thinking about where to put it. I think right under the wing works best. Thats about 9 inches of exit duct. Need some room for the attachment and then the splitter.

Time to finish the wing servos and balsa inserts for the control horns.
Oct 15, 2019, 11:19 AM
Pro Hoarder
That fan looks cute in there..it sooo small...Lol
It will fly great
Latest blog entry: In flight
Oct 15, 2019, 12:36 PM
Nice Progress. At this pace, can we expect to see it at jet jam 2020?

I'm going to start the modeling work on my buckeye very soon. Thinking I might do 1/8 scale seeing as you are running a 100mm in this one.
Oct 15, 2019, 01:18 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dee
Nice Progress. At this pace, can we expect to see it at jet jam 2020?

I'm going to start the modeling work on my buckeye very soon. Thinking I might do 1/8 scale seeing as you are running a 100mm in this one.
Chris, it has been flown with a 90mm by SBritton, so you could make it the same size. I just wanted a little more thrust for my grass field
Oct 16, 2019, 07:28 PM
Wow...you are really moving along!
Oct 18, 2019, 05:58 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
No power at home for the last 2 days, so I worked on what I could with hand tools. Not much else to do without power so I did get a bit accomplished.

Got the new main struts in, bottom clearance is better. Current AoA of the wing is about 2 deg, I may raise the nose just a bit.

Made the mold for lens covers on the wing tips. Plan is couple of landing lights in the tips. Sanded the wing tank smooth, but a little mold release on it, stuck it into a small container of hydrocal, removed when hard, then some mold release into the female mold, filled with some hydro cal, let it get hard, tapped out the male mold. Have to fill the pinholes with putty. Now I just need break out the vacuformer, or send to Sparky

Got the wheel wells in the wings lined and filled the weave on the control surfaces

Somehow my fusion 360 file for the dash panel got lost. So I had to redo the panel. Good news is I learned a a few things and thought of a better way to construct it in fusion. Still needs some tweeks here and there.
Oct 18, 2019, 06:15 PM
Still without power, Ken? We had school closures yesterday due to power outages and road closures here in north central CT. Had a big tree come down on my yard. Missed the house. Crazy windy the other night.

October storms are strange. At least it didnít bring the snow we had a bunch of years back.

About the hydrocal; in dentistry we use similar things ( a variety of plaster and stone products) to make a positive (male) model out of a negative (female) mike. We pour the molds on top of a vibrating platform in order to vibrate all the air bubbles out. We donít want any voids on the surface because it destroys the accuracy.

Inexpensive. Like this one I found on Amazon.
Iíd bet you could find something you already have, like a dremel tool or a electric screw driver or a ryobi scroll saw to work in a pinch.
Last edited by JimF; Oct 18, 2019 at 06:28 PM.
Oct 18, 2019, 07:06 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
I tried to shake the bubbles out, it should be fine once I hit it with some putty. But yeah next time I'll try a little better shaking. My dremel jig saw should do it.

We got power back today. Unfortunately my 30 year old generator died and took the refrigerator with it. New parts on order for the fridge, went out and bought a new honda generator. Clean up of the yard took some time
Oct 18, 2019, 07:11 PM
go fly! no crashes!
wow! REALLY moving on the build now Ken!
Oct 18, 2019, 07:12 PM
Haven’t even started on the yard. Can’t risk evening yard work with the Equine encephalitis outbreak.
Killer skeeters
Oct 21, 2019, 03:50 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
looks awesome Ken!
Oct 21, 2019, 04:03 PM
Ken, got some info on that bronco I spot in the background?
Oct 21, 2019, 04:30 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dee
Ken, got some info on that bronco I spot in the background?
Its the kit from Parkflyer Plastics, flies pretty well
https://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/i...roducts_id=155
Oct 23, 2019, 04:24 AM
TJK
TJK
"Plan is couple of landing lights in the tips."

Ken, just an FYI. The tip tank noses had the red and green navigation lights, not white landing lights.

Quick Reply