Sep 17, 2019, 04:05 PM
This plane looks so fun. Good luck with the build. I'll be watching.

Subscribed.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2019, 06:39 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
A little more progress today. Worked on getting the rudder and stab mounted. Got things test fitted. Dont want to glue in place yet, still lots of things to do on the fuse and will nee to move it around a bit.

The stab airfoil does not match the foil molded into the fuse all that well so I will need to fill that gap a bit. Got the rudder fin trailing edge fit to shape.

Worked on some of the nomenclature as well. These are too small to cut so will probably have to make decals. Still need to check the size of everything.
Sep 18, 2019, 10:24 PM
Looking good
What program are you using to draw up decals?
Sep 18, 2019, 11:38 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
Man your cookin with oil!!
Sep 19, 2019, 05:15 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 ragtop
Looking good
What program are you using to draw up decals?
I use PowerPoint for the decals. My kids always shamed me for using it instead of GIMP or Photoshop, but after decades of use from my old job its turned into my go to program. You just have to change a few of its default parameters for better graphic resolution for decals and stuff.
Sep 19, 2019, 05:10 PM
Nice work Ken.
Sep 19, 2019, 10:34 PM
Whatever works!
I stumbled across a site that tons of different fonts, including US military. I lost the link when computer died last year. I had downloaded it, and could print anything in perfect "Navy" font. Of coarse all my stuff is still in primer, so I haven't had a chance to actually use it
I'll see if I can find it again
Sep 20, 2019, 10:42 AM
Pro Hoarder
The crusiform tail is a lot of fun to work out..The split rudder and elevators and then the fairing in the middle...
Latest blog entry: In flight
Sep 23, 2019, 03:42 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Not much progress lately, a bunch of things needed to be done around the house.
One of the project grew much larger than planned when large portions of dried paint and primer came clean off the sheet rock while I was giving it a new coat of paint.

So today I took a break and made a first cut on CAD for an ejection set. I have the plastic parts for it from the kit, but they leave much to be desired. Found a few small pictures of the seat to go by. So this is just a first draft at this point.
Sep 27, 2019, 04:39 PM
Very cool, subscribing! Best of luck with the build
Sep 29, 2019, 03:54 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Haven't done much work on the plane due to a cold knocking me out for the week. I was working out the nose gear. This is what I have so far

The plan is laid out using a nose gear that has a strut that pivots on the retract axis. I don't know of any gear that actually does that, all the gear I have seen pivot at an offset from the axis using the trunnion block.

In this case the retracted position drives where the retract goes, because the wheel has to fit into the nose, and the extended position ends up slightly behind the position on the plans. No big deal, will live with it. Just have to make sure that the nose gear doors are cut to accommodate this.

Got the strut from hobby kin, its a tad long so I cut 10mm off the end. appears to fit fine now. Next step is building the nose gear mount, cut the nose gear doors and glue in the bulkhead.

Played with the seat a little more after finding some better pics of it.

An yeah Turbo you are right, that tail fin is a PIA.
Sep 30, 2019, 01:00 PM
Pro Hoarder
I think that was designed for a firewall retract not a belly mount..pretty sure that was what mine had...
Latest blog entry: In flight
Sep 30, 2019, 01:35 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
correct it was designed for a firewall retract, but I'll just change the mount since I have a belly mount unit.
Sep 30, 2019, 04:07 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Got the nose gear mount completed. I'll add a brace to the front part once it get glued in place

Had to cut out the nose gear doors to install the bulk and nose gear.

I glued some sticks to help postion the bulkhead. This keeps the bulkhead from going too far back.

Also used a few magnets mounted inside and outside the fuse to clamp the bulkhead in position

Did the hysol thing, so now I wont touch or move it till tomorrow

One thing about this plane is that the big round fuse makes it very hard to place in a stand and have it stay in one spot.
Sep 30, 2019, 04:28 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Well, I found your thread and you are flying along with this Ken. Good read, thanks.

J

Quick Reply