View Poll Results: How do you power a 6 servo Sailplane radio?
BEC in the ESC 20 80.00%
Separate BEC 1 4.00%
Separate receiver battery 4 16.00%
Scorpion Back Up Guard 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools
Sep 14, 2019, 02:04 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
I think you have that backward. Serious competitors are generally willing risk a loss when it means gaining an edge, however slight. It's the casual fliers who tend to be more protective of their investments.
Nope ... I had it right. Then again, maybe the people you fly with have money to piss away and don't mind losing a 2K carbon glider. No one I fly with feels that way and uses some form of backup/alternative to keep power to the receiver.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2019, 02:23 PM
I'd rather be Flying
davecee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
I'm probably going to use a Castle Edge w/5 amp BEC. I was just looking for a consensus on 6 servo use. The small, light LiFe packs seem like a good insurance policy.

I have a BUG in a Carbon Cub, and yes, it's easy to forget. I just looked on their website and it js out of stock and "can't be ordered". I wonder if it's being discontinued.
What amp rating ESC will you use for the plane? I quit using CC many years ago. HobbyWing is my preferred brand. I've been flying electric for over 30 years. I've certainly not tried all brands, but I consider the HW brand to be the best I've used. Reasonably priced and reliable. I've never had one fail or function improperly.
The FlyFun v5 with SBEC has a switch mode BEC with a rating of 8 amps continuous and 20 amps peak (except the 30 amp ESC which has a 3 amp/7 amp BEC) . They also make stand alone SBECs.

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/coll.../flyfun-series
Last edited by davecee; Sep 14, 2019 at 02:29 PM.
Sep 14, 2019, 02:25 PM
Professional sink locator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufo
Nope ... I had it right. Then again, maybe the people you fly with have money to piss away and don't mind losing a 2K carbon glider. No one I fly with feels that way and uses some form of backup/alternative to keep power to the receiver.
I totally agree.
Just about all of the pilots that I fly with also use some type of backup.
No one wants to loose a 2-3K plane due to a bad battery or ESC.
Sep 14, 2019, 05:34 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
I have a Castle Edge Lite 50 running a Kontronik planetary geared at around 45 amps. Also considered using an old Phoenix 60 with seperate battery, or BUG.

Plane is an old Omega/Magellan 2.5. Not flying a $2-3k plane. I'm using Futaba analog micros, and will be using a Lemon rx for the built in vario.

I have also been at this a long time. I remember being excited when Nicd Sub Cs went from 1200mah to 1500mah
Sep 14, 2019, 06:55 PM
I'd rather be Flying
davecee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
I have a Castle Edge Lite 50 running a Kontronik planetary geared at around 45 amps. Also considered using an old Phoenix 60 with seperate battery, or BUG.

Plane is an old Omega/Magellan 2.5. Not flying a $2-3k plane. I'm using Futaba analog micros, and will be using a Lemon rx for the built in vario.

I have also been at this a long time. I remember being excited when Nicd Sub Cs went from 1200mah to 1500mah
I'm a just a sport flyer. I don't do high dollar planes anymore. I'm a big fan of foam. I recently got my first flights on my FMS 3 meter foam Fox. It's a 6 servo powered glider. I'm content to use the predator 70 amp ESC with the built in BEC. Seriously, I've only had one actual BEC failure in all my years and that was an overvolted (10 NiCads instead of the rated 7 ) linear BEC years ago. I think the Phoenix 60 with an add on switching BEC (disable the linear BEC in the Phoenix) would work great. I've used add on BECs a few times. I haven't used a separate receiver battery for years. I love Lemon receivers, they work great.
Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about using a robust BEC, either within the ESC or as an add on. Best of luck.
Sep 14, 2019, 09:52 PM
Sailplane Mafia
gquiring's Avatar
I use YEP ESC's which have a 6 amp SBEC. They work great with 6 servos. I never had an issue.
Sep 15, 2019, 03:12 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring
I use YEP ESC's which have a 6 amp SBEC. They work great with 6 servos. I never had an issue.
Same here, no problems
Sep 16, 2019, 04:55 PM
Registered User
Who in the U.S. sells YEP?
Sep 16, 2019, 05:07 PM
Sailplane Mafia
gquiring's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufo
Who in the U.S. sells YEP?
Hobby King
Sep 17, 2019, 06:13 AM
Registered User
I use a Castle Lite 50 ESC BEC with the dual input Zepsus magnetic switch. Backup battery is a 2/3 AAA pack 300 ma. Weighs about an ounce. I've also used a 1S HV LiPo. The Zepsus is 11 grams with cables. . The Zepsus chooses the higher input voltage to feed to the RX. Using HV servos I set the ESC to 7.8 v. FrSky TX/RX telemetry is set so that if the RX voltage drops below 7v, I get a voltage readout to the RX every 20 seconds. Never happened, but like others have noted, great insurance. Link to Zepsus: https://www.soaringusa.com/Zepsus-Du...ategory_id=172
Sep 17, 2019, 07:51 AM
e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
Miami Mike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Andersen
I use a Castle Lite 50 ESC BEC with the dual input Zepsus magnetic switch.
Why use a switch at all in an electric-powered model?

I guess you have no choice if you're using a backup battery, but it seems to me that you're only opening the door to a lot of other possible problems.
Last edited by Miami Mike; Sep 17, 2019 at 07:56 AM.
Sep 17, 2019, 12:12 PM
I'd rather be Flying
davecee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
Why use a switch at all in an electric-powered model?

I guess you have no choice if you're using a backup battery, but it seems to me that you're only opening the door to a lot of other possible problems.
I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principle.
Sep 17, 2019, 06:54 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee
I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principle.
Generally, I am too. However, KISS is long gone with the advent of receiver telemetry, advanced transmitters (BT/WIFI/ETC) and cellphones that will program a receiver and ESC.

One advantage to a switch is the safety factor that enables one to better keep all their fingers. Electric props are far more sturdier than the gas wooden props. There are some hotliners that have carbon props that could probably take off a hand. An extra safety switch is always nice and the magnetic switches are far less prone to failure than the old mechanical slide switch.

Of course the external switch is not needed if you program a toggle on the transmitter as a kill switch. Depends on the level of safety more than on the degree of KISS.
Sep 17, 2019, 06:58 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
Why use a switch at all in an electric-powered model?

I guess you have no choice if you're using a backup battery, but it seems to me that you're only opening the door to a lot of other possible problems.
Well, I guess it's a question of picking your possible points of failure. The other options are to just run a BEC and hope it never fails or that the LiPo will never fail, or run a dedicated RX battery. If you run a dedicated RX battery, it's either a switch or unplug after every flight. The Scorpion backups are good and I used them for awhile until I got tired of either leaving them turned on or the switch getting bumped in storage. If the battery gets drained on them, toss them in the trash. As others have indicated, some kind of backup is worth a bit of work and an ounce of weight in a large $2K+ model.

The Zepsus magnetic switches are extremely reliable, very small and I think a better option than plugging and unplugging the backup backup battery every flight. Plug the backup battery in at the start of the day, and unplug at the end of the day. A swipe of a magnet turns it on or off. The dual input Zepsus switch will choose the higher voltage source. I know of no failures with these switches. Plugging and unplugging mechanically does offer a larger chance of failure. Just my humble opinion. Has worked with no problems for me for a couple of years. For me it is a simple solution with fewer points of failure. Do what you like and what works for you.
Last edited by Barry Andersen; Sep 17, 2019 at 07:06 PM.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:13 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufo
Generally, I am too. However, KISS is long gone with the advent of receiver telemetry, advanced transmitters (BT/WIFI/ETC) and cellphones that will program a receiver and ESC.

One advantage to a switch is the safety factor that enables one to better keep all their fingers. Electric props are far more sturdier than the gas wooden props. There are some hotliners that have carbon props that could probably take off a hand. An extra safety switch is always nice and the magnetic switches are far less prone to failure than the old mechanical slide switch.

Of course the external switch is not needed if you program a toggle on the transmitter as a kill switch. Depends on the level of safety more than on the degree of KISS.
I have a separate "engine armed" switch as part of OpenTx/FrSky. The motor will not start without arming and arming can be setup to give a repeating "engine armed" audible warning. You're correct, the new CF props are sharp and strong. I saw a pilot pretty badly cut at this years ALES NATS.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Ibus or ppm not work on my Lumenier ALPHA AIO F4 OSD/BEC/CS 30A x ESC Wjon84 Beginner Multirotor Drones 2 Apr 18, 2018 07:17 PM
Question To BEC or not to BEC patrick181 Power Systems 61 Feb 28, 2016 03:50 PM
Alert OFFICIAL DJI's Geo system POLL.. How many will sell or not buy DJI if implemented? Deserteagle Multirotor Drone Talk 69 Jan 07, 2016 05:05 PM
Poll Poll: Fly DJI with internet connected devices or not? bmschulman Multirotor Drone Talk 6 Oct 06, 2015 12:07 PM