Sep 17, 2019, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne65
Hi: Stan

Thank You for the kind words.
I am not sure what kit it is. The guy I got it from thought is was a Star-Max but not sure. The info that came with it were just some photos to build it and were not much help.
I will tell you this much. I have built a lot of the old Com-Bat Models jets and it is almost the same size as My F-18. All of the Com-bat Models were built around a .45 2cycl. pusher prop Gas motor that is close to an 80mm to 90mm size EDF. It is not hard to convert an EDF to a pusher Prop. If you want to build a nice size pusher prop jet, I would look into just getting a body kit of the jet you like in a 70mm to 90mm size and a .55 size electric motor should have more then enough power to fly it.
Keep in mind that foam jets work better as a grass lander then a wood or fiberglass jet.
You still need to put some fiberglass on the bottom of a foam jet for add protection on landings BUT fiberglass and wood kits do not like grass landings ( the flexing on the landing will cause more cracks and breaks for wood and fiberglass kits).
Everyone should know...Crack is bad.....JUST SAY NO TO Drugs....LOL

Wayne..
Wayne, Thanks for some more great tips. I have saved pictures and text for future builds. I can't believe others have not chimed in on this thread.
EDFs are getting better and so are batteries but pusher props are still the cheaper way to go with added flight time and performance.

BTW, Did you do a build thread on the scratch built F-106? That is one of my favorite jets. I was stationed at Travis AFB in California in the 1960s. We had a squadron of F-106s getting ready to go to Vietnam. Those jets were amazing.
Cheers
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 12:17 PM
Thread OP
Hi: Stan
Thank you, I am more then glad to help when I can. I may not have all the answers or even the right one's BUT I will get close.....LOL
That's COOL you worked with and around the F-106.
The scratch built F-106 I had in the 90's was built by Glen Cory of Cincinnati OH.
He later sold the moldes to Century Jet Models. BUT... C.J.M. Closed the doors last year and is trying to sale what's left of CJM. I think Glen made a new F-106 mold when I talked to him last year at a jet meet.
The F-106 I have now, Before I converted my F-106 from .OS .91 Duct Fan to Electric, I almost made it a pusher Prop....... LOL . I was going to mount the motor where the air speed break is located. I like taking old Duct Fans and making them electric.

This it the F-106 Glen built in the 90"
Sep 17, 2019, 12:22 PM
Thread OP
This is the F-106 I have now. 120mm EDF on a 12 cell setup
Sep 17, 2019, 01:51 PM
Quote:
This is the F-106 I have now. 120mm EDF on a 12 cell setup
It doesn't get any better then that. I am really surprised the foam jet manufacturers have not come up with a 70 - 90mm F-106.

I was following the maker of this one on RCU. He was going to start producing kits again but it was put on hold.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...nt-Scale-Usher Another beauty.
Sep 17, 2019, 02:08 PM
Thread OP
Yes, The F-106 I have now is an Usher kit.
Sep 17, 2019, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Yes, The F-106 I have now is an Usher kit.
NICE No wonder it looks so good.
Sep 17, 2019, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
I think when Century Jet Models gets bought by someone then it should not be to long to get your hands on a F-106. I saw sometime back that someone was working on a BIG F-106 but I have not seen it pop up yet. I am sure it will be turbine only being that big.
Sep 18, 2019, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
You know what's funny,
When I bring my F-18 pusher prop jet to a fly-in, People will walk up to me and tell me how cool the flight was with the bomb drops AND THEN... notice that it is a pusher prop. Most people are spectators but I do get a hand full RC pilots also.....LOL
That tells me that people are focusing on the jet and its flight and not so much what power plant is in it.
Sep 18, 2019, 06:59 PM
The Diehard EDF scale guy might not approve of your power system but he can't fault your realistic flight.
Here is an example of an early propjet, pictures taken in the summer of 1968 at a rc meet in central California. All foam constructed balsa covered and Monokote finish, 2 - .60cuin glow motors in the inboard nacelles. Flying it looked like the real thing.
Sep 19, 2019, 06:04 AM
Thread OP
That's Cool.
Back in 1979, I saw one just like that at a fly-in at Lexington KY. When it was in the air, you could not see the props. It looked so cool in the air.
I wanted to build one but I was not even close to knowing how to do it.....LOL
I would like to build a large airliner with four EDF's..... BUT ..... My wallet keeps saying
NO... it will be four Electric props, Duct Tape and Foam.....LOL

Quick Reply