Apr 05, 2020, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor
Can't replicate it. Screen shot below is after 2 minutes of power on time. I think this is nothing to worry about.
Interesting: only 6 fades on A, but 17 frame losses.
Usually the number of frame losses is approximately equal to (or even slightly less than) the number of fades for other Spektrum diversity receivers.

chris
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2020, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
4 minutes means 4 * 60 * 90 frames sent. That's 21600 frames. Of that 16 were lost. That's 0.074% error rate - less than 1 in 1000.

15 minutes would be 15 * 60 * 90 frames. That's 81000. 50 of 81000 means 1 in 1620 frames lost, or 0.062% lost.

The AR637T has a much more sensitive receiver, meaning it can hear better when farther away. You have much better control range now than you had before.

I don't think you have a problem. 1 in 1620 frames is pretty darn good.

Andy
Thanks Andy. I still feel a bit uncomfortable seeing so many frame losses as well as multiple fades. The fact is I have been comparing it to my other Spektrum receivers which rarely go higher than 15 frame losses after more than 5 minutes of flying. I guess I should compare it to another AR637 in a similar environment.
Apr 08, 2020, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeclothes
Thanks Andy. I still feel a bit uncomfortable seeing so many frame losses as well as multiple fades. The fact is I have been comparing it to my other Spektrum receivers which rarely go higher than 15 frame losses after more than 5 minutes of flying. I guess I should compare it to another AR637 in a similar environment.
  • Do you have an EU radio?
  • What does the dBm value read in the Fligth Log Telemetry Screen? Something fixed like "-5 dBm" or does it vary?

chris
Apr 08, 2020, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_0815
  • Do you have an EU radio?
  • What does the dBm value read in the Fligth Log Telemetry Screen? Something fixed like "-5 dBm" or does it vary?

chris
No, this is not an EU radio. Flight Log screen does not show dBm values at all.
Apr 09, 2020, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Flight Log screen does not show dBm values at all.
Interesting, since I got the impression, that all new RXs show dBm values in the Flight Log Telemetry screen, and dBm and RSSI (like 100%R) values in the Range Test screen ...

chris
Apr 09, 2020, 07:37 AM
Better SAFE than sorry!
My setup is showing dBm. I'm using the AR637T with a DX9 on AirWare 2.05, US versions.
Apr 09, 2020, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr
My setup is showing dBm. I'm using the AR637T with a DX9 on AirWare 2.05, US versions.
OK - as a non-electrical guy what is a optimum value for dBm and what is a value that should make me worry?
Apr 09, 2020, 08:13 AM
Better SAFE than sorry!
That -40 dBm reading in the screen shot was taken with the transmitter practically on top of the plane. You want it to be as close to 0 as possible, and I'd say -40 is about as close as you're going to get. As the signal gets weaker, it will become bigger negative numbers (-50, -60, etc.) There will be a point where the signal is so bad that the receiver has a hard time picking it up, but I'm not sure where that point would be exactly for these receivers.
Apr 09, 2020, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyindy
OK - as a non-electrical guy what is a optimum value for dBm and what is a value that should make me worry?
As an electrical guy, I can tell you there's not a great answer to that. RSSI values fall off quickly, so you can't assume a linear relationship. The lowest it will report is -97dBm, at which point you are probably already in big trouble. But -85dBm is probably fine.

My recommendation is to run TX firmware 2.05, go into the Telemetry page in settings, click Flight Log, scroll to the "dBm" entry, and change it to %. We tried to make a % range curve that is more intuitive than dBm.

Matt
Apr 09, 2020, 08:48 AM
I think %R is the item to choose, not %.

Andy
Apr 09, 2020, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I think %R is the item to choose, not %.

Andy
Thanks to Andy, Matt and flightengr for the great information.
Apr 09, 2020, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr
So why is my DX8 not showing dBm? It does show RSSI though. I am running AirWare 2.05 too and it's definitely US.
Apr 09, 2020, 04:22 PM
Never mind my previous post, I figured it's in the Flight Log setup.
Apr 09, 2020, 04:52 PM
Quote:
So why is my DX8 not showing dBm? It does show RSSI though. I am running AirWare 2.05 too and it's definitely US.
Glad you figured it out. For the sake of the next guy...

I just created a new model and bound it to an AR637T and made the pictures below.

In the Telemetry Menu, select Flight Log. See picture 1.

On the Flight Log Setup screen, select either dBm or %R units. See pictures 2 and 3. (The default setting was dBm.)

The results show as pictures 4 and 5.

Andy
Apr 10, 2020, 04:01 AM
Quote:
No, this is not an EU radio. Flight Log screen does not show dBm values at all.
Sorry, I was not precise enough: what kind of signal strength information is shown in the Flight Log screen (dBm, RSSI: %, or Range: %R) depends on the unit you configured, like Andy showed in the previous post. I just took "dBm" as an example for signal strength.

In my Range Test screen, always dBm is shown, and additionally either RSSI % or Range %R, depending on the selected unit.

Now the question remains: do your signal strength values vary in the Range Test screen if you change between "FULL POWER" and "REDUCED POWER" by pressing the Bind switch labeled I?

chris

Quick Reply