This thread is privately moderated by Kmot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 11, 2019, 09:52 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
Discussion

The first RC kit I ever built was a ...

House of Balsa Me-109. I built it in 1974, or maybe 1975. It had a Cox TD .049 engine. The radio was an Aero Sport from Hobby Shack. The servos were standard size, the receiver battery was a 4-cell NiCd pack. The plane was heavy. Hand launching it, I would give a mighty heave while the TD was screaming. It would dip, almost smack the ground, and slowly gain flying speed. Once it was flying, it hauled like a raped ape.

Being without a throttle, you just flew till it ran out of fuel. And then hoped you made it back to the runway. The last time I flew it, it did not make it back to the runway. It landed off in the dirt field. But since it had rained recently, it was soft dirt. So no damage happened. I put the plane away and moved onto another model as I was just starting in RC and was excited about getting new planes.

I kept this HoB Me-109 with me for decades, Wherever I moved too, it came along. In 1996 I moved into my current house. I have a metal storage shed out back. The Me-109 was stored in this shed along with a couple of other models from my early RC days. In 2005 (hard to believe 14 years ago already!) I was playing with the idea of getting it into flying shape again. Unfortunately, it had become so brittle that after taking these photos, it crumbled when I tried to take it apart. So I saved the pilot bust and the engine and scrapped the airframe.

I restored the engine a few years ago, and it is ready to be used again if the opportunity ever arises.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2019, 11:41 AM
You've had that plane for far longer than WWII was to 1975 (which seemed like ancient history back then). 30 years separating 1975 from 1945. But 1975 was 44 years ago. Weird, eh?

Wish I had one of my old models! I had a friend who held on to a couple of my planes up until about ten years ago. Finally revisited him last summer and was sad to not see them again. I didn't say anything but I sure would have liked to have another look.
Sep 14, 2019, 11:08 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
Thanks CGordon. Something I wish I had done back in my early RC days, was get a camera and take photos of my stuff. I have only about 6 pictures from back then and I really regret not having the foresight to take photos.
Sep 15, 2019, 03:02 PM
I also have few photos, I think just 2 or 3. A shame my family rarely took photos, it was so expensive to get developed and you had to sort of have an interest in photography to do anything but the obligatory group shots.

One thing I have done, I keep a folder on my PC with subfolders for every model can remember. Over time I've accumulated a very nice set of other people's photos, usually from "for sale" items. But also plans, pictures of the boxes, etc. Memories are an instant trigger when I see these!
Yesterday, 12:31 AM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
That's a great idea, what you have done.

Quick Reply