Sep 11, 2019, 08:59 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Power system connectors

Ive just acquired a 95" 3dhs extra 330sc-e the current owner used some Amass 7mm anti spark connectors im not familiar with. The plane has a xpower 60cc and castle hv160 esc. I plan to run it 12s but all my 6s batts have ec5 connectors. Will these handle the load or am i creating a current choke with them? Also ive never had connecting with a little spark cause an issue is this something I should worry with on a system of this size
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2019, 01:39 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Without some anti-spark device, you'll certainly get a big spark when you connect a 12S pack. EC5 connectors are rather marginal for that setup, hence the 7mm anti-spark connectors already fitted.
Sep 12, 2019, 03:36 PM
Pro Hoarder
You will get a good spark on 12s with out a capacitor for anti spark. It will work fine with the EC5 but you need to keep an eye on the connector condition over time. Or add a capacitor connection. One thing to consider is the amp draw. It is more important when it comes to connector size and type. I pull 100 amps on EC5 and there are no problems..Again you must check connector condition on a regular basis.
Latest blog entry: In flight
Sep 13, 2019, 01:01 PM
Battery Puffer
For 12s you absolutely need an anti spark device. You can make one using a resistor. But if you don't the spark on 12s can blow a bullet apart. I have done it before. The simple way to fix your problem is to add more amass bullets to your existing batteries. YEP controllers have an anti spark built into the esc so you don't have to do anything. This is what I use in my 12s jet.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/yep-180a...ller-opto.html
Sep 13, 2019, 09:10 PM
And You're Not
I just loop one lead of a small resistor (I think this is 10 ohm 1/2 watt) off one lead of the ESC. The exposed loop end is not connected, the other end is soldered to the bullet. Touch the battery lead to the resistor lead, this lets the current flow stabilize before plugging in. Keeps the bullet from getting arc marks all over it, too.

In this pic, one negative battery lead is plugged into the negative ECS lead. The positive of that pack goes to the negative of the other, and the remaining positive lead goes to the positive ESC connector with the resistor loop on it. Some people are uncomfortable with bullet to bullet connections, as long as you always plug a battery lead into the ESC first, the rest will work itself out. I've never shorted this arrangement following that one rule. Unplugging any bullet pair disarms the power.

Sep 14, 2019, 04:09 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
You will get a good spark on 12s with out a capacitor for anti spark. ...
You probably meant adding a resistor, not a capacitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby61
... Also I've never had connecting with a little spark cause an issue is this something I should worry with on a system of this size
12s is BLAP&ZAP country.

But, on the other hand ... "The spark is your friend".
(CastleCreations).

No spark, then input caps are dead and rest of controller will soon follow (spikes higher than batteryvoltage). Preferably taking plane down with it
Explanation
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?952523-too-long-battery-wires-will-kill-ESC-over-time-precautions-solutions-workarounds

On the other hand, too big a spark is bad for connectors. Not to mention your nerves.
Solution: move the spark to a cheap extra sacrificial connector.
The extra/very thin wire will reduce current, no need for resistor, or choose resistor small enough to reduce spark but still visible/audible. You'll still hear a (weaker) spark as an ok signal/indication.

from
www.mgm-compro.com (professional) &
www.mgm-controllers.com (hobby)
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Sep 15, 2019 at 09:07 AM.
Sep 15, 2019, 08:52 AM
I use these connectors which have the anti-spark resistor built into them

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/xt90-s-a...pairs-bag.html
Latest blog entry: Assembling a Spandau kit.
Sep 16, 2019, 10:18 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
I use the same Amass XT-90 connectors but get them from Amazon. Five pairs for $15.

https://smile.amazon.com/Youme-Anti-...QYQJ3D6NTQDZRP
Sep 16, 2019, 02:13 PM
Thread OP
Ok i got the as150 anti sparks the set came with some male connectors with no antispark and some with antispark. Do i put the antispark on the esc leads or the battery
Sep 19, 2019, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby61
Ok i got the as150 anti sparks the set came with some male connectors with no antispark and some with antispark. Do i put the antispark on the esc leads or the battery
Well you should always place the male connectors on the ESC and lipo charger, and the Female connectors on the batteries. Thus with the XT-90 connectors the ones with the green stripe are female and would go on the batteries then. There is less risk of accidentally shorting out the battery with the female connectors on them.
Last edited by earlwb; Sep 19, 2019 at 06:19 AM. Reason: add more info

Quick Reply