Sep 11, 2019, 05:04 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Knife Edge Flap to Elevator Mix

Trying to setup flap to elevator mix on DS-16. I found the video about using a V curve, but trying to figure out how to set different elevator values for left rudder and right rudder. Also, would like to know how to setup a dial or slider for first time adjustment.

Thanks, Bill.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2019, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc1960
Trying to setup flap to elevator mix on DS-16. I found the video about using a V curve, but trying to figure out how to set different elevator values for left rudder and right rudder. Also, would like to know how to setup a dial or slider for first time adjustment.

Thanks, Bill.
Your post is very confusing. You say Knife edge flap to elevator mix but are asking how to set different values for left and right rudder. Never heard of a knife edge mix of flap to elevator and if your actually interested in a flap to elevator mix there is no rudder involved. I thought perhaps you meant an Aileron to Elevator mix but that really isn't a useful knife edge mix either and rudder isn't involved. The only thing I can think of that make any sense is a rudder to Aileron knife edge mix so I'll describe how to do that.

1) Using Function Assignment menu create a function named Rud2Ail (or any name you like) and assign your rudder stick to it. It's perfectly fine to have a control assigned to multiple functions.

2) In the Fine Tuning, Function Curve menu select your newly created Rud2Ail function and change it to be a 3 point curve (or as many points as you want.
This will allow you to select the left side of the curve (left rudder value) and right side of the curve (right rudder value) and make them different (not a straight line) to left side and right side knife edge values.

3) Create a mix of Rud2Ail to Aileron and assign a master value to it. You can also assign a proportional control to the switch field which will scale the master value and the effective value will show up next to the master value in parens..

4) Fly the plane and adjust your tuning knob so the plane flies straight on the side that requires the highest mix value. Try to take note of how much less (if any) is needed on the other side..

5) land the plane and set your master value to the value in parans and center the tuning knob.

6) Using the rud2ail function curve adjust the side that needed less correction as needed. In other words if you felt that left side knife edge only needed about 75% as much correction as right side know edge adjust the left side of the function curve to be 75%.

7) test fly and adjust as needed.

It sounds way more complicated than it really is. IF this isn't what your looking for then you'll need to reword your question..
Sep 11, 2019, 11:42 AM
Thread OP

Meant rudder to elevator

Sorry, I meant rudder to elevator. I have what I call a pro pilot helping get my plane tuned in. He just isn't familiar with Jeti.
He said one way, I believe right rudder, needed no elevator on knife edge, and left rudder did.
Sep 11, 2019, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc1960
Sorry, I meant rudder to elevator. I have what I call a pro pilot helping get my plane tuned in. He just isn't familiar with Jeti.
He said one way, I believe right rudder, needed no elevator on knife edge, and left rudder did.
Ok, then the procedure I described will work, it will just make more sense to name the intermediate function Rud2Ele instead. If right side needs no mix then set the right side of the 3 point Rud2Ele function curve to 0 (horizontal line) and leave the left side alone. Select your tuning knob (P7 or P8) as the switch function for the mix and set your master value to something you're sure will be large enough like 10% and tune the left side mix in flight. It will probably be a fairly small value if the plane needs no right side mix. Once it's flying straight on the left side read the effective mix value in parns next to master value and then set the master value to that and clear the tuning knob selection (or not, it's up to you) as you probably don't need it anymore. If later you find you need some right side mix, simply adjust the right side of the Rud2Ele function curve.. Done. Have fun..

Wayne
Sep 11, 2019, 02:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455
Ok, then the procedure I described will work, it will just make more sense to name the intermediate function Rud2Ele instead. If right side needs no mix then set the right side of the 3 point Rud2Ele function curve to 0 (horizontal line) and leave the left side alone. Select your tuning knob (P7 or P8) as the switch function for the mix and set your master value to something you're sure will be large enough like 10% and tune the left side mix in flight. It will probably be a fairly small value if the plane needs no right side mix. Once it's flying straight on the left side read the effective mix value in parns next to master value and then set the master value to that and clear the tuning knob selection (or not, it's up to you) as you probably don't need it anymore. If later you find you need some right side mix, simply adjust the right side of the Rud2Ele function curve.. Done. Have fun..

Wayne
Thank you. We will give it a try next time out.

Bill.

Quick Reply