Sep 13, 2019, 11:04 AM
Troppo1 - I cannot wait to hear and/or see your maiden tomorrow. I am especially interested to see how this plane performs flight wise as well as take off and landings on the water as I live on a lake and I am considering this plane for flying at my lake.

What do you think of the SIZE?

Thank you for the pictures
Last edited by lvflyer; Sep 13, 2019 at 11:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2019, 11:28 AM
Aussie freezing in Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvflyer
Troppo1 - I cannot wait to hear and/or see your maiden tomorrow. I am especially interested to see how this plane performs flight wise as well as take off and landings on the water as I live on a lake and I am considering this plane for flying at my lake.

What do you think of the SIZE?

Thank you for the pictures
Small. Floats close together. I expect it will be a handful to land smoothly after flying the wide based floats on the kingfisher and bigger 2mtr planes. Will see.
Finish is OK for the price. Nose cone seems only held on by the side stickers. Wings will never come off again and if it's a great fun plane to fly it will live on the boat. With the tidewater kingfisher and Albatross. Find out tomorrow.
Sep 13, 2019, 11:38 AM
Troppo1 Wonderful - I have the Albatross (still in the box) and I have other float planes. How do you like the the Kingfisher for flight characteristics and water takeoffs and landings?
Sep 13, 2019, 12:28 PM

Rx and battery placement

Battery can't be moved back because it is up against wing spar.
Rx if no stabilisation can go on the back of the wheel box and down to the side.
With stabilisation I need to modify wheel box or move up into cockpit. Not much wind tomorrow so stab not needed but I tend to fly in lots of wind so it has to go in.
Last edited by Troppo1; Sep 13, 2019 at 12:38 PM.
Sep 13, 2019, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvflyer
Troppo1 Wonderful - I have the Albatross (still in the box) and I have other float planes. How do you like the the Kingfisher for flight characteristics and water takeoffs and landings?
Kingfisher on 3s is a bit slow. On 4s with different motor is fantastic. No bad habits. Easy to T.O and land. My go to float plane.

Tip for albatros .
Slow power to get on step. Don't hit the throttle or it will dig a float in. L
Land with speed. Touchdown on back of Hull and drop power. Hope you are used to using rudder to takeoff and land. Great plane to fly.
Last edited by Troppo1; Sep 13, 2019 at 12:46 PM.
Sep 13, 2019, 01:27 PM

Rx placement solved

I cut a channel in the wheel box to fit the servo wires better and velcroed the Rx to the battery box cover. Need to extend some servo wires for better access.
If its a keeper I will redo the cockpit for FPV battery and Rx. No more turning the plane over.
No one see's my planes so looks are not a big thing. I like to be able to swap batteries easily and get another flight in
Sep 13, 2019, 02:31 PM
Hey Troppo1,

Thanks for your posts. After seeing the battery system, Iím gonna pass on this one. Good luck on your maiden!

Mickydee
Sep 13, 2019, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee
Hey Troppo1,

Thanks for your posts. After seeing the battery system, Iím gonna pass on this one. Good luck on your maiden!

Mickydee
totally agree, if I had seen it I wouldnt have bought it either.
But,
I havent had a new plane for ages so I am happy to totally modify it to battery topside, and play with it until happy.
plus its the first low-wing float plane and it will stay on the boat and maybe fly it a lot or just keep it as spare and stick to my Albatross and Kingfisher on 4s.
If I can get 10min flight time and good speed, fast rolls, fun landings and T.O I will be happy.
Small size like this and the Tidewater are great for small anchorages, Albatross and Kingfisher for out on the lakes
Sep 14, 2019, 03:28 AM

Nose cap needs magnets

I was right. Cowling only held in by the 2 stickers on the side. Heaps of room for small magnets or just more sticky tape.
Sep 14, 2019, 08:34 AM

On the way there

On the way to our flying anchorage. Fly later today and early tomorrow. If the camera work's OK I will load video up late tomorrow when I get home.
Sep 14, 2019, 10:04 AM

Great in the air. Not on the water

As I first said the floats are too close together.
No flaps to get it off the water easily.
No wind to give extra lift.
Not enough rudder throw standard.
Hard to steer easily on the water.
Wobbles side to side on floats.
Too much gas and a float digs in, wing tip digs in, ground loop and floats ripped off.
In the air it's great. Heaps of power. Good roll rate. Good everything.
Landing same problem as T.O
Got 1 good flight in and trimmed
Gorilla glue on floats, let it and electrics dry. Then try again
Sep 14, 2019, 10:55 AM

Inexperienced water pilots No

If your inexperienced on the water buy a Tidewater. Best plane to learn how to land and takeoff on water.
Then the FMS Kingfisher. Still the best allround plane on the market for beginners. Land and water. And then power up and it's a ball. Tundra also but Kingfisher is much more forgiving for beginners.
TL2000
1st. Flaperons
2nd. max rudder throw
3rd. Put a bar or something across the floats to stabilise them on the water
4th. Cut up the cockpit for battery tray or leave it as it is.
Great plane in the air and I would say easy on land. Wheels might be a bit small on grass?
Not for beginners on water.
Glued up ready to go again but I prefer to fly the bigger planes until this gets flaps and mods.

Edit...

Because it was fun in the air and nice size for on the boat and its a cute plane, I am going to make new 2in 50mm wider float struts and maybe new wider floats, these don't have enough flotation at the back.
Strengthen the fuse attachment points if needed, but I expect with flaps, wider stance, more flotation and more rudder throw it will be much easier to control on the water.
Good winter project. Our flying boating season is nearly over. Too bloody cold after October.
And there's heaps of room up front for a bigger motor if I go my usual route and over power my slower planes.
No good having a big hobby workshop and not using it.
Last edited by Troppo1; Sep 15, 2019 at 02:23 AM.
Sep 15, 2019, 12:14 PM
Hi,

Any chance we can see a picture of your boat? Looks like you have something pretty cool 😎.
Sep 15, 2019, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee
Hi,

Any chance we can see a picture of your boat? Looks like you have something pretty cool 😎.
Check out Steve Troppo on you tube. Boat and all my flights are up there
Sep 15, 2019, 12:29 PM

Tundra or Kingfisher floats.

This will work with a few mod's to the struts.
Bit lower and not too wide apart.
The amount of movement in the original floats is just crazy. Very poorly designed for water.
Will pull them apart and see what can be done.

Quick Reply