Sep 11, 2019, 12:14 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Inlaying LED strips into foam surface.. Anyone done it?

Hi Gang,

Anyone ever inlay LED strips into foam wing and fuse surfaces? I'm contemplating doing this to keep aerodynamic disturbances to a minimum, on a 54" foam 3d plane.....as opposed to just laying them on the surface....I'm wondering if heating and pressing into the foam with a metal die the width of the strip will let the foam depress...?..., then clear packing tape on top ... looking for a clean install...Any tips clean install or not are welcome and appreciated..
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2019, 09:58 AM
Registered Foam Abuser
I used a dremel with the router attachment. Cut a channel and mounted the LED's facing inward. Came out great.
Sep 16, 2019, 02:20 PM
Thread OP
Ok that looks outstanding!!! A+++

What plane is that?

Do you have any daylight close up pics showing the LED install ?
Sep 18, 2019, 07:09 PM
Always in the Glue
I did my glider wing with LED strips. I carved out trenches with a utility knife to mount the strips under the wing profile. Then the wing was covered with laminate film to bridge the gap. Following that, opaque covering material to finish the surface.
Here is the finished wing....
Sep 20, 2019, 02:58 AM
Thread OP
Ok looks good, bet that shows up great! Any night pics?

So it seems it can be done.. without much fuse...

Quick Reply