Power on the transmitter
Press the roller bar,
scroll to system setup,
press the roller bar,
scroll to yes,
press the roller bar,
scroll to channel assignment,
press the roller bar
This will bring you to channel assignments.
On a DX8 G2, for airplane model type with normal wing and normal tail the default channel assignments are:
1 Throttle
2 Aileron
3 Elevator
4 Rudder
5 Gear
6 Aux 1
7 Aux 2
8 Aux 3

With all due respect these things are in the manual.
Last edited by davecee; Sep 12, 2019 at 02:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2019, 03:00 PM
The Other Side of Your Screen
For the TX maybe, but not for the RX.

But then, I will hazard to guess that the sans antenna wire RX's were probably not designed for airplanes.
Sep 12, 2019, 03:34 PM
I'd rather be Flying
The transmitter assigns the channels, the receiver accepts what the transmitter sends. If throttle is "1" on the transmitter, then plug your ESC or throttle servo into "1" on the receiver It's not that hard to understand.
I've got lots of Spektrum air receivers and other brands that do not have anything but numbers for the receiver slots. I've even got some with absolutely no markings for the receiver slots.
Spektrum transmitter default for airplane model type for the first four channels is:
1 Throttle
2 Aileron
3 Elevator
4 Rudder
AFAIK the Spektrum receivers with no external antenna were first designed for ground vehicles, but air versions were developed later. That has no bearing on the labeling of the servo ports on the receivers.
Sep 13, 2019, 07:04 PM
Thread OP

Surprise!

The inputs to the servos and the outputs from the EXC had unusual wiring in that the BRNs and the REDs had been switched! So I just had to re-switch them and they worked.
For this the LHS helped, a bit, even tho' he only sold me the RX.
Another oddity is that the spst switch from the ESC needs to be set to RED to work.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I've learned a lot.
Peter
Sep 13, 2019, 09:24 PM
homo ludens modellisticus

Sep 13, 2019, 09:47 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatt
The inputs to the servos and the outputs from the EXC had unusual wiring in that the BRNs and the REDs had been switched! So I just had to re-switch them and they worked.
For this the LHS helped, a bit, even tho' he only sold me the RX.
Another oddity is that the spst switch from the ESC needs to be set to RED to work.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I've learned a lot.
Peter
Sounds like the previous owner might have the "old" Airtronics equipment. I used Airtronics for years and would sometimes use other brands of servos and that would require switching the positive and negative wires in the servo connectors. Glad you got it figured out
Sep 13, 2019, 10:12 PM
Thread OP
I have an AIRTRONICS 4G4R VANGUARD I probably could have used with this plane!

Part of the problem was that I thought there was a problem the Airtronix RX and my LiPo, but even if true I could still change batteries.
Sep 15, 2019, 12:39 AM
The Other Side of Your Screen
Wow .... I only ever wanted an Airtronics back in the early 90s, never had, and now glad. I can't believe they would not put the + in the center, that is askin for trouble if plugged in wrong. At least the photos of those without center pin positive were keyed to keep from being plugged in to blow out your RX.
Sep 15, 2019, 06:45 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Airtronics was great. Very good radios. The servo and receiver wiring was not a big deal. You could not plug an Airtronics servo into an Airtronics receiver the wrong way, and it was easy-peasy to use other servo brands as noted by just switching wires at the servo connector. You could fry another brand's servo if you plugged it into an Airtronics receiver without reversing the + and - servo leads. They eventually came out with the "Z" connector which put the positive wire in the center. I switched to a Multiplex Royal EVO 12 while still on 72mHz because of the increased model memories. I was able to use my positive shift Airtronic receivers with the Multiplex transmitter. When 2.4 came along I bought the DSM2 protocol DX6 (had some problems) and later hacked the Multiplex to DSM2 protocol. When Airtronics finally came out with the SD10G I went back to Airtronics, Excellent radio, but not ergonomically friendly to my small hands. I actually got nerve damage in my left hand from a one hand grip used while launching DLGs. Had a short fling with Tactic (for better ergonomics), again a very good radio, but they never brought out a transmitter with flight modes (conditions) . So finally back to Spektrum DSMX DX8 G2, love the bind and fly planes, ergonomics of the transmitter, easy programming, and the availability of secondary market receivers. The DX8 has been bullet proof with a solid radio link.
Sep 15, 2019, 11:31 PM
Thread OP
Some interesting news: they are HItec knock-offs/clones calling themselves "hirec".

Quick Reply