Sep 10, 2019, 05:17 PM
1985 XL600R RFVC
Thread OP
Discussion

UMX parkflyer wing plans

I just drew these up from an old set I had with un-tested modifications. I'll build one tonight and let you all know how it goes and if it flies. these are free to everyone so feel free to make one and if you have design input I'm open to it.

Its all DTFB construction, made for a 4 channel spektrum umx brick with brushed motor, but it would be cool to see one with a brushless setup.
Last edited by smallengines1284; Sep 10, 2019 at 09:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2019, 06:25 PM

I am in

What is the wingspan you are going for? I am going to try 14.

I am assuming it is taileron and rudder controlls but I am wondering if the wingtips are supposed to have polyhedral.

I will plan on cutting it right now and seeing if I can get it flying before tomorrow.

Fritz
Sep 10, 2019, 07:24 PM
1985 XL600R RFVC
Thread OP
the tip line is a control surface, I should have made build notes for this before making it public sorry. the rudder is optional. I'll build an airframe to show what its supposed to look like. its aileron/elevator/throttle with the option to have a 1 stabilizer version and a dual vertical stabilizer version, also with or without rudder control but ive found mine was hard to fly without rudder. It's designed to be printed on a normal 8.5x11 letter paper. wingspan should be right around 14 I'm guessing. I haven't tried scaling it up or down but ill do some testing on the airframe soon.

CORRECTION!!! ---- THE CENTER OF GRAVITY IS AT THE FRONT EDGE OF THE RECEIVER BRICK!
Last edited by smallengines1284; Sep 10, 2019 at 07:29 PM.
Sep 10, 2019, 07:51 PM
I am going to forgo the rudder for simplicity sake. It does look funky. I am stalled for now, i should be able to get it in the air within a couple days.

1104 4500kv motor, 16.5 g so far.
Sep 10, 2019, 08:13 PM
1985 XL600R RFVC
Thread OP
I'm having problems with my printer but I'll get a frame made as soon as possible for a reference. I see you went for elevons, if that setup works well let me know as i have no way to test elevons on my current airframe.
Sep 11, 2019, 10:27 AM
1985 XL600R RFVC
Thread OP

Mine is ready

Here's what I got, I need to find a way to disable the rudder gyro though as ive installed the rx in a way where elevator and aileron gyros work correctly. however my rudder gyro is reversed so it tries to correct left yaw with more left yaw.
Sep 11, 2019, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallengines1284
Here's what I got, I need to find a way to disable the rudder gyro though as ive installed the rx in a way where elevator and aileron gyros work correctly. however my rudder gyro is reversed so it tries to correct left yaw with more left yaw.
If you get the spektrum umx as3x programmer you can set the rudder gyro to 0 so it has no effect. You can also set the gyro to a switch to turn it off completely and set the board orientation to whatever you need it to be. Also I'm not sure how you have the gyro working now but, if the elevator servo is hooked to the elevator output and the ailerons are on both the aileron outputs with the board set to two aileron servo's the rudder gyro shouldn't be doing anything. Judging by the sideways board though I'm going to guess you've got elevator servo on rudder output and one aileron on elevator and the other aileron on aileron.

Edit: Never mind I forgot there was a rudder on the other side of that plane in the picture haha. I would say your best bet is to get the programmer and then you can reverse anything you need and fix any problems that come up on any future as3x builds plus being able to turn off the gyro is nice for the calm days and to get a bit more life out of the linear servo's. Of course you could also just route the pushrod to the other side of the rudder.
Sep 12, 2019, 08:18 PM
1985 XL600R RFVC
Thread OP
yeah I found out the only way to fix the gyro issue is flip the rx board over or get the programming cable. I dont want to do either but I did mess up my airframe by peeling just the bottom paper so now the whole thing has a significant warp basically it flies great inverted but it doesnt have enough up elevator to keep the nose up when its upright. Im gonna build another airframe for it, and then maybe another while im at it for my umx whipit rx board (3ch), maybe a micro F-22. I got a micro f22 cut out but i think i need to scale it up about 40% - 50% to be big enough for radio control even with the super light 3 channel brick. Ill keep you guys updated, fmhans did you get yours to fly at all? looks like you did a lot better job at building yours so im interested how the more powerful motor worked out.
Sep 13, 2019, 02:48 AM
1985 XL600R RFVC
Thread OP

New micro wing design

I had an old f22 paper model design laying around on my computer so I chopped the elevators off and made the back of the wing extend rearwards a little more. I snuck my dad's old spektrum dx4e out and it has an elevon mixing switch so I went with elevons no rudder and a little tiny coreless motor and direct drive prop. If it flies it should be kinda quick. I'll let you guys know tomorrow how it goes.

-Mitch
Sep 13, 2019, 05:03 AM
The chopped version looks fun, waiting to hear how it'll fly.

Has anyone tried UMX guts on a AD/HD ? Similar yet even simpler design which flies well. I've done one under 12" span with a brick combo.
Last edited by Keppis; Sep 13, 2019 at 07:03 AM.
Sep 13, 2019, 10:31 AM
1985 XL600R RFVC
Thread OP
the f22 thing kinda flies but its super unstable and the cg needs some correction. I need my dxe working with elevon mixing cause the DX4E just doesnt have the control throw that the DXE has, leaving me with maybe 20 degrees total control surface deflection. i decided to scrap the plane i started this thread for I think it was just a bad design to begin with. back to the f22 thing its fast for sure but it doesnt like wind at all and its too fast for my yard for sure I need to go to the baseball field with this one. I think it would fly much better with a brushless setup and some more control surface throw. I dont know of anyone trying an AD/HD with a umx brick yet though.
Sep 13, 2019, 11:02 AM
1985 XL600R RFVC
Thread OP
Heres the tail-less f22 template. Plans are full scale for a4 printer paper. (edit: In this set I have enlarged the control surfaces. I'll try it out and let you guys know how it flies.)
Sep 16, 2019, 10:03 AM
1985 XL600R RFVC
Thread OP
I got the f22 to a baseball field and figured out its pretty fun it just doesnt have a good climb rate. it probably gets up to 25mph but it looks way faster cause its so small. My new project is a prop n' slot wing but with 4 motors, little quadcopter coreless motors still using the umx whipit RX.
Sep 16, 2019, 08:59 PM
1985 XL600R RFVC
Thread OP
Hi again, here is the latest build. Again its to be printed on A4 printer paper and built from DTFB. I'm using 2 mini quadcopter motors and props in a pusher/prop N' slot configuration. 4 motors was to much for the whipit ESC to handle, it would just brown-out whenever I gave it throttle.

Videos coming soon.
Last edited by smallengines1284; Sep 16, 2019 at 09:05 PM.
Sep 16, 2019, 10:26 PM
1985 XL600R RFVC
Thread OP
UMW3 Finch (2 min 25 sec)

Quick Reply