Thread Tools
Sep 13, 2019, 11:58 AM
Registered User
Hello
How much is the kit?

Is it still available?

Warroo
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2019, 12:20 PM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Thread OP
If you mean the short kit, try a PM to the forum member that cut it : vicsrc. Hurry up; he's on line right now..!
Sep 13, 2019, 12:20 PM
Registered User
jpurcha's Avatar
If you have built from plans featured in the magazines. Some instructions are pretty vague. I've only seen Joe Bridi's magazine instructions were outlined step by step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC YEAGER
Doesn't everyone read Japanese?
Latest blog entry: MAAC Wings
Sep 13, 2019, 12:23 PM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpurcha
... Joe Bridi's magazine instructions...
Any chance of a fuller reference..? I'd very much like to read through such an article...
Sep 13, 2019, 12:36 PM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353
Any chance of a fuller reference..? I'd very much like to read through such an article...
Search for Bridi on OZ. The Supplements are what you want. A few to get started...

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10468
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4915
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5718
Sep 13, 2019, 01:19 PM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Thread OP


Thanks, Andy. I'll read through all of that while waiting for my parts..!
Sep 13, 2019, 03:50 PM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Thread OP
The Curare 20 tailplane is built flat, unlike the original 60, which had aerofoil ribs. Easy enough, then, to build over the plan, using stock 3x5 for the inner strutting ...



These are not 'handed', so I can build a second one over the first, with a sheet of film between the two...



This should ensure that they're pretty well identical, unless I mess up the profile sanding, of course..!
Sep 13, 2019, 07:17 PM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Thread OP
The tailplane is lifted from the board; time to have a look at the tailfin situation. Hmm... An odd contruction that I've never seen before; s'gonna be fun doing this (I hope..!). Here's a photo; I'll try to explain (I've added an attachment photo that some find easier to 'zoom'...) ...



To the left are the two tailplane halves; no problem there. In the foreground of those are four tailfin leading edges, to be laminated together, then carved to the appropriate aerofoil section. The 'kit' version supplied this as a one-piece block (V1...), it seems.
It gets stranger still, though. To the right can be seen the first stage in the assembly of a platform, with, for the moment, one 'stretcher' (TB1...) being glued to the 'table' (V2...). Inverted for this operation, the other side will follow, making a sort of half-box, which should fit from the end of the turtledeck to the rear point of the fuselage (see extract from plan ...)...



It's onto this platform that the laminated fin LE will rear up, to meet the hinge post. This latter has been pinned up, with the future rudder, visible (just..!) at the exteme right of the photo. The space between the rising fin LE and the platform will be strutted (V4...), in similar pattern as the tailplane. Presumably, the Japanese text explains that the 'V4' struts are to be cut from one piece (just guessing...).
No, the Lego is not part of the 'plane..! It's serving as a square and guide, helping the clamps to hold the 'strecher' in place, with a lump hammer to ensure a tight Titebond bond.
Sep 13, 2019, 08:10 PM
Registered User
jpurcha's Avatar
As I recall, balsaworkbench has a short kit of the Curare 20. I have a German short purchased thru David Oxillia , frequents these pages.

http://www.balsaworkbench.com/?page_id=2604
Last edited by jpurcha; Sep 13, 2019 at 09:50 PM.
Sep 13, 2019, 08:15 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353
The Curare 20 tailplane is built flat, unlike the original 60, which had aerofoil ribs. Easy enough, then, to build over the plan, using stock 3x5 for the inner strutting ...



These are not 'handed', so I can build a second one over the first, with a sheet of film between the two...



This should ensure that they're pretty well identical, unless I mess up the profile sanding, of course..!
Great build. Having built/flown quite a few of these MK xxx20 in the past beware that a high powered version can add too much stress to the light tail structure and inflight failures are not unknown. Past fixes include thin sheeting one or both of the surfaces, or two lavers of film covering, and strengthening the anhedral joint.
Sep 13, 2019, 08:54 PM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Thread OP
Useful comments ^^, duly noted; thanks. We're not going overboard with the power (E-Calc gives a weight/thrust ratio of 0.99...), and Our Eldest, who's destined to pilot this, isn't, yet, going for championship level. We'll bear in mind all info received, though.
The second 'stretcher' is now glued up, and the four fin LE pieces are now 'laminated' into a solid block ...



Discussing the Build with Our Eldest, he seemed less surprised than I at this method of construction, and recommended assembly of the next steps, with the rudder hinge post, 'vertical', with suitable propping and jigging. It'll be fragile during this phase, but will be a strong enough structure once completed. Maybe tomorrow, although I may be able to spend some time at the flying field, instead. We'll see...
Sep 13, 2019, 09:52 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353
Useful comments ^^, duly noted; thanks. We're not going overboard with the power (E-Calc gives a weight/thrust ratio of 0.99...), and Our Eldest, who's destined to pilot this, isn't, yet, going for championship level. We'll bear in mind all info received, though.
The second 'stretcher' is now glued up, and the four fin LE pieces are now 'laminated' into a solid block ...



Discussing the Build with Our Eldest, he seemed less surprised than I at this method of construction, and recommended assembly of the next steps, with the rudder hinge post, 'vertical', with suitable propping and jigging. It'll be fragile during this phase, but will be a strong enough structure once completed. Maybe tomorrow, although I may be able to spend some time at the flying field, instead. We'll see...
Sharing a current build, scratched built from plans....
Sep 14, 2019, 07:55 PM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Thread OP
Still waiting for the wood we need, but we've sorted out how to do the empennage, we think. We were out this afternoon, flying, but I managed to shape up a 'heel' and fix it beneath the 'plane. It'll protect the rudder (hopefully...)...



Out again tomorrow, Sunday (it's our Club 'Interclub' meeting; I'll be taking along my Cub and Aeromaster...). Monday is band rehearsal, so probably Tuesday, next installment. Maybe the postman will have come by then ...
Sep 15, 2019, 07:19 AM
Registered User
Looking good Douglas
Sep 16, 2019, 12:27 PM
DavidsPlanes
doxilia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353
... and, in answer to the request for shots of the whole short kit, here it is ...



Does it respect the original design..? I'm not the best judge of that, so I'll leave that to others.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. By "respect" I was just curious as to whether the CAD was done per plans or whether some liberties were taken to make the model more suitable for electric power. It looks like Vic (cutter) stuck to the original design within the limitations of laser cutting.

Quote:
I doubt that the MK kit was laser-cut, though, so there'd be some differences...
That's correct, laser cutters didn't exist when MK was in full production with these kits. They used routers and sanders and produced beautiful kits with parts that were not found in any other kit not manufactured by MK (they manufactured kits for other brands as well).

Quote:
...such as the tabs for the formers (but I've no idea how the original kit was, so...).
This is where the laser has an advantage in that one can design and produce interlocking parts and consruction. All this of course because of the abundant existence of CAD which also didn't quite exist (nor did CAD capable computers in fact) at the time MK was producing kits.

Quote:
In any case, it's fit for purpose as far as I'm concerned.
It most certainly is! Looking good!

David


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Curare build - Carolina Custom Kits jzanutto Classic Pattern Flying 682 Oct 30, 2017 07:25 PM