FreeFly Systems Alta X Drone

Freefly Systems is the premiere drone company for the high end market with the Alta 6, 8 and Pro. Now they have just announced a new Drone called the Alta X.

Splash

A New Alta is Born

Freefly Systems is the premiere drone company for the high end market with the Alta 6, 8 and Pro. Now they have just announced a new Drone called the Alta X. The Alta X is a quadcopter design that utilizes larger diameter props to achieve longer flight times. Where the Alta 6 or 8 would fly for 5-8 minutes, the X can carry 20lbs for over 20 minutes. That alone is going to change the game and allow more freedom and flexibility with shots on set. The only worry here is with only 4 motors and props, if anything fails mechanically or electronically with any of the power units, the drone will come crashing down.

The Alta X folds up like other Alta drones which makes it easier to transport. There's also some great innovations in the X like the ActiveBlade system which pivots and helps reduce vibration while maximizing the thrust direction when in forward flight. It can carry a range of payload systems too. There's a lot to like here, but it's going to come at a high cost. The starting price is just south of $16K, but you can order it right now and expect delivery in 3-4 weeks.

Check out the FreeFly Systems Alta X Here

Sep 10, 2019, 09:25 AM
Freelance Cinematographer
Seems really odd to go with a no-redundancy design for Alta. The pivoting props seem like another point of failure as well. But, I'll be interested to see it for sure.
Sep 10, 2019, 10:27 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
I agree, but I can’t remember the last time a motor, ESC or prop failed on its own. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen though, The extra flight time will sure be appreciated.
Sep 10, 2019, 10:38 AM
Nice but:
12s system need tons of batteries , 8kg batteries alone! ( but efficiency is nice )
500$ for single propeller with hub, better don't get any prop strikes with it!
1000$ for battery pack set ( probably you need 4-5 for a job )

still, great engineering from freefly, can't wait to see it flying
Sep 10, 2019, 10:47 AM
Anyone know what "ActiveBlade" actually is? How does it work?

Thanks...
Sep 10, 2019, 11:24 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsalopek

Thanks...
Haven't seen it in person, but it looks like it can pivot slightly to try and keep the blades parallel to the ground as the drone tilts.
Sep 10, 2019, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Haven't seen it in person, but it looks like it can pivot slightly to try and keep the blades parallel to the ground as the drone tilts.
Will be nice to test it. Wondering if only reduces vibrations or also increasing efficiency ?

it increasing slightly rotating mass. Also wondering while it's reducing vibrations while you have perfectly balanced propellers how it's behave when one of this folding propellers is out of ballance? is it increasing chance of catastrophic failure ? How it's behave during active breaking ?

interesting innovation.
Sep 10, 2019, 12:51 PM
What goes around comes around.
No redundancy is worrying.. anyone know the motor spec & what voltage batteries?
Sep 10, 2019, 02:04 PM
I think it's Dji E7000 power train , 12S. Looks like they used Li ion batteries.
Sep 10, 2019, 05:48 PM
As the aircraft is moving forward through the air, it lowers the angle of attack of the up-wind blade and increases the angle of attack of the down-wind blade. Thus balancing out the lifting force of the propeller. Full scale helicopters do this too

Quote:

Thanks...
Sep 10, 2019, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rctestflight
As the aircraft is moving forward through the air, it lowers the angle of attack of the up-wind blade and increases the angle of attack of the down-wind blade. Thus balancing out the lifting force of the propeller. Full scale helicopters do this too
Do you know the mechanics of how DJI makes that work? I understand the mechanics of a real helicopter more-or-less, but how does DJI replicate/approximate that movement?

Thanks...
Sep 10, 2019, 06:06 PM
The Active Blade is a Freefly thing, not DJI. The blade is able to pivot but the pivot angle is offset so it also changes the angle of attack

Quote:
Do you know the mechanics of how DJI makes that work? I understand the mechanics of a real helicopter more-or-less, but how does DJI replicate/approximate that movement?

Thanks...
Sep 12, 2019, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigg
No redundancy is worrying.. anyone know the motor spec & what voltage batteries?

The lack of motor redundancy does not seem to have hampered DJI users in any way based on the number of Mavics, Phantoms, and Inspires out there.

OTOH, when we start hanging $4,000.00+ payloads under the aircraft having 6 or more motors is a much more intelligent choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sep 12, 2019, 02:07 PM
An octocopter is twice as likely to have a motor failure than a quadcopter because it has 2X as many motors
For those concerned with reliability, keep in mind these are industrial grade motors, not hobby grade. They have been tested at system level for thousands of hours and a motor failure out of the blue would be extremely unlikely

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR
The lack of motor redundancy does not seem to have hampered DJI users in any way based on the number of Mavics, Phantoms, and Inspires out there.

OTOH, when we start hanging $4,000.00+ payloads under the aircraft having 6 or more motors is a much more intelligent choice.
Sep 12, 2019, 02:53 PM
Freelance Cinematographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR

For me it's not so much the value under the bird, it's the weight. A Mavic 2 is 2lbs AUW. Even an Inspire 2 with X7 is only around 8-9 pounds total. If you drop out of the sky you'll do damage, sure. But if you drop out of the sky with a 50lb bird, that is a massively different thing. You're gonna absolutely DESTROY whatever is underneath you. I think it makes more sense to have redundancy when you're talking about heavy lifters that weigh over 20+ lbs. The liability of destroying/killing whatever you might hit in case of failure is massively higher. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply