Sep 09, 2019, 06:03 PM
Bus Driver
Thread OP
Discussion

Western NC DLG

Hi all,

Anyone flying DLGs in the western N.C. , Asheville area? Thanks!

Thomas
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2019, 09:08 PM
Jeff Carr
Ian Bailey is who you want to hook up with

Great guy and good family
Sep 10, 2019, 08:11 AM
Team Falcon
There's a pretty good contingent in NC, but most activity is around Winston-Salem area and Raleigh area. I'm in Southern Pines, (central NC). If you're up for a drive to Statesville, we sometimes practice at a private airfield up there.

Otherwise, Ian Bailey, as Jeff mentioned, is a good person to connect with.

Jason
Sep 10, 2019, 11:40 AM
More correctly spelled Ian Baillie. He lives north of Ashville.

Dick
Sep 10, 2019, 02:29 PM
I don't fly DLG's but do fly high-start and electric launch down in Hendersonville. Glider pilots of all flavors are apparently scarce around here. Lol Wish I knew of a group nearby or even a couple hours drive for the occasional meet up.
Sep 10, 2019, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinav8n
Ian Bailey is who you want to hook up with

Great guy and good family
Not to high jack this thread but Jeff, do you guys ever have club comps down in Ft. Mill or otherwise.
Sep 15, 2019, 10:54 PM
Bus Driver
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbound
I don't fly DLG's but do fly high-start and electric launch down in Hendersonville. Glider pilots of all flavors are apparently scarce around here. Lol Wish I knew of a group nearby or even a couple hours drive for the occasional meet up.
Where do you fly in Hendersonville? Im up at ABA but seems like im the only one who flies gliders.
Sep 15, 2019, 10:56 PM
Bus Driver
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DProseus
More correctly spelled Ian Baillie. He lives north of Ashville.

Dick
Thanks! Ill try to get in touch with him. I bought an Akcent 2 several years back from someone in asheville and it may have been from him.

Thanks
Thomas
Sep 16, 2019, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmab11
Where do you fly in Hendersonville? Im up at ABA but seems like im the only one who flies gliders.
One place is a private 14 acre hay field where the owner keeps a 300í strip mowed for RC flying. Itís smaller than I like for larger 3m stuff but fine for 2m and would be great for DLGís. I use a short high start there or electric launch. Sometimes tricky wind pattern there but usually some good thermal activity.
There is a rather loosely organized club I joined, the Henderson County Flyers that has three sod fields we fly, nice huge spaces. One here in Híville, couple others over in Transylvania Co. Only like $50 for yearly dues(AMA req) I rarely see anyone at these fields. Shoot me a PM if you want to go to the hay field sometime, the owner is an older gent who just loves for anyone to fly. Iím sure heíll say ďsureĒ for another flyer. Itís just a few miles off I-26.
Sep 16, 2019, 10:28 AM
Bus Driver
Thread OP
Quote:
One place is a private 14 acre hay field where the owner keeps a 300í strip mowed for RC flying. Itís smaller than I like for larger 3m stuff but fine for 2m and would be great for DLGís. I use a short high start there or electric launch. Sometimes tricky wind pattern there but usually some good thermal activity.
There is a rather loosely organized club I joined, the Henderson County Flyers that has three sod fields we fly, nice huge spaces. One here in Híville, couple others over in Transylvania Co. Only like $50 for yearly dues(AMA req) I rarely see anyone at these fields. Shoot me a PM if you want to go to the hay field sometime, the owner is an older gent who just loves for anyone to fly. Iím sure heíll say ďsureĒ for another flyer. Itís just a few miles off I-26.
PM sent
Sep 16, 2019, 03:15 PM
Jeff Carr
Crashbound

I used to run a DLG contest at York but when the last 2 day contest got 10 people I stopped having them. I now run the MidSouth Soaring Championships at Triple Tree.
Sep 16, 2019, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinav8n
Crashbound

I used to run a DLG contest at York but when the last 2 day contest got 10 people I stopped having them. I now run the MidSouth Soaring Championships at Triple Tree.
Yes I knew about that. I came this year and looking forward to next Spring. I don't fly a DLG but just interested in either some ALES or F5J club level stuff around. Closest thing I see is down near Greenville NC. Didn't know if there was anything down your way, near Charlotte or even up near Winston Salem or Greensboro.
As the OP noted, apparently glider flyers are scarce in WNC.
Sep 19, 2019, 08:45 AM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Quote:
apparently glider flyers are scarce in WNC.
Now that you have two more will start to appear with time. Sometimes when folks see people having fun with something they become interested in trying it too.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons

Quick Reply