Sep 17, 2019, 07:34 PM
LOL I just step out my backdoor to fly my smallest to my 48inchers. I have way more flights on most of my planes that you do.Most people do not really care how many flights i have flown and i don't either....HA...
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 07:49 PM
I've got quite a few flights (<50) on my S.Cub. Indoors and outside, in all kinds of weather. After mastering loops, rolls and inverted flight - only on a very healthy battery and a lot of touch-and-goes,, I can't imagine being motivated to fly it anymore. It is boring!

There is so much more to enjoying my flight time with more interesting and capable aircraft. I'm impressed with the claim of 1,000 flights. But you should really move on.
Sep 17, 2019, 09:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
LOL I just step out my backdoor to fly my smallest to my 48inchers. I have way more flights on most of my planes that you do.Most people do not really care how many flights i have flown and i don't either....HA...
Not a competition, more of a chance to mark milestones. Im am a bit envious you can fly so easily What is your most flown model? If you had to ball park it how many flight or how much air time has it racked up?
Sep 17, 2019, 09:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplashCrash
I've got quite a few flights (<50) on my S.Cub. Indoors and outside, in all kinds of weather. After mastering loops, rolls and inverted flight - only on a very healthy battery and a lot of touch-and-goes,, I can't imagine being motivated to fly it anymore. It is boring!

There is so much more to enjoying my flight time with more interesting and capable aircraft. I'm impressed with the claim of 1,000 flights. But you should really move on.
Oh, I have moved on, as said, it only gets a flight or two per session now. Though I still love to fly it.

Have you tried tossing out the throws on the controls? Makes a world of difference in the performance of the plane when fully tossed. Rudder will throw all the way till a hair off contact with the edges of the elevator. Ailerons will throw over twice original.

Opens up lower speed control and mild 3d. Harrier's with some wind to fly into, Hammer heads, Out side loop pushovers from inverted.

Makes the plane a ton more fun. Still weak on roll though.

You are right though, that by comparison to things like Timbers or other brushless its a bit slow and pokey. But I find a nice slow flight is a good thing between the fast paced flights.

EDIT: I am pretty interested to know how you liked flying it indoors? All of my airtime has been outside, I have only thought of going inside. How well did it do? Was it too fast? How big a space did you need?
Sep 17, 2019, 09:58 PM
Almost lost mine once in too much wind. I got too high and far away ...and then hit LVC ! Only a series of power off dives and stalls got it back to my area , then just enough motor left to land! I keep a flight journal of all my flights on all my planes. It comes in handy when you get to the point where you don't remember everything anymore!....Iike how many minutes of flight time you can expect on a certain plane running a certain battery. That and any anomalies and how they were corrected!
Last edited by OhBee; Sep 17, 2019 at 10:05 PM.
Sep 17, 2019, 10:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
Almost lost mine once in too much wind. I got too high and far away ...and then hit LVC ! Only a series of power off dives and stalls got it back to my area , then just enough motor left to land! I keep a flight journal of all my flights on all my planes. It comes in handy when you get to the point where you don't remember everything anymore!....Iike how many minutes of flight time you can expect on a certain plane running a certain battery. That and any anomalies and how they were corrected!
Nice to hear someone else takes logs

And good job on the recovery! A buddy of mine lost his at the club a couple weeks ago to wind, but he is new and was maidening it as his first solo flight without any help before I arrived to help him. Thought he would do some touch and goes while waiting and the wind told him nope! :/
Sep 17, 2019, 10:32 PM
Last edited by dalecheek1; Sep 18, 2019 at 09:40 PM.
Sep 18, 2019, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSOSxHawkens
EDIT: I am pretty interested to know how you liked flying it indoors? All of my airtime has been outside, I have only thought of going inside. How well did it do? Was it too fast? How big a space did you need?
My impression is that the S Cub S was made for indoor flight. In a two tennis court size "gym" it is great. I wouldn't try loops or rolls with the low ceilings. But figure 8s and touch-and-goes are lots of fun. A beginner with some airtime would thrive.
Sep 18, 2019, 01:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplashCrash
My impression is that the S Cub S was made for indoor flight. In a two tennis court size "gym" it is great. I wouldn't try loops or rolls with the low ceilings. But figure 8s and touch-and-goes are lots of fun. A beginner with some airtime would thrive.
Outside I have gotten OK with a baseball diamond, but I feel like I would feel too tight in an indoor basketball court, which is about as big as I can get around here inside.

Have you done BB Courts?
Sep 18, 2019, 01:44 PM
Yes, it's OK. But you have to be on your toes. It's not like you can stray over the foul line. Walls are not as forgiving. If the bleachers are pushed back, it's a little better.
Sep 18, 2019, 03:12 PM
WJH
WJH
B747-400 First Officer
For my backyard flying, I take out the Hexacopter with Go Pro and film video of the swamps behind the house. I haven't programmed a flight path over the neighborhood, probably never will. If something was to happen, I'd might actually have to say Hi to one of my neighbors.

Quick Reply