Sep 09, 2019, 02:03 PM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
Thread OP
Discussion

Supercub S erratic flight in Beginner Safe Mode

I’ve never experienced this problem with other SAFE planes. I put floats on my grandson’s Supercub S. It was quite windy, so I decided to fly it first. It was fine in expert mode.

In beginner mode, it was difficult to control. The wings rocked up and down, as if testing the SAFE limits. Imagine hitting full left and then full right rudder over and over again. This rocking was constant and rapid.

I checked if I had Safe set up correctly. The control surfaces (rudder/elevator) seem to be moving in the correct direction. The Super Cub doesn’t have ailerons. None of the surfaces seemed loose.

Again, first flight on floats and 10 - 15 mph gusty winds.

My grandson said the plane had a little oscillation when he last flew it several months ago in calmer conditions. Maybe the problem existed but was exasperated by the gusty wind and floats. These were the eflite floats.

Any ideas for the erratic behavior?
Last edited by mybad; Sep 09, 2019 at 04:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2019, 09:19 PM
THE Gusty Strong Winds.......duh....
Sep 09, 2019, 10:27 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Sorry, I don't fly Spectrum products. However, from what you describe, it sounds like your experiencing oscillation from the gains being set too high. I'm not sure if that can be set on a Spectrum system but others will probably chime in here.
Sep 10, 2019, 02:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
THE Gusty Strong Winds.......duh....
Yeah, but the problem only appears in SAFE beginner mode. It flew fine in expert mode.
Sep 10, 2019, 07:27 AM
One thing that happened on one of mine with a "SAFE" rx was that it had become just slightly loose.
In anything but full advanced mode the slight movement caused the gyro in the RX to go nuts trying to keep the plane level and controlled because it's sensing the position of the RX.
Sep 11, 2019, 09:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM
One thing that happened on one of mine with a "SAFE" rx was that it had become just slightly loose.
In anything but full advanced mode the slight movement caused the gyro in the RX to go nuts trying to keep the plane level and controlled because it's sensing the position of the RX.
I flew it today in calm winds. Same thing.

Flying normal in intermediate and in expert mode but rolling all over like a faster pendulum in beginner mode. I put it in expert mode and pressed the panic button; same wobble.

I checked if anything was loose including the receiver. It is rock solid.
Sep 11, 2019, 09:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM
I just had a thought.

The receiver is mounted to the other side of the battery compartment. That compartment is notorious for coming loose. This has been my experience with several previous Super Cubs. The front float mount inserts into the end of that box. I just checked and there is a little play in the box especially with the floats dangling there. Itís not much but maybe itís enough. Iím going to try to tighten it up.
Sep 11, 2019, 01:28 PM
The AS3X seems to overcompensate on mine. It always gets a tail wag in turns if it's a bit breezy. I only fly in EXP mode.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:39 PM
Thread OP
Well, I glued the battery box in better. After unscrewing it, I saw that all the original adhesive had let go.

Unfortunately, the problem persists.

I wonder if the rocking is due to the weight of the floats? I might reattach the wheels and try it that way.

Is anyone flying theirs in Safe beginner mode on floats?
Sep 19, 2019, 01:52 PM
Floats ARE like adding extra airfoils! Any misalignment could definitly cause that problem in the air.
Sep 21, 2019, 06:51 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
Floats ARE like adding extra airfoils! Any misalignment could definitly cause that problem in the air.
Yeah. These are brand new floats and seem secure, but maybe?

Iíve tried another radio with the same results.

I think I need to remove the floats and try it with the wheels again.

It might be time to call HH.
Sep 21, 2019, 08:47 AM
Thread OP
Flew it without floats.

THAT caused the problem!

With wheels, there was a very minor temporary rock when you engaged beginner mode, just a second or two.

Now Iíll have to look at the floats.
Sep 26, 2019, 10:52 AM
Thread OP

HH To The Rescue

Well, I finally contacted Horizon Hobby.

Their response was that they couldn’t come up with a reason for the erratic wing rocking!

So ...

They are shipping me a replacement receiver at no cost!!!

Horizon Hobby has always been more than fair and even generous whenever I’ve had to ask them for help. I guess that’s why I own a lot of Horizon Hobby products.

Quick Reply