Oct 17, 2019, 11:48 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjacobsen
But is the motor can/housing strong enough not to break when the shaft bends? I'm just picturing it breaking off where the shaft connects to the motor housing. I guess with this being so new, we won't know until a bunch of folks have had some substantial crashes.
There are two bearings on the shaft between the motor and the head. If the shaft is bent in a crash it would always bend above the top bearing, so no effect on the motor at all.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2019, 07:40 PM
F-35 Lightning 2
I got mine today. Does anyone know how to bind this thing to my DX9?
Nov 11, 2019, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunr
Is there a U.S. distributer?
Just verified Buddyrc.com just got them in. Waiting on them to place in stock.

https://www.buddyrc.com/omphobby-m2-...ng-yellow.html
Nov 11, 2019, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae5tr0
I got mine today. Does anyone know how to bind this thing to my DX9?
What receiver did you use? I would assume that you would need to plug in a DSMX sat. Most of those come today with Autobind. I am ordering mine today so I will let you know as soon as I receive it.
Nov 11, 2019, 11:04 AM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Mae5tr0,

There is a thread under "Micro Heli's" that gives the settings for Spektrum.

I think they said that you need to bind a Spektrum satellite using a Spektrum receiver, then connect the satellite to the ESC/FBL unit on the M2..
Nov 11, 2019, 08:53 PM
I have the same setup with FPV. Check out my channel. It is all direct drive. Diving oriented.

Cloud Surfing - 250 Gram Single Rotor Helicopter FPV (1 min 23 sec)
Nov 17, 2019, 03:56 PM
so many threads to follow for these...
Nov 18, 2019, 12:42 PM
There is not really a motor housing. Motor has 2 parts, the stater and the magnet rotor. The stater is fastened by a screw. If you bust the screw or strip the scew's thread, simply use a zip tie in place of the screw. The magnet rotor takes place of heli main gear and weighs 12 grams, about the same as the large plastic gear. But it can not have gear strip and is practically indestructible. See attached picture. The beauty of this thing is that the fastener is not even needed because the collar retaining screws fixes the vertical axis of the shaft. Any anti-rotation thing does the job of the "housing screw" just as well.

I make adrenaline diving videos, and I crash this setup at terminal speeds countless times. And the motor-trans is basically immortal. See my crash videos,
Full pitch-throttle dive pull-up stall (1 min 39 sec)

The ugliest part of this setup is that the craft weighs 11 grams heavier overall over conventional gearing. The 11 grams of lithium fuel usually gives extra 15% flight time for crafts of 250 grams. For ultra-endurance businesses, this is 4-5 minutes difference for half hour missions.

If you want to do away with any shaft bending at all, use a carbon fiber shaft as attached pictures, and use retaining screws on the hub, instead of a thru screw. Carbon fiber can only be scratched, or it explodes, but it can not bend. Upon a crash and retainers grooving the shaft, you need to resurface the shaft for the retainer so that they don't slip into the grooves during flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjacobsen
But is the motor can/housing strong enough not to break when the shaft bends? I'm just picturing it breaking off where the shaft connects to the motor housing. I guess with this being so new, we won't know until a bunch of folks have had some substantial crashes.
Last edited by jcg1541; Nov 19, 2019 at 01:19 PM.
Nov 18, 2019, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg1541
There is not really a motor housing. Motor has 2 parts, the stater and the magnet rotor. The stater is fastened by a screw. If you bust the screw or strip the scew's thread, simply use a zip tie in place of the screw. The magnet rotor takes place of heli main gear and weighs 12 grams, about the same as the large plastic gear. But it can not have gear strip and is practically indestructible. See attached picture. The beauty of this thing is that the fastener is not even needed because the collar retaining screws fixes the vertical axis of the shaft. Any anti-rotation thing does the job of the "housing screw" just as well.

I make adrenaline diving videos, and I crash this setup at terminal speeds countless times. And the motor-trans is basically immortal. See my crash videos,
https://youtu.be/AP6Rui1JB-k

The ugliest part of this setup is that the craft weighs 11 grams heavier overall over conventional gearing. The 11 grams of lithium fuel usually gives extra 15% flight time for crafts of 250 grams. For ultra-endurance businesses, this is 4-5 minutes difference for half hour missions.

If you want to do away with any shaft bending at all, use a carbon fiber shaft as attached pictures, and use retaining screws on the hub, instead of a thru screw. Carbon fiber can only be scratched, or it explodes, but it can not bend. Upon a crash and wearing/erosion, you need to resurface the shaft for the retainer.
Looks like a T-Motor MN4004. I am also using this motor for the tails of my variable pitch quadcopter. Do you use the 300KV or 400KV variant?
Nov 18, 2019, 05:06 PM
You have the best setup of both worlds, quad with variable pitch. I use both the 300kv and the 400kv. On 3S batteries, I use 400kv; on 4S, I use 300kv. I rewind the stater for different KV's. https://nocomputerbutphone.blogspot....otor-4004.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woga65
Looks like a T-Motor MN4004. I am also using this motor for the tails of my variable pitch quadcopter. Do you use the 300KV or 400KV variant?
Nov 18, 2019, 07:07 PM
Quote:
You have the best setup of both worlds, quad with variable pitch. I use both the 300kv and the 400kv. On 3S batteries, I use 400kv; on 4S, I use 300kv. I rewind the stater for different KV's. https://nocomputerbutphone.blogspot....otor-4004.html
Interesting. Ive never rewound any motor.
At the moment i am using 300KV on 6s with 140 mm blades.
Nov 19, 2019, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woga65
Interesting. Ive never rewound any motor.
At the moment i am using 300KV on 6s with 140 mm blades.
Are you pitching the blades at 6 degrees for ultra endurance? Or is it a adrenaline stunt setup?
NASA has public data plots for common blades at
http://airfoiltools.com/airfoil/deta...il=naca0015-il .

I am guessing that your setup cruises at 6 degrees collective pitch, which allows the motor to
stay cool during cruise.
Nov 19, 2019, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Are you pitching the blades at 6 degrees for ultra endurance? Or is it a adrenaline stunt setup?
NASA has public data plots for common blades at
http://airfoiltools.com/airfoil/deta...il=naca0015-il .

I am guessing that your setup cruises at 6 degrees collective pitch, which allows the motor to
stay cool during cruise.
The pitch is limited to +/- 13 degrees but i never move the sticks that far.
As it comes to the tails there is a gravitational load of just about 120 g to 150 g so it will be in balance at just a few degrees of pitch. The main load goes to the front rotors.

This is how it looks.
Nov 25, 2019, 04:33 PM
Bought my motor and dissected it.
The bell weighs 15 grams, which is too light to bend the shaft on crash, which is a good thing.
The stater weighs 38 grams, which is still not heavy enough to bend the shaft on crashing at high speed with the bearing support pressed on to the motor base.
The only location the shaft can bend is the rotor mast.
Dec 11, 2019, 07:00 AM
More gadgets please.
I placed a nice little order with Ohio Model Hobbies
Last edited by pete914; Dec 11, 2019 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply