Sep 12, 2019, 11:06 AM
This old brain always willing to learn something new. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to see a picture of a full tail wheel installation (not just the tail wheel) that weighs less than the cut off piece of a zip tie (maybe 1.5" long).
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2019, 05:54 PM
jofro
Thread OP
Took it out again this morn to beat the wind, (unfortunately no luck there!) testing couple of made up props.
Sep 12, 2019, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks
If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to see a picture of a full tail wheel installation (not just the tail wheel) that weighs less than the cut off piece of a zip tie (maybe 1.5" long).
Geeze, it's not that big a deal,, literally. Here's a shot of the wheel mounted to the base of the rudder.

As stated, this is off a 1S UMX P51. The whole plane weighs 2.5oz. Just the wheel with the axle/support wire doesn't register 0 gr on my scales. I've got a photo of that too.

Bottom line, it works great. It's got maybe 60 touche-and-gos and half that many full stop landings. Love being able to taxi back to the bench without chasing everyone away.
Sep 12, 2019, 09:24 PM
jofro
Thread OP
I wouldn't worry much about the tail wheel, pointless the way it's just stuck into the Rudder fin.
I would rather upgrade that inferior Elevator horn mount, judging by the pic.
It will rip out in no time!
I highly recommend to you, re- mount it, by lager ply block or at least, in-bed it into the foam.

I have just re-balance and fitted to test fly another E-prop to compare its performance.
Sep 12, 2019, 09:59 PM
Well, I must have completely under- built my Hummer - right. It's been around the block many times. It has been as robust as anything that's been thrown around at our field (including a couple other Hummers, that haven't held up as well as this one).

But I get the impression I'm being baited here.

Follow the main H-K Hummer thread, I'm surprised how heavy and over powered some of these are. I fly mine below half throttle practically each time I go up. I get six minutes of mixed aerobatics including lots of hovering and vertical rolling climbs to 399 feet,, at half throttle.

I guess if I continually bashed it into the ground I'd have trouble with things like control horns, pushrods and servos. It's OK to build a plane to withstand crashes. I don't and enjoy terrific performance for a minimalist setup.

My message to those with this plane.. Go light. A 22X12 1000Kv motor, 3S 1000 mah battery and 9X4.5" prop will perform better than most of us can fly this thing. My added accessory, a tail wheel weighing less than a gram. Mine is 17 oz RTF, anything more, is overkill,, just my opinion.

Fly well
Last edited by SplashCrash; Sep 12, 2019 at 11:02 PM.
Sep 12, 2019, 10:13 PM
So sorry, jofro, for hijacking your thread. This is a great little 3D trainer. You've given us some good information.

Fly well
Sep 12, 2019, 11:23 PM
One more post, and I'll quit bothering people.

Thin CA (foam-safe) will soak into EPP foam to harden and strengthen the surrounding area. This will join a control horn, tail wheel wire, motor mount or main gear mount VERY solidly to the foam. The joint will be tougher than the surrounding structure.

Hope that helps explain the reason my tail wheel and control horn mounts stand up so well without extra reinforcement. Thanks for your indulgence.
Sep 13, 2019, 04:11 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Good luck, it needs lot of it with that Elevator assembly. Every pic tells the story, looks like it has never even flown.
Never mind, this is all about mine.
Few more flights this eve with mine after twilight, testing more props to come up to final conclusion, tho, still didn't have a chance to fly it in nice calm condition after dozen flights so far.
Sep 13, 2019, 07:22 AM
If it's any help, when it comes to props, more diameter and less pitch is going to win over less diameter and more pitch every time when it comes to 3d.

The extra diameter is better at blowing more air over the control surfaces at low air speeds, leading to increased control.

Pitch is about speed, and most 3D guys could care less about a fast plane. Large diameter props also good for holding speed in check on your down lines.
Sep 13, 2019, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro
Every pic tells the story, looks like it has never even flown.
Thanks, it's got over 30 flights. Hope to keep it looking like this.
Sep 13, 2019, 05:29 PM
jofro
Thread OP
Got up earlier this morn just to test it in dead calm for a change, lot nicer to handle for "slow&low", but few more props to test in these conditions to make most of it for my like.
"Note the carbon fiber stiffener in the Rudder fin". (1st. pic)
Sep 15, 2019, 06:26 PM
jofro
Thread OP
More fun over the fence this morn in perfect calm conditions, testing more props and battery capacities, very unstable at slow speed to my liking so going to do some wing mods to see what it does.
Sep 16, 2019, 03:44 AM
jofro
Thread OP
"Hummer" got its new shape today, ready for more fun over the fence.
Sep 16, 2019, 05:53 PM
jofro
Thread OP
Excitement of my new "Humber" maiden ended miserably with the wind and rain picking up as early as I have rotated very early in the morn! Bugger!
Snowing in Canberra and even Blue Mnt. brought some lousy conditions for this one.
Nevertheless, the wing modification slowed down model dramatically with much nicer hovering manuevres but noticed the elevator seem lot more responsive, and in the wind became bit of a handful so further adjustments to be made back on the bench.
Sep 17, 2019, 09:30 AM
I like it

Quick Reply