Sep 08, 2019, 07:12 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

What is your favorite micro/nano drone?

What is your favorite tiny cheap drone that has some sort of guards around the propellers and is fairly reasonable to control? I'm especially interested in flying indoors.
Last edited by nopedagd; Sep 08, 2019 at 07:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2019, 07:45 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
The Boldclash B03 Pro is pretty hard to beat for a cheap Whoop. Just add an AIO camera/VTX system and you're set.

Do you have a radio? And if so, what system is it?
Sep 08, 2019, 09:07 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
e011 (or one of the variants). indoors, its the best bang for the buck.
Sep 08, 2019, 09:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
The Boldclash B03 Pro is pretty hard to beat for a cheap Whoop. Just add an AIO camera/VTX system and you're set.

Do you have a radio? And if so, what system is it?
I'm not looking for something with a camera. This is to practice general flying. I actually have that drone in my notes as one to consider. What do you mean by a radio?
Sep 08, 2019, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
e011 (or one of the variants). indoors, its the best bang for the buck.
What's the deal with the guy holding a sword standing on it? For kids? Does it do any better if you remove the guy?
Sep 08, 2019, 09:52 PM
Yeah. You take off the guy. It's a silly gimmick.
Sep 08, 2019, 10:30 PM
If you don't need a fpv camera, nothing beat a eachine e010, use devo7e fly like a dream, if you want a fpv camera, then e011 is the ticket.
Sep 09, 2019, 12:16 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nopedagd
What's the deal with the guy holding a sword standing on it? For kids? Does it do any better if you remove the guy?

The fake-Lego figure is just dead weight, leave it off, give to your kids or someone else's, if you don't have kids, or your kids are not into Lego anymore.

I even removed the studded canopy, and replaced the FC with a BetaFlight board, added FPV camera, and turn into pretty nice brushed FPV flyer. Your could also consider the Armor 65 Lite, uses Silverware, to create a super smooth flying experience. Better transmitter recommended though, the RTF toy grade transmitter lacks precision. With a multiprotocol one, like from the Jumper series, it becomes amazing.

My overall indoor favorite is still the Mobula 7 though. Silent, smooth, and on 2S with throttle limit, enough power, but also very smooth altitude control.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Sep 09, 2019, 04:39 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Quote:
I'm not looking for something with a camera. This is to practice general flying. I actually have that drone in my notes as one to consider. What do you mean by a radio?
2.4ghz radio transmitter such as Futaba, Frsky, Spektrum, Flysky etc. I was just curious if you already had a radio system. It would have given you a bunch of bind and fly (BNF) options. For simply flying straight out of the box the B03 Pro is one of my favorites. I have a bunch of my family members flying them completely stock other than some 3D printed extended sticks for the transmitter.
Sep 09, 2019, 06:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
2.4ghz radio transmitter such as Futaba, Frsky, Spektrum, Flysky etc. I was just curious if you already had a radio system. It would have given you a bunch of bind and fly (BNF) options. For simply flying straight out of the box the B03 Pro is one of my favorites. I have a bunch of my family members flying them completely stock other than some 3D printed extended sticks for the transmitter.
I've never heard or thought about that before but looked into it a little bit so far and now am more confused than anything. Buy a $100+ transmitter to fly a $15 drone? I don't get the advantage. How much better can it make the outcome than the controller that comes with it? I'm guessing that some/most/all of those type radios can control a number of different types of drones? Do you have to find out the frequency the drone operates at and then adjust the radio, or something like that? I saw some things that say they are a transmitter but they look more like a gun or something and appear to have a trigger, like one that says:

Spektrum DX4C 2.4GHz Radio 4 Channel Surface Transmitter (Only) RC DSMR

and looks like there's a wheel on it. Is that type for rc cars and such? Back to the drone types if so: I see they have different numbers of channels. If a drone has 4, what good does it do to have a radio with 6 or 8 or more? Is there a good link or something to search for to explain all this stuff? Oh one more big question in my mind: would there be an advantage to get a radio like that to fly a DJI Spark with? I've seen that they are often sold without a controller, so is there a good advantageous approach to buying one and flying it with one of those type controllers? Then there's the price differences....some are around $35 on up to $300. Apparently there's a whole lot here to learn that I have absolutely no clue about yet.
Sep 09, 2019, 07:38 PM
Bwoop B-03 Pro.
Sep 09, 2019, 08:59 PM
Quote:
How much better can it make the outcome than the controller that comes with it?
literally like 100x better. no exageration.

a good transmitter makes a decent toy fly like a "real" quad.

15$ quad with a $15 camVTX and a real transmitter. (devo7e with 4in1 multiprotocol mod)

If you want even more performance, flash it with silverxxx firmware.
Tiny Whoop: Go Fast, Go High, Go Bang! (2 min 15 sec)
Sep 09, 2019, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merch
Bwoop B-03 Pro.
I am not sure their website is still running, I contact them but never got any reply.
Sep 10, 2019, 01:45 AM
Just an earth-bound misfit
I still fly my B03s, both without a camera LoS, and with one, flying FPV. The Lego Blue Knight, and the Santa quad are basically the same thing, once you take off the plastic figures and trash the anoying buzzer, just from different companies.

The big advantage of the Boldclash B03 is when you are ready to try flying FPV, you can buy their camera/transmitter already set up in a canopy for about $20 or less. You pop the little flat cover off the B03, plug the camera plug into the plug on the board, two screws and you're ready to go.

The little controller isn't great, and it's kinda small, but really not all that bad. You can still fly the Whoop out a good couple hundred feet, and it has three speeds, so you can get use to flying, and up your speed as you get better.

The better controllers/radios do have a lot of advantages, and the Jumpers can fly most of the better quads out there, and most all the BNF protocol quads, but you do pay the price. Definitely worth it if you do like flying them, and want to move on to better grade quads.

You can learn to fly cheaply and have a lot of fun with the B03, and it is about the cheapest way to move into FPV with something that is fun to fly and performs reasonably well too. They're great for inside Winter Whoopin, because they're all but indestructable, and light enough they won't trash out your house when you hit stuff.

Make sure you get a few extra batteries too, the flights will barely last 4 - 5 minutes, and you should wait a few minutes between flights with the brushed motors to cool them off, but will want to keep flying a bit. One battery won't cut it, you'll definitely want more.

Good Luck !!

Added:

You can also find them on Ebay, at least US Ebay, and at the same prices as Boldclash.
Sep 10, 2019, 04:51 AM
The Eachine TinyHawk looks good for a beginner to get into flying. You can get it as a RTF kit with radio, goggles and everything needed to get started. It's a bit more expensive compared to the 011's etc, but should last well and the goggles can be used for future purchases because let's face it... When you start flying it leads on to bigger, better and faster machines. Just because it has a camera and goggles doesn't mean you have to use them straight away. Fly line of sight (best way to learn anyway), then move on to FPV later if and when the urge takes you.

Quick Reply