German Youth Championships 2019

Here is a great story from Jurgen Heilig about an event in Germany. Keep scrolling for all the photos!

Splash

Youth Championships 2019

The German Model Flying Association (DMFV - Deutscher Modellfliegerverband ) promotes local events in various regions for young pilots and the top pilots finally compete against each other at the German Youth Championships.

This year the two-day event took place at the Aero-Club Rheidt, better known for its annual Euroflugtag.

The pilots can compete in four classes:

• Electric-Gliders,
  • Aero-Tow
  • Power-Models - Junior
  • Power-Models Expert.

Sep 10, 2019, 02:38 PM
Thread OP
Looks like a started this thread in the wrong subforum. Competition is correct, but nobody uses fuel anymore in these competitions.

Perhaps a moderator can move this thread in a better suited subforum?
Sep 10, 2019, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
Oops - DP.
Sep 11, 2019, 08:24 AM
MK
MK
It is always great to see youth participating in this hobby. They are our future!

Tnanks for the pictures. I'm sure the kids like them too.
Sep 11, 2019, 08:45 AM
Unlike in the US, they sure take the hobby very serious. I keep hearing how kids have no interest in RC airplanes and would rather play video games. Not so in Europe, apparently.
Sep 11, 2019, 02:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliers1
Unlike in the US, they sure take the hobby very serious. I keep hearing how kids have no interest in RC airplanes and would rather play video games. Not so in Europe, apparently.
I think it is similar in Europe too. There are much more activities available to them and flying model aircraft requires certain skills and patience, something which seems to be harder to find nowadays. It is our challenge to demonstrate that our hobby is not only enjoyable, but can also provide the basics for a career in a technical profession.
Sep 11, 2019, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
I think it is similar in Europe too. There are much more activities available to them and flying model aircraft requires certain skills and patience, something which seems to be harder to find nowadays. It is our challenge to demonstrate that our hobby is not only enjoyable, but can also provide the basics for a career in a technical profession.
I've worked with several high schools and spent 7 hours giving at least 100 cub scouts RC flying experience. I have to tell you that kids are indeed very much interested in RC aeromodeling. Problem has always been with clubs. Some only offer instruction once a week. Others no structured instruction at all.
I explain to all that anyone can fly my trainer anytime. I'm always just a phone call away. We have a couple of very large and open flying sites that are very well taken care of by the county. It doesn't matter if the person can afford to buy anything or not, I just want them to have a pleasant RC flying experience.
One day when they can afford to get into the hobby, at least they will have the skill to fly. The way it is now, it's like going to an auto dealership and having to buy the car before you can drive it. They way I teach, (no buddy-box) the student can have takeoff and landing experience usually on their very first lesson.

Clubs don't like it because once I teach someone, they don't have to join a club if hey don't want to. The club loses out on dues income. Can't have that. BTW, I've offered to teach anyone how to use this method and no one showed any interest at all. It would probably take a couple of hours to teach a veteran flier how to learn this technique.
Last edited by fliers1; Sep 11, 2019 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply