Feb 25, 2005, 09:58 AM
in pursuit of low wing loading
Thread OP

the RC Microflight newsletter is Dead

I just found out that the February issue of RCMF is the last. There was no warning. The editor had tried to contact me last week, but we weren't able to hook up as I was out sick that day. Now I know why. This is dissapointing. Some magazine is going to become the new home of micro RC. I just don't know yet which one it will be.

I just thought I'd post this so subscribers won't start wondering when the March issue never shows up on their web site.

Generally when magazines go away the publishers give you your remaining subscription in one of their other magzines. I've never heard of one refunding the remaining subscription in cash, but I suppose it could happen. We may all be reading about giant scale slimers in Model Airplane News next month

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Feb 25, 2005 at 10:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2005, 10:08 AM
To many projects
And all all I got was two months. Wonder if they will pro-rate a subscription refund?? Oh well, I've lost more on less I guess.
Feb 25, 2005, 10:09 AM
Well that kinda sucks! I guess i better go and download my favorite issues!

Greg
Feb 25, 2005, 10:19 AM
Thread OP
I now have it comfirmed from Air Age that RCMF is dead. So, that's that.

Gordon
Feb 25, 2005, 10:20 AM
The way they run their business I am not surprised this has happened.

Rest In (small) Pieces

Michael
Feb 25, 2005, 10:23 AM
Thread OP
Yes,
RCMF was a unique publichation. But, Air Age was terrible to deal with and not very smart. They are a family owned and run business and IMHO pretty behind the times.

Gordon
Feb 25, 2005, 10:25 AM
Ok So whos gonna start a new mag? Maybe we as a group can bring back the inside story?

Greg
Feb 25, 2005, 10:26 AM
Gordon,

Thats too bad, I know you put a lot of work into it, along with Matt, Dave Robelen, and others. I said I was going to renew my subscription when we were having a discussion about a month ago. I procrastinated and didn't get to it.
This is the absolute truth....I just got another renewal notice in the mail YESTERDAY! This just confirms my poor opinion of Air Age. I got lucky, last thing I need is ten months of Model Airplane News or Backyard Flyer, and no way they are going to add 10 or 12 pages of micro content to either of those.

Dave
Feb 25, 2005, 10:28 AM
DPN
DPN
I was an original subscriber to John Worth's Cloud 9 newsletter. I was a charter subscriber to RC Microflight when it took over the newsletter. I let the subscription run 1 year.

Fast forward to 2005. I decide to subscribe again, online. The day after I send in my subscription request I start seeing all the complaints begin about the new format.

I contacted them and they said my subscription would start March, 2005.

Hmmm...I should have just stuck to this forum, and took the money and went shopping at Bob Selman's...

David
Feb 25, 2005, 10:36 AM
It took them longer to die than I thought it would. I gave up on it 2 years ago. Does this mean their website and especially their vendor list will go away?

Pat Daily
Feb 25, 2005, 10:41 AM
Gordon,

Have you considered using your resources and contacts to publish your own micro flight mag? I am sure you could get a lot of subscriptions from RCG members alone.

We need a replacement for RCMF, but preferrably at a lower price for the online mag.

Steve
Feb 25, 2005, 10:51 AM
Thread OP
Steve,
It's probably not something I have time for. I have a demanding day job and three small children already. I tried to convince Air Age over the past year to start taking advertising in RCMF to bring the cost down. But, they were not interested. I think the best bet is for some other publisher to expand their micro coverage in an existing publication. This is something I'm working on now. A new publication without the industry contacts to pull in advertisers etc is probably tough to do, and would require more time than I would want to put in it.

Gordon
Feb 25, 2005, 11:39 AM
Could it be that because this forum has been so active, it drew readership away from R/C Microflight?

As to starting up another paper magazine to replace RCMF, why not expand what's already available on E-Zone. Graham Stabler's Inside Story series has a lot of good info. E-Zoners contribute lots of pictures, info, and free downloadable plans for indoor airplanes. E-Zone gives us regular updates on new products. It's all here!

All that's needed is some pulling together so beginners could get a more efficient overview of how to get started.

Jim R
Feb 25, 2005, 11:40 AM
I might suggest that anyone with a payed subscription dounload any articles/ Plans whilst they can, they may get sold off to another magazine were you will have to pay to get what you have allready payed for.
Stewart
Feb 25, 2005, 11:50 AM
Micro Brushless crazy
I'm depressed about all this. This was the only major mag in the micro world

Uttam

Quick Reply