Sep 17, 2019, 03:51 PM
Aedificem ergo sum
Corvette is right. It's probably more like a 4A transistor, but stick to 2A max and you should be fine. I've used a variety of 6mm and 7mm motors (both DD and geared) under 2 amps with no issue. For 6mm - as stated previously, the J3 cub motor and Champ/Spacewalker/B-17/etc. gearbox (with the smaller spur gear) gives the best power, and can easily fly 12 - 15" wingspan models under 30 grams.

The stock Mini-vapor, B-17, and original Vapor motors are wimpy, and with the high-ratio Mini-Vapor gearbox, you are limited to swinging ridiculously large props very slowly, which is only good for very light, very slow planes.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2019, 12:11 PM
This plane might be a source of ideas on how to do it, if you can get hold of some 1mm thick Depron or similar. It weighs 6.22g ready to fly, including a 50mAh battery that weighs 1.55g. No glue, no balsa. I don't know what the foam parts weigh, but I have some 1mm Depron that weighs about 140g per square metre, and a rough estimate shows that if I were to make this plane's foam parts of that, they would weigh about 1.5g.

If you wanted to do more than a simple stick model, you could build out of 1mm Depron but skeletonise the structure and cover it with supermarket fruit bags, which I have found weigh about 9g per square metre.

Quick Reply