Sep 08, 2019, 09:49 AM
Thread OP
Alert

New legend model boat kit release- the 1958 higgins 18’ magnum

The next kit release from LEGEND MODEL BOATS will be a boat which I had firsthand knowledge of as well as hull construction and mechanical systems, due to the fact it is one of the boats that my brother Glenn, bought after we did a quick survey of the hull, to bring home to the back yard, for a one year restoration.

The boat, a 1958 HIGGINS 18’ MAGNUM is one of the rarest, of the already rare, hard to find HIGGINS boats, to escape the burn piles in boat yards for delinquent storage fees. The boat, like many of the projects that my father, brother, and I would find, bring home, and restore, was a labor of love, to bring back these water born works of art, to enjoy and live a new life either in our possession, or pass on to a new owner to enjoy.

With the boat blocked up in the back yard the work load was split up for me to do the frame repairs along with stripping and refinishing the hull. My brother Glenn, to do the engine and transmission rebuild along with new wiring and gauges, and my sister-in-law, Barbara, to do the interior upholstery.

When we finished, the boat received high praise from fellow boaters as well as the boat yard and gas dock owners. My brother named the boat “OLD GOLD”, a fitting name for a boat saved from the inevitable burn pile.

The following picture survey of the finished model will show the extent of detail and finish which can be achieved.
Last edited by frankg; Sep 09, 2019 at 01:29 PM. Reason: U
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2019, 11:40 AM
Thread OP
In this final set of photos we show off our lighting package made for the HIGGINS MAGNUM, as well as the first and last thing a person sees when both stepping on or off the boats, the HIGGINS step pads.
Last edited by frankg; Sep 08, 2019 at 12:14 PM.
Sep 08, 2019, 11:51 AM
Thread OP
The model is a 1/6th scale model which measures in at 36” in length, with a 13 3/4” beam. This is an all wood kit, double planked hull with decks of Birch Plywood and Mahogany planking. The entire kit is laser cut and all deck hardware shown is included along with M.A.C.K. PRODUCTS precision running hardware being provided.

The kit will have two power packages available, BRUSHED and BRUSHLESS, as well as two optional packages for the kit, one with WORKING RUNNING AND INTERIOR LIGHTS, the other for WORKING TWIN AIR HORNS (electronic).

The pricing for the kit is as follows, HIGGINS MAGNUM KIT-----$ 455.00
BRUSHED POWER PACKAGE #402CE-----$131.00
LIGHT PACKAGE #707L-----$74.50
SOUND PACKAGE #RAM/MP70RC-----$58.00

The model is being scheduled for release in late October of this year. For those of you wishing to be put on a call up list for purchase at time of release, you can call M.A.C.K. PRODUCTS at (732) 870-2966 or FAX to (732) 870-1594, or Email at: [email protected].
Last edited by frankg; Sep 08, 2019 at 12:19 PM.
Sep 08, 2019, 12:09 PM
Grumpa Tom
It's gorgeous Rich! ��
Sep 08, 2019, 12:36 PM
Thread OP
Thanks TOM. This is the TRIBUTE BOAT that I mentioned a couple of years ago here on the forum that I had planned on doing for a future build to my brother.

TRIBUTE MODEL OF THE 18’ HIGGINS MAGNUM UTILITY “Old Gold”
IN MEMORY OF GLENN J. KOLL
This model of the Higgins Magnum named “Old Gold” is my tribute to my younger brother who passed away too many years too soon from cancer. I had personal knowledge of the boat since my brother, myself, and my father would find and restore old wooden boats from boat yard burn piles of the 1960’s, 70’s, and 80’s. My Brother found this boat, in a local drive way, with a FOR SALE sign taped to its bow. He came home and got me to go with him to survey the boat for the next restoration project. After checking the hull for plywood separation, something that early Higgins had problems with on their bottoms, and staring the engine, a deal was struck and the boat headed for my brothers back yard.

We spent the better part of a year replacing bad wood frames, stripping paint and a ton of varnish, and getting the chrome plating redone. My job was the finishing of the hulls varnished exterior and decks, my brother did the engine rebuild along with the transmission, and finally the interior was done by my sister in law, Barbara, to finish off the boat.

The boat turned out fantastic and was a show stopper when running the rivers around our home. He kept the boat for four years before selling her, so as to move on to another build, a Jersey Speed Skiff.

When I was designing this model of my brother’s boat, It brought pleasant memories of the times that my brother ,my father, Frank (pop), and I would go out on Sunday mornings “GUNK HOLEING” the marinas to check out what new and old wonderful boats we could see and sometimes make deals on.

I think it is with my love of the build of all the old woodies, in kit form, that I feel as though they are still with me when I sit down to design a new kit. This one is for you Glenn, It is only fitting that she be named “Old Gold”
Last edited by frankg; Sep 08, 2019 at 02:49 PM.
Sep 08, 2019, 02:19 PM
Lot of water; some gets thin
Finest kind Rich!
Sep 08, 2019, 05:47 PM
Very nice Rich! And thank you for sharing the story behind the boat!
Randy
Sep 08, 2019, 07:13 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Pat wants.
Sep 08, 2019, 08:45 PM
If the winds blowin, I'm goin!
Niiicee....i just don’t know if I could build her and finish her right..but she’s gorgeous!
Sep 09, 2019, 06:57 AM
Chris Craft Corvette
Beautiful model. Best to you and your departed brother.
Dick
Sep 09, 2019, 08:39 AM
Another pleasure boat brought to us by Legend Models.
About time these classics are reborn .

I have always loved the old time cars of the fifties and early sixties as I was a teenager back then.

Now I see that other people that lived their life, close to the water also had dreams of water craft.

A very nice story of memories to go along with each build.
Sep 09, 2019, 03:58 PM
Brushed power...is this water cooled?
Sep 09, 2019, 05:42 PM
Thread OP
JIM409- The power package is the same as we have used in all of LEGEND MODEL BOATS, except for the CALIFORNIA CRACKER BOX , the JERSEY SPEED SKIFF, AND THE MISS SEVERN which are all brushless powered.

The BRUSHED POWER PACKAGE MODEL #702CE is a completely fan air cooled motor and speed control system, no water plumbing needed.

This is the same system that we used in the CENTURY SEA MAID KIT which is about the same size boat as the HIGGINS MAGNUM but is a runabout and not a utility like the MAGNUM.

Quick Reply