Sep 08, 2019, 06:26 AM
Sticks
Thread OP
Help!

Aileron sensitivity

Need some guidance. I have an Horizon Hobby P 51 Blondie with a Spektrum Safe Receiver and on my maiden flight when I pulled back on the elevator the Ailerons move slightly causing the plane to roll left on take off. I noticed on the deck that if I pull back the the elevator the ailerons move to roll left. When I tried to loop the plane it rolled to the left. I tried adjust the dual rates and expo, but it didnít work. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2019, 07:44 AM
Custom User Title
Are you accidentally moving the stick to the left, or is the plane adding the aileron by itself?
Sep 08, 2019, 10:24 AM
Sticks
Thread OP
Not 100% sure maybe both. I adjusted the expo on the aileron to 80% looks like it helped so in think I am moving the aileron when I apply elevator. I will give another try next weekend and will let you know. Thank you for replying!
Sep 08, 2019, 10:33 AM
Custom User Title
That's a lot of expo for a war bird. But if you're comfortable with it, that's okay.

You may want to look into tightening up the stick tension. That way it will take more force to move the stick, lessening any accidental movement.

Also look into adjusting the stick length to find your comfort spot.
Sep 08, 2019, 11:32 AM
Sticks
Thread OP
Thank you, I will look at the stick tension as you suggest. Will let you know.
Sep 08, 2019, 12:27 PM
B for Bruce
Perhaps also alter how you are holding the sticks so you don't tend to input the accidental aileron motion. I assume here that you are a "thumbs on the ends of the sticks" guy. If so try pressing on the sticks a little more lightly so you can feel the centering spring in the aileron axis.

There's also a style of hold where you use both thumb and forefinger to move the sticks. This is done from the sides of the stick instead of pressing on the end. It makes it easier to move the stick without a lot of grip pressure that again hides the centering force of the aileron axis.

A little time just twiddling the sticks like this while watching TV or using them in a flight sim will soon help out. And if your hands just don't seem to be large enough to wrap around the box and hold the sticks easily through their whole range of motion in a way that gives you that sort of feel perhaps consider a supportive neck harness or Tx tray.
Sep 09, 2019, 12:24 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowland99
Need some guidance. I have an Horizon Hobby P 51 Blondie with a Spektrum Safe Receiver and on my maiden flight when I pulled back on the elevator the Ailerons move slightly causing the plane to roll left on take off. I noticed on the deck that if I pull back the the elevator the ailerons move to roll left. When I tried to loop the plane it rolled to the left. I tried adjust the dual rates and expo, but it didnít work. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
I'd say practice moving the stick straight up and down, you're moving it at an angle. Also, maybe adjust how you hold it a bit, if you're moving it down and left, up and right try rotating your how you hold it counterclockwise a bit.
Sep 09, 2019, 01:26 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
If you're a "thumb" flyer, it can be really difficult to move the stick in one axis and not move it in the other. I have big hands and fly with my thumbs on the sticks. In my early years, I had a terrible problem with inadvertently reducing throttle when I was feeding in left rudder and adding throttle when I was feeding in right rudder. Had to work extra hard to learn not to do that... Never had the problem with the right hand stick, only the left. Maybe because I'm right handed.
Sep 10, 2019, 02:15 PM
FA34HM3YC7

Discipline and Practice.

You are moving the stick to the side when you move it vertically.

Pay attention to how you are moving the stick and you will solve your problem.

Quick Reply