Sep 07, 2019, 06:05 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Motors too hot on custom freestyle build, help please :(

Hey,

Like title says, I'm struggling with hot motors on my new setup. I have been trying to fix it for several weeks now and I really don't know what the problem could be..

Setup:
T motor F80 2500kv motors
F45A esc's
DALRC F405 AIO fc (betaflight 4.0)
Frsky rx
Cockroach v2 frame from banggood
Caddx Turbo micro f2 camera
Eachine vtx 600mw (I can specify if needed)
5 inch props
4s lipo (doesn't get warm)

The motors and the escs are from a friend who has been using them for a while already but they were in good condition and he has never had any overheating problems. Both the motors and the escs become untouchable after 1 minute of 'normal' flying. The motors make the normal sounds on start-up and no smoke or whatsoever. I had one spare motor so I replaced one of them to check whether it made a difference but the new motor also got hot. I test the motors with betaflight so no props are involved in the tests..

Things Ive tried so far:
- Capacitors (470uF 25v) on the escs
- Soft mounting the fc with gommets
- Soft mounting the motors with anti vibration mounts
- lowering d term and filter in the pids of betaflight
-checked for screws touching motor windings (although I have no multimeter, I checked it just with flashlight and vision, and im 99% sure they are not touching the windings. Especially after the softmounts the screws don't stick out at all.)
- changing escs protocols, multishot, dshot and oneshot. I dare to say that multishot seems to work the best but still overheats.
-no loose screws, also tried 'loose-ish' screws when softmounting for optimal results but no luck

Only thing I can think of now is a full PID tune but never done that before and I heard that the default pids of 4.0 should be good enough for most setups. Also something else, on the product page of the motors they praise 'the high temperature resistance wires (240C)' and the benchtests do show a relatively high temperature on similar setup when going 1 min full throttle (around 80C). Do you guys think I can assume these motors are 'made' for these abnormal temperatures? Would be weird

Does anyone have any solution or thing I can try? Im actually freaking out now lol

Sisko
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2019, 09:14 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
hey, you have a thread on this already. there is no reason to start another.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...elp-please-%28
Sep 10, 2019, 12:36 AM
Thread OP
Yeah my bad started this one but soon realised this wasn't the correct category so copied the thread to different one
Sep 12, 2019, 02:50 AM
Lower your D value.
Sep 17, 2019, 10:25 AM
make sure your motors have good airflow. Also, lower your values.
Sep 17, 2019, 04:40 PM
Hot motors are almost always related to not enough filtering of the gyro noise. Newer Betaflight default filters work great if you have a fairly low noise setup with the FC soft mounted. If noise gets past the filters, you will get hot - even smoked motors because the noise gets into the motor control signal. Fast - slow - fast - slow, etc, etc.

Quick Reply