Sep 05, 2019, 05:56 PM
Duane, LSF IV
Thread OP
Question

F3B winch motor brush access

A friend's F3B winch is down with possible brush/commutator problem. The motor appeared dead, but I was able to get it to turn slowly and intermittently (with accompanying crackling sounds from the motor) by turning the drum by hand with switch closed. How do you open the brush covers for inspection? It looks like you need a one inch wide screwdriver.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2019, 08:28 PM
What motor? Bosch or Lucas?

On the Bosch you have to take the end cap off. Depending on the winch, you have to take off the little bearing cap on the end of the motor and remove the c clip from the shaft. Then you have to unbolt the two long bolts on the main cap (they also hold the motor to the winch). You also have to unbolt the braided cable. Then you can slide off the cap and see the brushes. When you do this the brushes will pop off the commutator. It can be a bit fussy to put back together, but that is the only way I know of to look at the brushes.
Sep 05, 2019, 10:06 PM
Duane, LSF IV
Thread OP
I don't know the motor make, and neither does the owner. I'll try to get some pictures. It does have a boss cap along with two main bolts on the end of the motor.
Sep 05, 2019, 11:06 PM
Lucas may be similar, not sure - never took one apart.
Sep 06, 2019, 03:36 AM
e coli fornia Resident
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmo
I don't know the motor make, and neither does the owner. I'll try to get some pictures. It does have a boss cap along with two main bolts on the end of the motor.
If it looks like this one it's a Bosch 1985 BMW 318i
Sep 06, 2019, 11:55 AM
Duane, LSF IV
Thread OP
Found out he dropped off the motor at an alternator shop for repair. Hopefully it comes back in working order.
Sep 18, 2019, 06:50 AM
Duane, LSF IV
Thread OP
Motor was repaired at the shop, and it is a Bosch. Thanks for the help.
Sep 18, 2019, 04:59 PM
Bosch commentator is a cylinder, brushes push towards the shaft. Good part numbers start 001 311 1xx where as depends on the vehicle. . Lucas 2m100, 3m100 motors are odd. Commutator is on the end,

IF you can't see the part number, Bosch end cap is a stamping while Lucas is a casting.

IF you wanted to take out the field coils, you need an impact wrench to do it.

Quick Reply