Dec 11, 2019, 12:50 AM
I am not a robot

Out of trim

Well I finally got my BL2 and the Lumenier batts. Changed the heli power lead to JST. Programmed the heli, charged the batteries, and found that it's quite a bit out of trim. I tried to do the "Drift Calibration" with little to no success. I may call HH Tech support in the morning. But for now the only way I can get a reasonable hover is to use manual trim in the Tx. I suppose I could adjust the swash servos, but I hate to mess with those little guys. I was really hoping for better.

One thing I noticed, when I put it into the drift calibration mode, it gets a little squirrely. Wants to hop up and down and the motor sounds different, like it's changed the pitch curve and is requiring more throttle to obtain hover thrust.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else has had to use trim to get theirs to hover. Mine wants to move forward and I doubt that the swash is perfectly level. But trying to put it in 3D mode with throttle hold on and then moving the throttle to mid stick did not get the blades to be at zero pitch either. This whole thing seems just a little weird. I'll say this for it, when it's in hover it seems to run very smooth. Tail might be a little sluggish but not terrible.

I think I like the 180 a lot more, but the 180 is not what I was looking for in an indoor heli.

Oh well what's another $200 bucks wasted.

EDIT; Just red the manual again. Now I see that after doing the drift calibration, and you push the bind button, the blue light sould come on solid. Mind comes on solid green. So I wonder what that means? Doesn't sound like it means "success" as mine does not get anymore stable after doing that.
Last edited by Sideslip; Dec 11, 2019 at 01:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2019, 09:33 AM
Your heli will drift if it is in SAFE mode. I would check whether the same problem occurs when you hover in IU2. In any case, you should not use trims with flybarless helis.
Dec 15, 2019, 09:37 AM
Side slip

What Lumenier batteries are you using with this heli?

Thanks
Scott
Dec 15, 2019, 10:21 AM
I am not a robot
I'm using these. They are a little loose in the battery tray. I put a small piece of fuzzy velcro on the top of the battery so that they fit sung in the tray. Seem to work very well. Though I haven't been able to fly any long flights yet. I did change the power lead to JST.

EDIT; There is evidently a problem with the board in my BL2. I have talked to the guys at HH tech support, and they agree that there is a problem. The drift calibration does not work and even when in IU2 the heli remains in safe mode. It self levels no matter what I try. Not a whole lot of fun to fly in safe all the time. Tail is very sluggish and of course it can not be flown inverted.

Only problem is that the boards are out of stock and who knows when they may come back in stock.
Last edited by Sideslip; Dec 15, 2019 at 10:28 AM.
Dec 15, 2019, 10:31 AM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw
Your heli will drift if it is in SAFE mode. I would check whether the same problem occurs when you hover in IU2. In any case, you should not use trims with flybarless helis.
Mine has a problem and stays in safe through all three flight modes. I'm a fairly experienced heli pilot. I fly several Align and other Blade helis with AR7200BX so I am used to setting up most of the flight parameters required by a FBL heli. Other than the board not operating properly, I think it's a nice heli for indoor flying.

EDIT; Mine drifts in all flight modes, and it seems to respond to trim adjustments just fine.
Dec 15, 2019, 11:46 AM
I am not a robot

A question about OEM main blades

The BL2 that I received has a spare set of blades. They are identical to the blades installed by the factory (bullet blades). In the ads for the BL2 you see the statement "Includes fast-flight and high-performance symmetrical main blades" I would expect this to mean that there would be a set of non bullet fully symmetrical blades included with the BL2.

Looking closely at the OEM video you can clearly see the ring made by the bullet blades in flight, even in the backyard 3D flights.

So my question is, did anyone receive a set of non bullet blades with their BL2? And has anyone changed to a non bullet style blade?

Thanks,

Bert
Dec 15, 2019, 02:22 PM
@sideslip
Might be worth checking the featuring and shaft for bends. Check and adjust the servo links for blade levelness at 0.Swap the grip/swash links should be spares in the box. Unplugg all servos, and motors. If you can try bings it to a different tx and back to yours. If HH has no board replacements available, see if you can get them to replace your heli. It's new so, they should take care of it. If the first guy says no, try again or speak with the supervisor.
Dec 15, 2019, 02:28 PM
I wish I had the $$ for one. To many helies already.
S2, 130s, 150s, and a 250cfx. Might be time to sale the 130s and 250cfx, and get this little beast.
Dec 15, 2019, 03:22 PM
I am not a robot
Yeah thanks for thinking of me. But, I've already checked the main and feathering shaft. Both are straight. Mine has a programing problem not mechanical. My blades track true in all three modes and at 100% throttle. In IU2 it's very stable, just can't flip it or anything else, becasue it's stuck in safe mode.

I can wait for the board. Not really a problem.
Dec 22, 2019, 09:52 AM

Binding

Hello,

I have the same issue with binding, I do not receive the blue light when I bind the heli with my DX6 remote control; I have the „Normal mode“ selected when I follow the procedure and receive the green light, I have the impression that the right rudder has no effect after the binding ...

Any suggestion how to do it, which mode to select ?

Best regards
Dec 22, 2019, 11:34 PM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin4
Hello,

I have the same issue with binding, I do not receive the blue light when I bind the heli with my DX6 remote control; I have the „Normal mode“ selected when I follow the procedure and receive the green light, I have the impression that the right rudder has no effect after the binding ...

Any suggestion how to do it, which mode to select ?

Best regards
I don't personally understand exactly what you're asking. But as to the tail rotor not operating properly...do you realize that it's different with a direct drive motor driven tail rotor.? The tail motor only turns one direction. Does the tail motor run when you fly the heli?

As to the biding problem, as of now I still can't get mine to bind with anything but the green light. However I'm expecting at some point to get a new board from HH. When??? I have no idea.
Dec 23, 2019, 01:57 AM

Binding procedure

Hello, I was refering to the manual binding procedure. According it, We have to set full right rudder until we receive the blue light. This step does not work, but I can bind with success. Just wondering how to receive the blue light instead of the green I have ...
Dec 23, 2019, 09:50 AM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin4
Hello, I was refering to the manual binding procedure. According it, We have to set full right rudder until we receive the blue light. This step does not work, but I can bind with success. Just wondering how to receive the blue light instead of the green I have ...
Same here. And for me, mine is stuck in Safe mode (self leveling). I can move my F mode switch and it changes from Normal at "0" position to "1" and then on to position "2" and the heli stays in self leveling mode. Can't do any inverted flight because cyclic is limited in all three modes.

After talking with one of the tech guys down at Horizon Hobby, they decided to send me a new board. However the control board is now out of stock, and they don't seem to have any idea when they'll get more in stock.
Dec 24, 2019, 12:20 AM
Yen
Yen
To bind, make sure you’re in high rates with 100% travel. Don’t move the rudder stick to the right as it was a misprint in the manual.
Dec 24, 2019, 08:34 AM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yen
To bind, make sure you’re in high rates with 100% travel. Don’t move the rudder stick to the right as it was a misprint in the manual.
I would be very interested in knowing where you got this information. If there is really that big of a misprint, I find it hard to believe that Blade/Horizon Hobby has not at least corrected it in the online manual. But if it works it would solve my problems.

EDIT; While I haven't tried the bind method that was mentioned by Yen, I suggest that people not experienced with collective pitch helicopter models not try this. High rates would have you binding in Stunt 2 or Idle up 2. Either of which could be very dangerous.
Last edited by Sideslip; Dec 24, 2019 at 08:42 PM.

Quick Reply