Sep 04, 2019, 02:23 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Thread OP
Discussion

SAB Goblin Kraken

I just picked up one of the new Kraken's its not brand new but only a couple of months old.

Spec as follows:
Motor: Kontronik Pyro 750 500kv Competition
ESC: Kontronik Kosmik 200 Kool
Servos: BK
FBL: Spirit pro
Rx: Jeti R3L

It's a really nice design, it's pretty much all new with very few parts carried over from the previous Goblin models. The enclosed gearbox is a great idea, gears are all metal so no chance of stripping even with the most powerful setup, the belt primary drive is retained from the original Goblin. The modular frame design is very original and looks great. The servo layout is a complete departure from the traditional Goblin layout, the servos are no longer symmetrically positioned but it does make a much narrower frame allowing a sleeker canopy. The heli is a bit heavier than previous Goblins but it seems to fly great regardless based on the 4 flights I've got so far.

to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2019, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
I just picked up one of the new Kraken's its not brand new but only a couple of months old.

Spec as follows:
Motor: Kontronik Pyro 750 500kv Competition
ESC: Kontronik Kosmik 200 Kool
Servos: BK
FBL: Spirit pro
Rx: Jeti R3L

It's a really nice design, it's pretty much all new with very few parts carried over from the previous Goblin models. The enclosed gearbox is a great idea, gears are all metal so no chance of stripping even with the most powerful setup, the belt primary drive is retained from the original Goblin. The modular frame design is very original and looks great. The servo layout is a complete departure from the traditional Goblin layout, the servos are no longer symmetrically positioned but it does make a much narrower frame allowing a sleeker canopy. The heli is a bit heavier than previous Goblins but it seems to fly great regardless based on the 4 flights I've got so far.

What happens inside that gearbox when you crash is gonna be ugly though.

Wish someone would make a two stage belt driven heli heli with no gears. The Protos Max 2 is a good idea but needs to be too wide, using two reduction stages would have the same benefit but with a narrower frame.
Sep 05, 2019, 12:11 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull
What happens inside that gearbox when you crash is gonna be ugly though.
Not sure why it should be bad, in fact it should be under most crashes a good thing because no more chipped gears on plastic main gears.. Previously a metal main gear was available for Goblins which ran open to air. This gear was indestructible, I dont know of anyone who has ever damaged one. It's problem was rapid wear as result of picking up dirt due to running open to air, which should be solved with the new enclosed design.
The main shaft on the new enclosed design is easily replaceable there is a cover in the side of the case which accesses the shaft retaining screw, the shaft just slides out the top.

The Kraken has been on sale for three months now and so far I've not heard of a single gearbox problem or a gearbox being damaged in a crash. The only issue so far has been grease seeping out, which SAB say is not a problem (its due to over packing with grease they say)

As for belts... i guess the main issue there is that to transmit the very high torque on the second stage, you would either need a very deep belt which would take up a lot of space vertically, or you need a large pulley, which ends up back with the Protos Max problem. Either way you dont end up with a compact drive train.
Sep 05, 2019, 07:28 PM
You mentioned the Kraken being a bit heavier,what were your findings in the 4 flights you did that you mentioned were great?
How does it auto from a decent altitude (200 ft or more) ?
Do you find that being a bit heavier affects it's auto's?
I'm going to assume you auto at the end of each flight.
Last edited by Suckerpunch; Sep 05, 2019 at 11:43 PM.
Sep 06, 2019, 01:46 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Thread OP
No Autos for me unless they are forced It's 200-250g heavier than my Goblin Black Thunder T
The 4 flights were on a really windy day so hard to draw any firm conclusions, but it did seem very stable in the wind. To be honest from the limited stick time I've had it flies just like any other Goblin, which is to say 'very nicely'.
Sep 07, 2019, 07:32 PM
A man who delivers.(packages)
Fuselage looks great and those skids go well with it! You should try autos, Sir! They look like they can take a lot of weight!
Sep 29, 2019, 05:18 PM
My Kraken canopy doesn’t fit. The ESC mounting plate is preventing me from locking canopy in place. Can anyone help?
Oct 02, 2019, 09:20 AM
so, the gear box stops leaking oil after some time?
Oct 02, 2019, 12:54 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Paratrooper
My Kraken canopy doesn’t fit. The ESC mounting plate is preventing me from locking canopy in place. Can anyone help?
The ESC plate is meant to be a snug fit against the canopy, it provides support ... but it shouldn't stop it fitting. Mine goes in just fine.
Oct 02, 2019, 12:57 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by John/T
so, the gear box stops leaking oil after some time?
It's not got oil in, it's grease. The grease does leak out mainly through the output shaft for the tail drive. It seems to slow down or stop altogether after about 30 flights. I've not noticed any further leakage from mine.
SAB first claimed that this was a problem caused by over grease filling of the first batch Krakens, and that may be partly true, but I've seen reports of leakage on later batches too.
Oct 02, 2019, 03:26 PM
Beautiful Heli
Oct 04, 2019, 12:17 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Paratrooper
I might have figured your problem out. The carbon brackets that hold the FBL platform also carry the rear canopy mounts. These brackets can be installed either way up and they fit either way, but if installed upside down the canopy wont fit.

So i think you have the FBL mounting plate brackets upside down....
Nov 13, 2019, 09:16 AM

SAB Kraken Build and Set Up

Good Morning . I moved recently to Miami area I buy a new Kraken But i need someone who build and set up for me Please let me know who can help me out . I will pay for the service. Thanks
Nov 13, 2019, 03:22 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Thread OP
I'd love to help you, the Kraken is a very enjoyable heli to build and work on, but shipping to the UK would be a little expensive I suggest you contact the local RC flying clubs in your area.
Yesterday, 01:56 AM

Build help

196DONOMAR:
Hey there. I love building helis, I have a Goblin 570 and Synergy E5 both outfitted with Vbar Neo's, Castle Talon ESC's, Scorpion Motors, and BK servo's. Both of them fly very well. If you need someone to build a Kraken for you, hit me up. I live here in the Los Angeles area. Send me a PM if your interested. Been playing with RC for more than 20 years.

G. Rees

Quick Reply