Sep 04, 2019, 10:56 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Beginner flying without gyro

I am used to fly with gyros. I especially use the Eagletree Guardian in 2d mode (beginner mode).
Also the AS3X SAFE is in one plane.
I started now, switching all gyro functionality off.

It is quite a different flying. Because you have to counteract the wind yourself. The plane feels much more volatile and is much harder to land and to bring it back to the airport safely.

All older pilots in our club donít use a gyro.
Climate changes and wind speeds increase in average.

How will be this hobbyís future? Do we include more and more electronics or just fly like our grandfathers without anything?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2019, 11:45 AM
It's a matter of taste.
Some people like it traditional and some like to have at least gyro for one or more channels if not the whole stabilisation system. Depends on the plane and on the pilot. But it's highly recommended to be able to control your models without the help of such systems, they can get faulty.

This is also a great opportunity to train yourself to be a good pilot so you won't be bothered by the winds.
Sep 04, 2019, 12:49 PM
Perpetual Noob
I have several planes without gyros and some with. I'm in the process of converting all mine to gyro stabilized as it makes flying so much more enjoyable. Don't worry what others may say, it's your plane and they don't fly it. The object is to enjoy yourself at the field.
Sep 04, 2019, 01:06 PM
Thread OP
Hi Boxcar31,

which gyro are you using?
Sep 04, 2019, 01:39 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
I stared flying RC back in about 1960.

I had home made single channel radio controlling just the rudder via a pulsed small electric motor, and IC engine powered.

There was better more 'advanced' gear available, but still fairly crude at the time.

We had to learn how to trim models without throttle control, no Tx trims, rates, gyros etc. There was no ARF/RTF model that I knew of, we built everything.

Looking back we probably had more actual fun flying, knowing each successful flight as quite an achievement.

The future will probably be flight sims. (weather unsuitable out doors), and ultra ultra small indoor models complete with FPV, basically 'airchair' flying.

Sep 04, 2019, 04:42 PM
Perpetual Noob
Slumi,

I'm using the AR636A in my BNFs and LemonRX in my others.No issues with the Lemons and my DX9.
Sep 04, 2019, 04:43 PM
But if you fly ONLY in beginner and safe mode ,you will never advance your skills .
Sep 04, 2019, 05:09 PM
Perpetual Noob
Dale,

Using a gyro does not equate to the attitude limitations of the Sensor A[ssisted Flight Envelope. Personally, the only time I'm using SAFE is when I'm working with a Noob.
Sep 04, 2019, 09:45 PM
I have planes with as3x and others with none. 2 planes have safe which i never use. No issues with people using safe. Issue is when they never get away from using it which keeps them from learning to how to really learn to fly there planes to there full potential. There are many threads where many are scared to turn safe off. I do not understand why so many do not want to enhance there skills.
Sep 05, 2019, 03:00 AM
Thread OP
Just to add,

the Eagletree Guardian is the perfect gyro for 2d beginner mode. Itís much more reliable than Lemon Rx Stabilizer Plus.

But as discussed before, the majority tells us, that you should be capable to fly without gyro.
Sep 05, 2019, 07:55 AM
Nothing wrong flying with the gyro , just flying ONLY in beginner and safe modes.
No safe in this plane just as3x which helps only a little bit as I am flying umx Beast in strong gusty every which way wind....
10 14 Low 6 sec hover in guesty winds (4 min 5 sec)
Sep 06, 2019, 10:36 AM
B for Bruce
Flying with a gyro, or rather a proper stabilizing system is like having an instructor correcting your mistakes or attempts to fly outside of the limits while you're trying to fly. A good thing at first but rather limiting later on when you want to make the model perform maneuvers. A stabilizing system also insulates you from what the model will do when you push it too far such as trying to fly too slow or using too much control input when flying slow and the odd things that the model can do in such cases. Again a nice feature for a beginner but you'll never need or learn the finer points of advanced flying and performing oddball aerobatics. And that seems like a big limitation to me.
Sep 06, 2019, 11:44 AM
Perpetual Noob
A gyro that is setup in a plane doesn't correct any stall or invoke the limiting you suggest. A good gyro system will fact will not interfere with any stick movement but will react to sudden, transient changes in attitude caused by turbulence. The gain assigned to each of the gyros will determine how fast and the amount of correction applied but will not impact the control input from the pilot.
Sep 06, 2019, 03:28 PM
People are STILL confusing gyros (as3x) with SAFE (sensor assisted flight envelope). Gyros counter turbulence issues and do not limit stick input. SAFE systems are what limits stick input....good for over controling newbies! Keeps them somewhat in control until they learn without immediatly destroying thier aircraft!
Sep 06, 2019, 08:14 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Too much emphasis on RCG about developing everyone into great pilots. If you enjoy the flying you're doing, you've already won the contest. All skill levels pay the same.

Go with what works for you and ignore people telling you how you must progress to make them happy.

Quick Reply