Sep 08, 2019, 12:24 AM
Thread OP
Wow, what a day. Rain hold until lunch (hot pasta), then flight commenced. There was surprising lift under a variable overcast, and my first round won me 991 points. As pointed out earlier, you had to nail the landing, and 94 points wasn't good enough. I flubbed the second round, so no fly-offs for me, even if we hold one. We did seven of eight heats for round three, and then the rain really shut us down. What to do? Why, retire to the banquet site an hour early, and sample wind and beer until the food was ready, of course!

Banquet was followed by a drawing for door prizes that included many rolls of covering, lots of glue, some joke prizes, and three kids: a Chrysalis Lite and two Slite V2s. Wow. I won ( wait for it) a t-shirt, and it fit. John Lueke scored a smaller Gruener kit, complete with the supplies necessary to complete it.

This morning: fog currently, with increasing rain. But off we go. The goal is to complete round three, plus one more round, then it will be a formal contest.

Rain? Who cares? We are enjoying the people and place hugely.

Greg
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2019, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly
We just had the Pre-Brief held in a tent. Not a good sign for an outdoor Soaring Competition. ...
We even had the award ceremony in this tent ! So there must have been some time for flying in between.
Endeed we were lucky to get 4 preliminary rounds + 2 Flyoffs out of this rainy weekend.
Will posts some pictures later.

You can see the results in the German rc-network thread:
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...=1#post4856635

Many thanks to all of you! Have a good remaining time in Germany and a safe trip home !

Josef
Last edited by seppale; Sep 08, 2019 at 11:53 PM.
Sep 08, 2019, 08:08 PM
Good stuff! I have enjoyed the updates and photos!
Sep 09, 2019, 07:33 AM
Sonoran Laser Art
Great job Josef and team. It's wonderful seeing everyone enjoying flying and being together.

Corky
Sep 09, 2019, 04:49 PM
looked like you guys had fun even though it was rain shortened.
Wow Greg... 10th place and less than 1 point from making the fly-offs.
Sep 10, 2019, 03:17 PM
Thread OP
I cannot find words to describe how much fun we had with our German (and Austrian) friends. I have a lot of pictures, too, but have so far been unable to get them into RCGroups with my sad little tablet. Please bear with me.

The venue in a farm valley outside Dachau was knock-down gorgeous. We were sheltered from wind by a line of trees, and faced a south-facing slope that caught what sun there was (which was never actually shining). Launch lines and targets were arranged to make shifting easy. A national contest of this stature will always have oversight timers and a dedicated landing judge, all of whom were competent, alert, and invariably polite. Food was served hot both days, and was superbly appropriate for the wet weather.

I sure appreciate my fellow Americans: John Kennedy, John Lueke, and Larry Jolly. Larry coached me in the last round, and that was what nearly pushed me into the fly-offs. We were making tactical decisions about every 15-30 seconds, until six minutes went by. Thank you, Larry.

First place went to Herald Helm, who designed the Madres. He was flying his new, refined and developed version, as were several other flyers. Boys, these ships are THE ship to fly in light lift. Look for them at [email protected]. There other new designs coming down the pike as well, and they will blow your mind.

There were many kinds of airplanes, both old and new. They were all competitive, and when I get home you will see most of them. Old ships: PuRES, X-RES, Baba Jaga, Samba Evo, and even the first prototype Slite. I saw at least a dozen home-builds, including those of John Lueke. The new Slite v2 showed well. The Yellow Jacket is not available in Europe, and you can be thankful for that. There are maybe four new designs that were flown that will have many of you salivating.
But, the pilot is still the critical factor.

My thanks to:

Josef Schweiber who organized the whole affair.
His son Stefan, who got us to shelter Sunday afternoon.
His wife Petra, ever cheerful, ever keeping us out of trouble.
Josef Gergetz, a powerhouse of good cheer and excellent English.
His wife Tatiana, who has become very good friends with us.
All the contest staff, ever cheerful, ever patient with ignorant Americans.

Get this: no one mentioned Trump. Yea!!! A whole weekend of not caring!

I will keep trying to get this thing to post pictures.
Sep 11, 2019, 06:32 AM
Monumental Effort by those in Indersdorf

I count at least 3 crates for bier tische

thats 30 tables and 60 benchs

Then there's the Oktoberfest Zelt
someone rode to the field with a Kuhle hanger as well, to keep the brat wurst and fleischkase cold

Good stuff

where the pics of the Hacker Dunkel Weizen and the paar bratwurst am weckerl

Tks for the Pics Greg

whacker
in NS
Sep 11, 2019, 05:06 PM
Way to go John Kennedy
Sep 12, 2019, 08:57 PM
Greg,
Thanks for the great pictures and description of your amazing trip. Despite the rain, it looks like you and family had a great time! Thanks again for sharing.

Jay
Sep 13, 2019, 01:34 PM
Anyone know what the winning models were, weights?

JDK

Quick Reply