Thread Tools
Dec 24, 2019, 05:11 PM
Build, crash...repeat
AleRRon's Avatar
Not yet. I thought I’d get a feel for it first. I don’t have a flight stab in it either. I was going to put an AIO unit on it but I buggered that up crashing another plane the day before so I need to buy another one
Last edited by AleRRon; Dec 24, 2019 at 06:01 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2020, 01:34 AM
Registered User
Any chance you would be willing to share which dollar store you found the foam at? I'm having a hard time finding anything similar.
Feb 17, 2020, 09:54 PM
Build, crash...repeat
AleRRon's Avatar
We have a few dollar stores here in the states. I think mine was Dollar Tree. I buy it by the case and have it delivered to the store for free and just pick it up. Theyíll ship to you for a fee but it could be a lot.
https://www.dollartree.com/readi-boa...-boards/809955

Walmart carries Ross brand foamboard that is similar. I think the paper is more tightly bonded and it might weigh slightly more but I think would work fine.
Feb 18, 2020, 12:56 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragons_Fire
Any chance you would be willing to share which dollar store you found the foam at? I'm having a hard time finding anything similar.
The readiboard and Ross foam board isn't the preferred material. This ucreate foam has no paper covering.

This foam I found at a "your dollar store with more". This is a Canadian chain but the product is made in America.
Feb 18, 2020, 09:21 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by notamedclosed
The readiboard and Ross foam board isn't the preferred material. This ucreate foam has no paper covering.

This foam I found at a "your dollar store with more". This is a Canadian chain but the product is made in America.
Thanks. I will take a look today to see if I can find It.
Feb 20, 2020, 10:25 AM
Build, crash...repeat
AleRRon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by notamedclosed
The readiboard and Ross foam board isn't the preferred material. This ucreate foam has no paper covering.

This foam I found at a "your dollar store with more". This is a Canadian chain but the product is made in America.
Notamedclosed
i know you used the Ucreate foam, but I used Readiboard for mine. Works great. I use it a lot. I also use Model Plane Foam for many of my builds. Depends if I want or care about paper or not. MPF is thicker and a little stronger too. I looked for the Ucreate foam to try but could not find it locally. I think I found it online for an outrageous price.

But if youíre both in Canada then Ucreate might be the best choice
Feb 20, 2020, 11:52 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleRRon
Notamedclosed
i know you used the Ucreate foam, but I used Readiboard for mine. Works great. I use it a lot. I also use Model Plane Foam for many of my builds. Depends if I want or care about paper or not. MPF is thicker and a little stronger too. I looked for the Ucreate foam to try but could not find it locally. I think I found it online for an outrageous price.

But if youíre both in Canada then Ucreate might be the best choice
Lots of ways to skin a cat. Plus you got to use what you can find. The only issue is if you want to try and make Sub 250g then it requires some trail and error if you stray from the original materials.
Feb 23, 2020, 08:42 AM
Build, crash...repeat
AleRRon's Avatar
Readiboard is pretty light. I use hot glue which is a little in the heavy side. And I usually have to use tape and more glue for repairs. So Iím not sure what it weighs right now, but Iíll weigh it soon and report back.
Iím building another one with MPF now. Iíll weigh that and report back when done.
The new FAA proposed regs here in the US allow sub 250 Gram planes to be flown without ID broadcasting, so this plane is an attractive option if those regs are passed.
Feb 24, 2020, 08:42 AM
Registered User
I live in New Brunswick, I get my foamboard at the Dollarama. Walmart also has foam but it was a lot heavier and more expensive last time I tried it.


The foamtini is on my todo list.
Feb 24, 2020, 10:42 PM
Build, crash...repeat
AleRRon's Avatar
Itís an easy to build and fun to fly little wing. I have a blast with it even without a flight stabilizer
Feb 29, 2020, 06:49 PM
Build, crash...repeat
AleRRon's Avatar
This is the weight of the DTFB model after some nose repairs with glue and tape, with a 850 mAh lipo
Mar 01, 2020, 10:14 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleRRon
This is the weight of the DTFB model after some nose repairs with glue and tape, with a 850 mAh lipo
Looks good. I'm impressed with the weight!
Aug 13, 2020, 11:35 PM
Registered User
Just built a quick and dirty one with DTFB and though my build was terribly crooked and rushed, still was a great great quick proof of concept flight to build a nicer more rugged one with some 18650s and inav. Love how simple this is. Will be back with pictures of my final version after the weekend! thanks for the AWESOME plans!!
Aug 14, 2020, 09:55 AM
Build, crash...repeat
AleRRon's Avatar
my DTFB model worked well, although I crashed it enough that it had to be put out of it's misery eventually. Then I built one out of MPF. Could not get it to fly right no matter what I did. I have no idea why...
so another DTFB one is in the works. It's a quick and easy build.
Aug 14, 2020, 09:59 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleRRon
my DTFB model worked well, although I crashed it enough that it had to be put out of it's misery eventually. Then I built one out of MPF. Could not get it to fly right no matter what I did. I have no idea why...
so another DTFB one is in the works. It's a quick and easy build.
I wonder if it was the rigidity? One of the reasons I was happy to find the UCreate foam was it was stiffer then my MPF (of which I've built many models from). Closer or near depron.

DTFB is nice and stiff though.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Sub 250g with FPV and GPS/Autopilot 777arc Micro Multirotor Drones 0 Feb 26, 2018 12:50 AM
Build Log Sub-250g micro flying-wing UAV (MAV) SurfSloper UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 37 Oct 01, 2017 03:12 PM
Discussion Sub 250g FPV Racing Class Tattu.Miguel FPV Racing 0 Jul 24, 2016 01:14 AM
Build Log Sub 250g FPV Quadcopter with over 11 minutes Flight Time daneelgiskard Mini Multirotor Drones 0 May 23, 2016 10:45 AM