Sep 10, 2019, 07:19 PM
Lot of water; some gets thin
An update on vinegar. Experimented with heated vinegar & about an hour of immersion. After spraying adhesion seemed okay(not ready to say great) but to me much better than merely sanding brass rails. Long term durability yet to be determined. Causes me to think that sanding the brass and then using vinegar might be a reasonable low-cost solution with the added advantage of eliminating another can of paint in inventory.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2019, 08:40 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chum444
An update on vinegar. Experimented with heated vinegar & about an hour of immersion. After spraying adhesion seemed okay(not ready to say great) but to me much better than merely sanding brass rails. Long term durability yet to be determined. Causes me to think that sanding the brass and then using vinegar might be a reasonable low-cost solution with the added advantage of eliminating another can of paint in inventory.
I was in the process of soldering railings when I placed one in the wrong spot. I popped it out and rest of the railings started to come with it. I continued removing that “ run” of railings I repaired that rail then placed it in a hot vinegar bath just like you . To my surprise the flux came off ,it looked like it cleaned and prepped the brass. I let the part air dry hit it with spray bomb S.E.P. ( self etching primer) then white paint and reinstalled the railings as an assembly it worked out so I pulled the rest of the sections of rail and repeated steps above . No masking / over spray
Latest blog entry: Blog
Sep 12, 2019, 05:09 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Bill and liljimmy-right you are-I always a vinegar bath (use cleaning vinegar and not salad vinegar-its 5% acid,as stated above) and then a 000 steel wool shine...then paint
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Sep 15, 2019, 09:11 PM
Lot of water; some gets thin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gaito
Bill and liljimmy-right you are-I always a vinegar bath (use cleaning vinegar and not salad vinegar-its 5% acid,as stated above) and then a 000 steel wool shine...then paint
Bob,
Added your steel wool technique to heated vinegar with a couple hours immersion. Not exactly finest kind but works pretty darned well. Well enough that I won’t be adding another 95% full rattle can to my inventory of cans.
Last tweek....what is cleaning vinegar?? Sounds like something that could not double for use in salad dressings.

Bill
Sep 16, 2019, 05:35 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Bill, I just buy it in the stop and shop, its under $4/Gal(5%acid)..I did see that Home Depot sells 30% for $25/Gal-but I don't know about that strength and more over, I'm too cheap!
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC

Quick Reply