Sep 20, 2019, 01:40 PM

Tiger 30cc

This is really cool. I had a Tiger 120 ARF long ago and it was great.

Thinking 12s electric since I have a setup here that needs a good home.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2019, 08:54 PM
Banned in Britain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodor
Why do a lot of these planes stipulate a gasoline engine or electric, but they don't mention glow engines? What's with that? I have several glow four strokers that will perform as well as a 30cc gasser. I'm not interested in moving into gas engines and as long as I can afford glow fuel, I won't be. I like that big Tiger but until I understand why they say "Gas" and not glow, I'll hold off ordering.

Tom
Im with you. there is no better power to weight than glow power.
Nov 02, 2019, 11:57 PM
one obvious problem with this airplane and a glow engine is going to be the size of the tank, all of it well ahead of the CG. this airplane isn't just designed around gas, it's designed around a specific engine - the DLE 35RA. because the cowl is narrow there aren't a lot of option on engines, gas or glow, especially side exhaust.

to those that are criticizing the airplane...ali has stated that this airplane came from the tower side, which is easy to believe to anyone familiar with tower ARFs. tower also had DLE. at least for some people I suspect this is going to be one of their favorite airplanes.
Last edited by koppterX; Nov 03, 2019 at 12:06 AM.
Nov 18, 2019, 08:14 PM
Still Outta Control !
I was considering the RV4 before I stumbled on this. How does the Tiger 30cc stack up against the H9 Van’s RV4? Which has the wider flight envelope, better stall characteristics and slower landing speeds? Has anyone flown both? Anyone with the Pros and Cons of the Tiger?
I’d probably set up the flaps. I'd use the DLE35RA.
I don’t find much information on the internet yet.
I’m an intermediate flyer looking for something easy to fly from a grass field. I like my old Astro Hog w/OS65, but prefer a tail dragger. I have a Kaos w/OS45 and Ultrastick w/OS 55. when I need a little more excitement.
Last edited by timewarpped; Nov 19, 2019 at 11:57 AM.
Nov 19, 2019, 11:17 AM
Arrowhead
I’m curious too. I’ve been flying the RV for about a year and a half. It’s great in the air, my first large “everyday” plane. I’ve found landings on our grass runway a challenge. The landing gear is very soft and springy. Anything other than a slow, gentle touchdown can bounce you 6’ in the air. Heck, the weight of the plane alone causes the gear to flex.
Nov 19, 2019, 11:37 AM
Still Outta Control !
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
I’m curious too. I’ve been flying the RV for about a year and a half. It’s great in the air, my first large “everyday” plane. I’ve found landings on our grass runway a challenge. The landing gear is very soft and springy. Anything other than a slow, gentle touchdown can bounce you 6’ in the air. Heck, the weight of the plane alone causes the gear to flex.
While watching YouTube videos of the RV4 I found this guys solution to the springy gear. It’s at the very end around the 2:00 mark. It looked pretty slick to me and could be adjustable by using springs of different tension.
https://youtu.be/jeCp3mOtQ60
Nov 19, 2019, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koppterX
one obvious problem with this airplane and a glow engine is going to be the size of the tank, all of it well ahead of the CG. this airplane isn't just designed around gas, it's designed around a specific engine - the DLE 35RA. because the cowl is narrow there aren't a lot of option on engines, gas or glow, especially side exhaust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff
Wish it was the a tri-gear like the original. Not a fan of tail dragger.
Bob
This alternative (70" Phoenix Models Tiger 3) may be available in the near future according to Tower status and looks to be friendlier to those of us favoring glow power.

With the exception of obvious variations from the original Goldberg Sky Tiger (aft canopy and swept vertical fin), its at least more historically correct in that its equipped with tri-cycle gear; the mains are located in the wing where they belong to allow those cool lookin' airliner type approaches and touch downs.

Quick Reply