This thread is privately moderated by SteveT., who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 02, 2019, 12:51 AM
Trader Rating: 129
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Thread OP
$125.00 USD
Seller Pays Shipping
For Sale

Laser Cut 'Lil Salty' Tugboat kits

With the kind permission of the designer 'JayJay76', i am cutting and selling laser cut kits of the 'Lil Salty' Tugboat. This is the 21" version. You can find the thread for it here, where you will also find the plans (a copy of which will be included). I have made a couple of small changes to it, in that I have made the walls of the cabin have tabs that fit into notches to make it easier to align and glue together. This is shown in the second photo. Unfortunately, my laser is just a little too short to cut to full length so I have done 'finger joints' which allows the pieces that are too long to be easy glued together, and once glued, sanded and finished will not be seen. I have also made the bottom of the hull out of 1/16" ply instead of 1/32" as the bow post was already notched for 1/16". I have also laser engraved the deck, so you do not have to do it with a scribe. I have also included a hatch in the rear for access to the rudder servo, which is not shown on the plans, but was discussed in the thread. Lastly, though not shown in the first photo, I am including an exhaust stack.

First photo is from JayJay76's thread.

The price includes Priority shipping in the conus..

Please PM for more info, and also my PayPal info.

Thanks for looking..

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Sep 04, 2019 at 03:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 02, 2019, 08:59 AM
Trader Rating: 28
RCTugger
Steve, This is great that you have taken the time/effort to produce this for the modeling community. I built one of these and have just loved it for the past several years and it finally just went on to another good home. I have started a 27" long version by just extending aft of the pilot house the sides, bottom, deck, 2 longitudinal frames and adding one more bulkhead. I started a build thread here but then got distracted by some emergency repairs to other guys boats but will get back to my "Salty II" here shortly.
Thanks again for all your efforts, its a great little tug and yes gets up on plane and goes like heck. It goes along slowly plowing water standing on its tail, then will jump out of the hole and will plane when I go full throttle . Power is a 3:1 geared Graupner 600, 2" 4 blade prop, 2S LIPO 3000.
PM order sent.
Last edited by rctugger; Sep 02, 2019 at 09:25 AM. Reason: additional info
Sep 02, 2019, 01:15 PM
Thread OP
PM answered, and thank you sir!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Sep 04, 2019, 07:18 PM
Thread OP
Ok... four kits sold.. who's next??

SteveT.
Sep 06, 2019, 09:04 PM
Trader Rating: 28
100% electric since 1990
As a boating novice, do you have any suggestions for some basic hardware- like a small motor/prop/esc/rudder combo?

I remember the hobby lobby catalogue used to have graupner setups with a brushed motor of various sizes
Sep 06, 2019, 09:39 PM
Thread OP
Delete some of your PMs..

From what I am seeing, a Mabuchi 555 size 12 volt motor is good.

Harbor Models has a good selection of model boat hardware.

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Sep 06, 2019 at 10:23 PM.
Sep 08, 2019, 01:28 AM
Thread OP
Since I am selling these kits, I thought I would build one for my grandson, So, this evening I started 'puttering' around with it while cutting some engraved oak coasters I make for a local store, and here it is. The top is not glued on and is just sitting there, as is the stack. I'll probably start on the hull tomorrow.

SteveT.

Quick Reply