Sep 01, 2019, 05:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Possible to own house and personal rc field/runway for 1.3M

Where could one live and have the least non flyable weather, own a small house AND have your own private RC runway for planes and supporting field area.
AND not SUPER HOT like Florida AND be on US soil. Got a 1-1.3M budget constraint.
I would greatly welcome any on topic comments.

Regards,

John
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2019, 06:13 PM
WBE
WBE
White Fang
Northern NV, they still have large parcels to do what you want. Considered it myself.
Sep 01, 2019, 06:38 PM
The high desert in Southern California along I-15 corridor.

Regards
Dennis
Sep 01, 2019, 07:13 PM
I know of some guys here in Texas in the plains areas that have a home and they can fly their planes out behind their home too. So yes you can do it. It isn't a problem to have 40 acres or more either.
Sep 01, 2019, 08:16 PM
Play that funky music right
I'm in north central Iowa. Live on 10 acres and have a small flying field I can use when I maintain it Yes cold in the winter but that gives you some build/repairing time. I'll sell you mine for 400K.

Ken
Sep 01, 2019, 09:27 PM
A man with a plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpower
Where could one live and have the least non flyable weather, own a small house AND have your own private RC runway for planes and supporting field area.
AND not SUPER HOT like Florida AND be on US soil. Got a 1-1.3M budget constraint.
I would greatly welcome any on topic comments.

Regards,

John
How do you feel about wind?
Sep 01, 2019, 11:29 PM
Not sure if that's possible in California on 1.3mill... anything coastal is expensive, anything in the valleys is hot, anything in the upper desert is windy, anything in the mountains is sometimes not favorable for a flying field.

I'm in San Joaquin Valley and it's pretty hot in summer(hovers around 100degrees for a few months off and on in summer) and sometimes cold in the winter(hovers around 40ish... a good day is maybe 55-60)... but no snow, very little ice (the ground doesn't freeze)... actually at least 6-8 months of great weather outside of that... we do fly almost year round here.

I might suggest Oregon... if you can take the growing political environment there, which doesn't seem to be going well. If you stay out of politics anywhere that's best. Western Oregon is stunning and beautiful... and it usually doesn't freeze, with a very rare snow in a few areas... very mild climate, alot of rain though.. but that's part of what makes it nice. I've spent a little time up there in last few years, and I'd consider Oregon if I ever decided to move. You could probably pick up a good parcel big enough for a private field for well under 1.3mill... and improve it to your liking...IE runway, pit area, club house, shop, etc.. You'd get more bang for the buck anywhere outside of Cali though I think.

High deserts of So Cal are way too windy for my liking. It blows constantly in every upper desert I've ever been through. I've been through much of the upper desert regions over the last 20yrs, All along that I-15(which really isn't high desert), up and down Hwy 395, I've used Hwy 247, Hwy 58 frequently as well..., It's hot and desolate too... at least what I've seen of it. Just wouldn't be favorable for me.

Even the valley where I live is questionable for me because it gets over 100 in the summer. I grew up on the coast so I was spoiled by great weather, but I can afford it here, on the coast no way... I'd pay 2 times what I paid for my current house if it was on the coast... so it's not cost effective for me just for the weather... but I don't have 1.3mill either... LOL
Sep 02, 2019, 01:01 AM
Go fly a jet today
I pick Texas for it.
Sep 02, 2019, 03:20 AM
Western NY
The best weather in the US.
4 distinct seasons—can’t beat it. It’s like flying in a whole new field each season.
This summer has been very mild.
Using floats for the snow is the best!
Seal skin finger gloves work wonders—I fly in 20 deg weather.
My mother-in-laws house is up for sale if interested hah.
Sep 02, 2019, 07:10 AM
North Florida near the coast isn't that hot and the weather in general is good for flying year-round. Have you checked model aircraft communities?
Sep 02, 2019, 07:28 AM
Our place is west of Ocala, and IMHO, Florida IS that hot (humid!!!), that's why I migrate to Michigan for the summers.

I had a place in northern lower Michigan that was out in the boonies. It was big enough to fly a C182 in and out of, on FAR less than your budget. It too had a downside. They average 150+" of snow per season!

I second the advice to look into small private airstrip communities. Like minded bunch of people that can share the cost/maintenance of a place like that. Neat way to go with assurance your neighbors won't be nagging you about noise.
Sep 02, 2019, 07:56 AM
AMA 537620
I lived in Buffalo for 3 years... there is better weather in other places. we’ve been drowning in rain in the Syracuse area so I don’t know if something special is happening to the west to call it mild. I’d just call it a wet summer.

I grew up in Humboldt county CA and have to say that was the best RC flying weather year round that I’ve seen. Doesn’t rain too much and typically stays between 50 and 70 degrees year round. Also not overpriced like most of the rest of the state... I’m sure you could buy enough land for a field and put a house on it for well under $1m, probably less than half... and if you want a complete change of climate just head east a couple hours.
Sep 02, 2019, 10:12 AM
Our friends in Cazenovia and Albany have been complaining about the heat and rain. Very mild.
No problems this summer.
There is a small airstrip that went up for sale in Angola NY. Wish I had a small chunk of change.
Sep 02, 2019, 12:26 PM
Thread OP

own private runway

Thanks to All that replied so far.
DGrant thanks so much for thakin the time. You are pretty much how I see it about Cali. But central CA if affordable may be an option. I am kinda sick of Cali BS though.
The high desert I-15 corridor is 98 degrees today. That is a miserable place. I have to go there to fly high power rockets.

Wind bad, snow undesirable, But . . .
Humid I would die a painful death.
Hot and Humid quick death.

I like the idea of small private airstrip communities. If so where ?
I wish I could buy you all a beer or something for taking the time.
This is a life long dream, not a troll or fantasy BS.
I failed at to many things in life, want to get this one correct as possible.

Regards,

John
Sep 02, 2019, 01:05 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpower
Thanks to All that replied so far.
DGrant thanks so much for thakin the time. You are pretty much how I see it about Cali. But central CA if affordable may be an option. I am kinda sick of Cali BS though.
The high desert I-15 corridor is 98 degrees today. That is a miserable place. I have to go there to fly high power rockets.

Wind bad, snow undesirable, But . . .
Humid I would die a painful death.
Hot and Humid quick death.

I like the idea of small private airstrip communities. If so where ?
I wish I could buy you all a beer or something for taking the time.
This is a life long dream, not a troll or fantasy BS.
I failed at to many things in life, want to get this one correct as possible.

Regards,

John
For 1.3M I think you will need to find a place that is fairly rural and no chance of future development. If the weather is nice for living the chances of future development is great. Your choice will also depends on what you intend to fly. If you plan to fly 30cc gasoline powered plane or larger 40 acres with any neighbors is not nearly enough. Noise will travel. If you fly electric only maybe 5 acres is enough.

I have always dream of my own flying field. However considering where I live (Hawaii) 1.3M is nowhere enough. Weather is mild over here but it rains a lot. If you look at the drying parts of the island the real property cost will be ridiculous. Also quite a lot of wind in various parts here so I will forget about Hawaii. I guess that's why our RC hobby community is so small here. The one thing that is nice is our RC club is so small it is practically my own private airfield. Yesterday we had 5 people that showed up including myself. Our club barely have 15 members. However I do need to travel 15 miles to get there.

The next thing you may want to consider besides a flying field potential and a resident for your budget. You have not expressed details regarding your budget and your life style. What kind of dwelling unit are you looking at? Do you plan to build a 4 bedroom, 2 story house or just a studio shed for one person? What about the flying field? Do you want to buy a turn key piece of pasture that is readily flyable or can you handle a forest with potential?

Once you procure the property you need infrastructure. A house in the middle of nowhere may not have the landing strip requirement you need. I have to assume you are thinking about a grass field. A concrete or asphalt runway will be totally cost prohibitive. Even a piece of pasture large enough for you to take off and land you need to maintain the field. That cost money and is very labor intensive. Those darn vegetation keeps on getting younger and growing while you are growing old. Pretty soon your nice dream of a nice flying field will be left to neglect because you may be lacking the physical ability to keep up.

If you are miles from nowhere how would you get power to keep up your amenities. Niceties like flipping a light switch and getting light instead of having to light an oil lamp. Solar and wind power maybe an answer but you need to think about how to maintain them. The costs will be beyond your initial budget. Just like buying a boat and have to sink money into the up keep of that black hole. A piece of property for a flying field can be worse.

What about sewer? For the locations you are looking at the initial cost may or may not include sewer line, cesspool, septic tanks for waste disposal. There will be local ordinances that regulate those issues. So you want to be far away from civilization as to not have any noise complaints but you still need to include in your budget regarding some of these life enhancements. Electricity, water, heat (assuming a winter while you need heating that is not electrically powered), communication. You may or may not be near a cell tower for cellphone or there may or may not have land line available nearby. For the phone company to get phone line to your isolated location may cost a lot. You may not need TV if you are into this hobby but you are on the computer and internet so you may want service from some cable company.

So yes I understand you are not trolling, you have some life savings and you definitely have a nice dream most of us like to live. However for your budget I really think you need to look carefully. I am not familiar with the property price in the middle of nowhere Iowa but property is property and I want you to think about the cost besides the property and your initial budget. You need an initial investment which can be small compare to the continue stream of income that is required to keep this dream of yours alive.

So back to how to achieve your fantasy/dream. A shared RC community is definitely high on the list. You do have to share with some like minded individuals/families. Depending on your personality and how well you interact with others you may or may not enjoy the sharing as much. However some of these communities have taken care of a lot of the questions above. The basic human needs. Your medical need if and when you get into an accident. How far is the hospital if you slice your arm and cut an artery.

So you may think $1.3M is a lot for you personally but in the grand scheme of things to achieve a private flying field that may well be a very small drop in the bucket.

Sorry I have to rain on your parade.

Quick Reply