Feb 24, 2005, 12:31 AM
Thread OP

Tough Engine Story

An old Magnum .25, full throttle in a dive from 50' hitting extremely hard packed ground. OHHH, the sound it made. The plane was easily in 500 pieces...servos exploded, fuel tank destroyed, prop only 3/4" long...you know what I mean. Anyway, that engine ran two days later like it was brand new without any new parts...just a complete teardown and cleaning, and I even had to solder the steel needle valve housing back together and straighten the needle which looked like the letter J
Last edited by flystoolow; Mar 01, 2005 at 12:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2005, 01:52 AM
The reviewer
I've got a Norvel 061 that was on a Littler Stick.

I had just dived from about 200 feet and pulled out level over a sealed tarmac runway when (for some strange reason) it did a snap roll straight into the black-stuff.

The plane was totally destroyed right back to the rear of the wing -- just confetti.

The prop was just a hub, the prop-mounting screw was bent real bad and the muffler was scraped -- but after replacing the prop bolt, it still runs sweet-as.

Not many engines survive and vertical smack into a real sealed runway -- it's a *lot* harder than even the hardest clay ground.

Quick Reply