Aug 31, 2019, 02:40 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

New Foam.

Hi All,

at the club yesterday and one of our members is Mr. Finest Composites (https://www.finestcomposite.de/) (Thomas) was there and had an Edge, 'bout 80 cm 'Shocky) lying on his case.

It attracted my attention because the finish was really sharp, bright colours with sharp edges so I picked it up for a closer look. Slightly heavier than expected and at first I thought that it was covered with some kind of film, not as smooth as Oracover but very impressive. Thomas went on to explain that it was a new sort of foam which is pretty much PP as in the stuff used on the current crop of hybrid models (Future models Edge 540 PP and HK Wargo MX2 for example) and I won't swear to it but I think he said that he was getting his stuff (foam) made for him which would not surprise me because he really is the perfectionist when it comes to his models.
He flew his model, and I was blown away, no flex whatsoever as the model is (IMHO), stiffer than a covered balsa model but at 1/2 - 2/3 the weight.

So why am I posting this (and this is not a plug for Finest Composite, although they deserve it)?????

He mentioned along the way that Graupner are marketing a very similar foam calling it 'Vector Board' and that they had it in a whole range of thicknesses. He says that it was great stuff, heavier than Depron or EPP but far stiffer and tougher than either. He is using 4mm of 'his foam' and only needs minimum carbon stiffeners for a really hard-core model and for sports flaying you could get away with none.

Anyway, here it is, don't know the availability across the pond but I know that the Graupner USA guys lurk around here so maybe one of them will comment or maybe one of you 'over there' could follow it up.....

https://www.graupner.com/Accessories...or-Boards/?p=1

Disclaimer :- 'Ain't tried it, never cooked it, had 3 beers, YMMV, please don't blame me if it's rubbish, only trying to help.

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2019, 05:25 AM
Thread OP
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh,

SORRY,

hate it when people start threads unnecessarily.

I will close this one shortly (after people have seen it) and ask everyone to go the the original if interested.

Paul

PS, thanks Jure.
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......

Quick Reply