Sep 11, 2019, 07:16 PM
Thread OP
The cowl and canopy definitely look like a U can Do, but I've not been able to find that there was ever a kit version of U can Do.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2019, 07:17 PM
That doesn't mean there wasn't one.

Andy
Sep 11, 2019, 07:21 PM
Nothing looks familiar to me. I'm near positive GreatPlanes never had a U-Can-Do 3D kit in production... but that's not saying much... it could have been a prototype of some sort, as Andy might have mentioned.

I'm now wondering what else UCD might represent. Get the GreatPlanes thought out of the head, and there just might be another UCD designation.

It's probably a safe bet, other then the UCD symbols... the parts numbers that start with "F" are most likely fuselage, and "W" is most likely wing... LOL... but yeah.. I'd just take your time in ID'ing it. It looks like a very decent laser cut job... and just might end up to be a nice plane if you can get a good ID and instructions. Hmm...
Sep 12, 2019, 02:43 PM
The u- can -do has a thicker wings.
Sep 12, 2019, 08:19 PM
Thread OP
It sure looks like the wing shape of a U can Do. Not sure about fuselage - but the cowl is nearly identical.
Sep 12, 2019, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel RC Design
The u- can -do has a thicker wings.
Prototypes are built so that the designers can try different things before making a final version that gets published, whether as plans or ARFs.

I'd expect multiple changes between this and the production item.

Andy
Sep 17, 2019, 10:20 AM
iFly SL
It is a 40" U-Can-Do EP that the R&D department worked on in 2005-2006.

It shares the same airfoil, features and equipment as the E-performance series Reactor EP ARF, Ege 540 EP ARF, Ultimate EP ARF,...It never came out to the market as a kit or an ARF but in Italy it was sold in pieces as part of a magazine collection. I think that it was called "Fly Mania". Unfortunately, to save costs that collection used a brushed motor and (if I recall correctly) NiMH instead of brushless and lipo.

There are no published plans or instructions other than this collection's magazines.

What you have is a sample which was probably in R&D or the PM's hands until it was deemed unnecessary, at which point the company simply auctioned it off to local modelers. Or maybe it was sold or thrown out when it went under. Can you post a picture of the "UCD" text on the box? Does it have a number?

It flew really, really well with a brushless setup, so I was particularly disappointed that the company decided not to commercialize it after all the work involved.

If I was you, I would build it and enjoy it. Use the manual from any of the e-performance series airplanes (on the web) to get basic setup info.

sportjet
Last edited by sportjet; Sep 17, 2019 at 01:12 PM.
Sep 17, 2019, 05:59 PM
Thread OP
Sportjet,

I think you're right! Attached picture confirms the name you mentioned.

If there's no plans or instructions available - any idea whether there are pictures of framework of any of those models? I can figure out some of the pieces, but some do not have an obvious position.

I may have to do a build thread here, and let other builders chime in when I get stuck where to put certain parts!

Thanks again.

Quick Reply