Aug 30, 2019, 05:40 PM
Thread OP
Question

U can Do kit (?)

I have a kit of what appears to be a U can Do - same cowling and canopy were included in the kit
Unfortunately, I don't have any instructions or plans for the kit.
I'd really like to build it, but 10 sheets of balsa parts is daunting without any instructions.

Anyone familiar with this kit? I'm trying to find a lead on plan or instructions so I can build it.

Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2019, 06:09 PM
Did you get in touch with the company? If it is a Sig kit you can probably buy them. Also try the outerzone.
Aug 30, 2019, 10:41 PM
Thread OP
Tried Great Planes - they didn't make the kit
No luck with Outerzone -- but looks like a great site!

Any other ideas???
Aug 31, 2019, 05:25 AM
A man with too many toys
Do you have a photo of what it looks like finished. Apparently there are many different variations.

Aug 31, 2019, 08:13 AM
Thread OP
No - the box is a blank cardboard box. Wood sheets have "UCD" imprinted on each of them. Given the look of the cowl and canopy - I'm thinking that it looks like the standard U can Do from Great Planes (but smaller scale for electric)
Aug 31, 2019, 10:07 AM
A want-to-buy ad in the classifieds would probably get you a set of plans/instructions.
Aug 31, 2019, 11:24 AM
B for Bruce
There seems to be a lot of pictures around on the web for the plane. If you start studying the parts sheets and stick wood I'll bet the pieces all fall into place pretty easily and will soon suggest where they go. It may not come out exactly right for wing taper or the like but I bet it ends up pretty close.

That's if you can't find someone to sell you some plans. Getting a set would obviously be a good option. But if you can't find a set all you'd really need is to treat it like a jigsaw puzzle and to find out what the span needs to be. And run a search for "great planes u can do" and then click on the images option. There's dozens of pictures of each of the different size versions that would aid you.
Sep 01, 2019, 05:41 PM
Thread OP
I think you’re probably right, I’ll just have to give it a shot without a plan. It’s such a nicely payed out and cut kit, I’ve been reluctant to screw it up or have it go to waste.

Was hoping for a somewhat easier option.

Thanks for the input guys.
Sep 02, 2019, 07:31 AM
Delete.
Sep 02, 2019, 03:47 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Rufus!
Sep 02, 2019, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Falcon
Tried Great Planes - they didn't make the kit
No luck with Outerzone -- but looks like a great site!

Any other ideas???
I would suggest rather then decide to tackle such a puzzle as this kit without plans, take good pictures of the whole kit... every parts sheet, most of the accessories(canopy, cowl, landing gear, etc..).. Spread the parts sheets out so we can see them... and make a thread called "Kit ID please"... Make the pics good so the shapes and even the sizing is identifiable.

Most of us that have built kits have a pretty good memory of major shapes and components. Even if we don't, we like to think we do.. LOL.. but I would guarantee someone's built this kit... and if they happen to run across your thread, and see the distinct shapes, someone will know.

One thing I do know is the Great Planes U-Can-Do 3D was never a kit. It was an ARF. Always.

So there's an idea for you... It does look somewhat familiar to me actually, but I'm not seeing either enough of it, or the right parts to make a good ID on it if I even knew what it was.. I'm also wondering if it was one of those chinese kits that Hobby Shack or Hobby King used to sell. Since there is no manual, no label, and no instructs... but I'd try the pic thing to try and shake the trees and jog a few memories. Good luck with it.
Sep 05, 2019, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
Good idea!

I'll take pictures of parts sheets and post here in next day or two.

Hope one of you can identify the kit!
Sep 11, 2019, 02:32 PM
Thread OP
OK - still need help identifying this kit:
Check out the pictures and let's see whether anyone recognizes the kit.

Thanks.
Sep 11, 2019, 03:03 PM
Is it a prototype kit from one of Hobbico's former employees?

Andy
Sep 11, 2019, 04:54 PM
You can do 3d? Cowl looks like it. I think Great planes made this kit. Do a Google search for plans, I bet you can find them

Quick Reply