Apr 03, 2020, 11:12 AM
Thread OP
Managed to get 3 runs today. Two, with 1800mah packs and rough water and one in flat water and a 1600mah battery that i managed to film. In the 3rd run she was pretty much tuned perfectly and it was my best run to date Sharp turns at wot! She Has to run a little wet tho, because with the battery at the most forward position it balances at 31%, which isnt enough to stop porpoising. Down angled tabs and stinger. Super Happy with it.

I also included a bonus slow-mo

Jan

DIY fibreglass rc speed boat (4 min 53 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2020, 02:04 PM
Looking good Jan, i bet you cant wait to get your new boat built & up & running. You have learnt a lot to pass on to the new boat.
Apr 03, 2020, 02:10 PM
Thread OP
Exactly. The plug preparation process is going very well so far. I got her mostly sanded with 260grit, tomorrow i will fully sand her with it and apply the next coat of filler

Did you get to the slow-mo part?
Apr 03, 2020, 05:48 PM
Yes i did see the slow-mo part.
Apr 05, 2020, 03:57 PM
Thread OP
Here i send the last video of this boat (unless i make a significant improvement to it). I wont bother filling more, since everything i wanted to show you was shown It was an awesome run! No water inside, great turning. It was again with the 1600mah 3s, but i had two 1800s before.

Our dog doesnt like it tho

I also changed the way the hatch works, i removed the bolts and made a simole secusing system for much, much easier taping.

I hope you enjoyed this build, i now consider her finished!

Than you for all the help

DIY fibreglass rc brushless speed boat (2 min 5 sec)
Apr 05, 2020, 04:13 PM
Thread OP
Boats have now become my favourite RC vehicle

Some cool floating pics:
May 17, 2020, 02:37 PM
Thread OP
I thought i would give your a little update, since i changed things Up by quite a bit

First the major changes:
1. I installed a flood chamber! As big as the layout allows, still not enough to flip her over by itself. A quick blip of throttle sometimes fixed that, and on choppy water it works 100%.
2. Installed a 2800kv 2845 outrunner trom my blue mania (retired) in order to make the self righting happen and i was able to use its coupler, too, so now the crappy vibrating one from Aliexpress isnt an issue anymore

I also sharpened the rudder and rounded it off on the bottom.

She is now really dialed in and runs better then ever, both on glass and rough 'seas'.

Video soon!

Jan
May 18, 2020, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
Today i had to go to the lake and back 3 times

First time the flex separated from the stub shaft (spinning inside of it). Went home, kinda tried to solder it together and went there again with rather low expectations. Broke again. At home i was able to completely separate, degrease and sand the two parts and when i flooded it with CA and put together everything worked well

Self righting now works every time and takes about 5 second!

Yeeees!

This boat has turned out to be a way bigger success then i have ever thought

Jan

Quick Reply