Aug 30, 2019, 07:36 AM
Thread OP
Contest

CANCELLED - ESL Mixed Launch End-of-Season - Daniel Boone Homestead - Oct. 12 & 13

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧-
CONTEST HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO FIELD USE CONFLICT
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

The Eastern Soaring League will be holding its End-of-Season contest at the Daniel Boone Homestead in Birdsboro, PA on October 12-13, 2019.

This is a traditional unlimited thermal duration contest for winch launched sailplanes. Flight task will be 10 minutes, landing tape is 100 inches with one point per inch.

NEW THIS YEAR - MIXED LAUNCH! Competitors are invited to bring their self-launching sailplanes and join the contest. Sailplanes with electric motors will be instructed to approximate a winch launch. That means climb directly towards the winch turn-arounds with altitude limiters set for 150 meter shutoff. Task time will start at motor shutoff. Motor restarts will result in zero flight score.

In order to have your contest results applied toward league standings you must fly exclusively winch, or exclusively electric planes. League score will be based solely on the percentage of the winning score (regardless of launch type).

Registration is open now, go to http://flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=318
Last edited by dbeach; Oct 06, 2019 at 04:19 PM. Reason: CONTEST CANCELLED
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2019, 09:24 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Great to see ESL trying the mixed launch format.
Very tempting to attend, but not likely for me unfortunately
Sep 01, 2019, 11:01 AM
Reading the 2016 rules for mixed launch, I assume electric planes will need to do a max climb rate climb and shut off somewhere close to the top of climb of the winch planes. Is this correct?

Dave R.
Sep 02, 2019, 06:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreisinger
Reading the 2016 rules for mixed launch, I assume electric planes will need to do a max climb rate climb and shut off somewhere close to the top of climb of the winch planes. Is this correct?

Dave R.
Yes - the idea is to approximate a winch launch in altitude and location.
Sep 03, 2019, 06:34 AM
Quote:

Dave R.
Where do you find mixed launch rules? Who do you think is in charge of keeping them?
Sep 03, 2019, 10:54 AM
Hi Kerry,

I was referencing the rules you published for the July 2016 contest. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6-Mixed-Launch

Dave R.
Sep 03, 2019, 01:50 PM
Thanks Dave, I was just wondering if there was something more official than LOCAL rules. I'd forgotten about that post!
See Ya,
KC
Sep 03, 2019, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4fun
Thanks Dave, I was just wondering if there was something more official than LOCAL rules. I'd forgotten about that post!
See Ya,
KC
I had also. My only recommendation is to only 'award' one zero for a motor restart.

David
Sep 03, 2019, 02:51 PM
David you are in charge, I have no problem with one zero.
Oct 01, 2019, 10:44 AM
Less than 2 weeks. Looking forward to flying this format!!

Dave R.
Oct 06, 2019, 03:42 PM
This contest has been cancelled, correct?
Oct 06, 2019, 04:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
This contest has been cancelled, correct?
Unfortunately, Yes - CONTEST HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

A scheduling conflict came up with the 薦xeter Township Fall Festival which prevented field use on Saturday.

David

Quick Reply