Nov 14, 2019, 04:34 PM
Dahos...
I have more info. The ESC I'm using is a cheap HobbyWing ESC. The docs for it say it has a feature that disables the motor if there is no throttle signal to it for 2 seconds or more. I believe the Kopilot takes several seconds to initialize. So, the esc shuts the motor off during Kopilot initialization.
I found a thread about this same problem with an Omnibus F4 Pro and a HobbyWing ESC. Link here if you want to read the full text around January 16:

https://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/esc-...s-f4-pro/37388

The solution was simple. Cut the ESC signal wire, power up the plane, and after the Kopilot initializes, reconnect the signal wire. If it works here, I'll add a small switch in the signal wire. That's going to be a whole lot easier than replacing the ESC. To do that, I will basically need to take a chainsaw and saw the nose off the plane to get to it. I may try cutting the signal wire tomorrow, and let you know what happens.

Thanks for listening to my rant...

Ed
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2019, 08:07 PM
I finally had my way with this. I put a switch in the esc signal line, and flip it on after the Kopilot has initialized. Works like a charm. Of course, the right way to do this would be to change out the esc to one that works with the Kopilot, but that's nearly impossible on this plane.

Ed
Nov 15, 2019, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4353
I finally had my way with this. I put a switch in the esc signal line, and flip it on after the Kopilot has initialized. Works like a charm. Of course, the right way to do this would be to change out the esc to one that works with the Kopilot, but that's nearly impossible on this plane.

Ed
Great to hear it is working. I like the autolaunch/rth feature I have seen in reviews. You are making me want to give it another shot. Now I need to decide on another plane to put it in. A kit so I choose the esc this time.
Nov 18, 2019, 02:02 AM
Firepower
I also have been having problems getting the motor going on a XM+ but now it is working. I had it working with PWM on a D8R-2 Plus but it is too big for the ZOHD Orbit. I have ordered a FrSky R-XSR as I think that will do me for FPV flying.

While waiting for that RX I tried the XM+ and the motor would not work. So I thought I would adjust the throttle range on the D8R-2 Plus to see what that did. That is full throttle plug in the RX wait for the two beeps then pull the throttle all the way down. When doing that I accidently had the XM+ plugged into the Kopilot. The XM+ was not bound when I did the throttle calibration so I'd say the XM+ did nothing to fixing it.

Anyway after that the motor is working on the XM+. Maybe just calibrating the throttle range on the D8R-2 Plus did the trick. But for the motor to start I have to wait for five beeps of the motor after the controls start working. Maybe I did not wait the five beeps before and it was working all the time but I do not think so. I am sure I waited a long time when it was not working.

Anyway worth calibrating the throttle range on another RX. Not sure if that is the answer to getting SBus RX working.
Last edited by Firepower; Nov 18, 2019 at 09:03 AM.
Nov 18, 2019, 06:17 AM
Are you trying to spin up the motor in manual mode? It should. RTH/Fence mode and (I think) stabilized mode all require a good GPS fix before the motor spins up. This can take anywhere from a couple minutes to a very long time, depending on GPS signal.

Ed
Nov 19, 2019, 10:34 AM
Firepower
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4353
Are you trying to spin up the motor in manual mode? It should. RTH/Fence mode and (I think) stabilized mode all require a good GPS fix before the motor spins up. This can take anywhere from a couple minutes to a very long time, depending on GPS signal.

Ed
I was trying to spin up the motor in manual mode and I eventually got it to work.

Thanks for the additional information e.g. RTH/Fence mode etc. That is my next step to get my head around all that information and I have to study the instructions a lot. I'll also check out the youtube videos and guess I'll have more questions.

Thanks for the reply.

Col
Nov 20, 2019, 01:24 PM
hi is this a real autopilot? so it compensates lateral wind on landing_?for example?
Nov 20, 2019, 10:36 PM
Firepower
Someone with experience with flying this can comment further. I have other auto-pilots and the stabilized one that comes with the standard ZOHD and they all compensate for lateral wind on landing and when flying etc etc.

Calling it a real auto-pilot may be a bit much

For me flying FPV the Return to Home is all I need in case I go out of range of the Taranis but my mate would not lower himself to using the KoPilot and will use INAV in his wing soon. That is more like a real auto-pilot. On my other two basic auto-pilots I have which are similar to the KoPilot I have added a second GPS set up to get the telemetry on the screen. e.g. which way home, height, speed, GPS location etc etc.

So it depends how much effort you want to put in to setting it up and I still have a way to go to understanding all of KoPilot. At least I have all the controls going now including the switch.
Nov 21, 2019, 01:28 AM
Have a great museum day! TB54L
What do you use as a second GPS setup?- I also would like to see my way home and the GPS location on the OSD screen
Nov 21, 2019, 02:24 AM
Firepower
In my Bixler 2 I use https://hobbyking.com/en_us/mini-osd...ps-module.html

And on my SkyWalker X5 flying wing I have Fyetech AP117 This one is sold out most places not worth looking at any more. The case os it is quite big anyway.

Not sure if there are better ones to the HK one these days as I installed them a long time ago.

I might check the HK one out for the ZOHD Orbit if all goes well unless anyone mentions a better one. I think the HK one is simple and that is why I liked it.

HobbyKing Mini OSD Setup Guide (8 min 41 sec)

This is a photo of my HK OSD. Looks like no RTH arrow but I did see on youtube where you can flash the firmware for the RTH arrow. The AP117 was a better OSD for info on the screen.
Last edited by Firepower; Nov 21, 2019 at 03:07 AM.
Nov 21, 2019, 02:48 AM
In my Orbit I use a Matek FC with Inav as a standalone OSD because I like the original ZOHD stabilizer and didn't want to dispose it. Problem with INav is, that it needs a valid RX-TX connection to be able to set a home-point, so you have to bind 2 TXs to one modelfile or start one modelfile with the INav TX and then switch to the other one - too complicated. Will try the aeromax osd next (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3#post41546227)
Nov 24, 2019, 06:13 AM
@Ralf: "I think this doesn't matter - the fence is a radius around the home point. If the plane hits the fence (and is more then 35m high) it will return and circle about the home point."

Do you think so or is it tested?
A statement would be helpful.
Peter
Nov 24, 2019, 07:06 AM
Haven't had time to test the KoPilot other then on the bench. This information was only from what I got from the 'so-called' manual. Hopefully I will have time to test outside next week. There are other people here with more experience and testing on the Kopilot, maybe they will chime in.
Nov 24, 2019, 10:54 AM
Really unexpected I had a chance for two short maidens of my Dart250 and the NT Evo, both with KoPilot. No chance to test RTH and Fence-mode yet, only manual and stabilized. For my style of flying (and my poor piloting skills) I had to dial in a lot of D/R and Expo with both planes in manual mode, expecially on the ailerons. When I switched from manual to stabilized then, I noticed that reactions on elevator and ailerons where really poor, with big, big circles to turn the plane around (with D/R values from the manual mode).
Is this typical for the KoPilot?
Do I have to change my rates to maxmimum when using stabilized mode? I noticed the same behavior with my Bigaole stabilizer, but never with those of my planes, which rely on spectrum SAFE receivers....

Unfortunately I was not able to do a KoPilot neutral calibration with both of my Kopilots out there on the field, Radio calibration was nevertheless successfull. Is the manual correct for the description of the Kopilot's neutral calibration or did I miss something?
Nov 24, 2019, 04:30 PM
aka KF7DS

Throws/Dual Rates/Expo

Since I wanted the RTH feature as i move my fixed wing fpv to my first wing, I replaced the stock stabilizer in my Orbit Neon with a Kopilot Lite.

Quick question...do I set up any throws, dual rates and expo in the Kopilot Lite's Stabilized mode, or is this done by the FC through adjusting the gains?

I assume that I would have to set up these items in Manual mode....

Thanks in advance.

Don

Quick Reply