Jan 19, 2020, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Petro
Now we are getting somewhere......the 3 position switch is set up for UP @ stabilize; MID @ manual; RTH @ DN with the same values you show. If the ground test works OK, then I will change to the same arrangement and values like you changed to.
I have found the whole mix of different arrangements and names for the stabilize and manual. Which position should be used for the test?
Jim
My maiden launch was in manual mode, low rates at 70% with 25% expo. I added a couple clicks of up before launch just to be safe. It was still pretty touchy and needed a click or two of aileron trim and back to center on the elevator.

In stability mode it needs high rates to make a decent turn.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2020, 10:00 AM
Firepower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missiletm
It has control over the throttle in RTH (auto launch). The throttle will not activate until it detects fwd movement of 4 meters per second.

To test it, switch to RTH, throttle up over halfway, nothing should happen other than the elevator should deflect up into a climb.
Now, swing the plane in your hand quickly without letting go and the motor should briefly power on.
If it doesn’t then sure your throttle cut is disabled.

I do this test every time before I auto launch.

Thanks for confirming the RTH does the throttle.

Earlier on I spun around in RTH and the motor started but have not gotten back to RTH as still working out Stabilizede and Acro. Stabilized should be right now and just hoping next time it does not go vertical when I flip to Acro.

You may have seen I mentioned I tried RTH initially and it went up and immediately turned around and disappeared over a creek and mangroves. I was not quick enough to turn off RTH but I see on youtube some leave RTH on after launch and it just circles around. Anyway after a while it came straight back and I landed it. When it was in the distance I turned off the Taranis and turned it back on. Not sure if RTH worked or it was Fail Safe I set that brought it back.

So will get back to RTH when the other two switch positions are perfect.

Col
Jan 19, 2020, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower
Yeah mine is an Orbit wing so my elevons just go to Elevator and Aileron on the KoPilot.
Ah, I was not clear. My TwinStar was set up to be silly. With 4 or 5 times more power. The 2 motors are mixed with the rudder, so that left rudder kills the right motor and vice versa. It makes for some silly spins. The escs are BlHeli and should be capable of full reverse, giving even dafter things (stall turns are really good). I deleted all that to test this.
Jan 19, 2020, 01:14 PM
Great Southern Land
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower
BERKIE

You mentioned. "I presume the Kopilot will apply throttle when in RTH?"

I have not sorted mine out fully yet but I do not think that is correct.

Maybe someone can comment.

Col
Col, Post 171 seems to confirm the thr does work in RTH.

This thing is brilliant for the price eh?
Jan 19, 2020, 05:36 PM
I believe Kopilot is kaput.
The original testing in the basement shop without the GPS had the elevons working perfect in both stabilize and manual. Motor would not run. With help here, the final tinkering was ready to test with the GPS.
There is excellent GPS working next to the upstairs picture window. Got quick solid LEDs for the GPS and elevon settings. However, within a few minutes both would start blinking and the go solid....etc. Motor would work with half aileron at times. No motor with throttle. Elevons worked in stabilize but not proportionally movement. Elevons were chattering. No difference when I used the three different mode positions.
Finally, I removed the wires from the plastic plug and carefully inserted the single wires in all the different combinations . Nothing changed. No throttle and constant elevon chattering.
Tried 2s and 3s batteries and no change. Adjusted the pots and no improvement.
I'm out of ideas and patience.
Jim
Jan 19, 2020, 07:41 PM
Firepower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie
Col, Post 171 seems to confirm the thr does work in RTH.

This thing is brilliant for the price eh?
Thanks great about the throttle being controlled with RTH.

My next flight will tell if it is brilliant as you say but looking very promising.

But looks like people have more problems with this than the two Turnigy T1000FC Autopilots I have which is very close to the Kopilot. Pity they do not make them any more as were extremely easy to set up.
Jan 19, 2020, 07:46 PM
Firepower
Quote:
I believe Kopilot is kaput.
The original testing in the basement shop without the GPS had the elevons working perfect in both stabilize and manual. Motor would not run. With help here, the final tinkering was ready to test with the GPS.
There is excellent GPS working next to the upstairs picture window. Got quick solid LEDs for the GPS and elevon settings. However, within a few minutes both would start blinking and the go solid....etc. Motor would work with half aileron at times. No motor with throttle. Elevons worked in stabilize but not proportionally movement. Elevons were chattering. No difference when I used the three different mode positions.
Finally, I removed the wires from the plastic plug and carefully inserted the single wires in all the different combinations . Nothing changed. No throttle and constant elevon chattering.
Tried 2s and 3s batteries and no change. Adjusted the pots and no improvement.
I'm out of ideas and patience.
Jim
Hi Jim

From what you say it appears that you need some advice on it all.

It is hard to get your head around everything when new to it but unfortunately I have to go out now. If someone has not helped by tonight I comment on each of your problems.

What plane is it in and what is your ESC?

Col
Jan 20, 2020, 01:07 AM
This is...was... the Banggood ZOHD Dart 250G FPV .
Spent this evening in the shop first trying to replicate the non GPS set up where the elevons worked but not the motor. Can't do it. Elevons always moving and no proportional control. The LEDs come on solid for Elevon but shortly begin blinking.
Then I pulled out the Kopilot and used the Spectrum Rx connected to the Dart in standard elevon mode. Elevons and motor work perfectly.
This will make a nice FPV flying wing, but I wanted to try a RTH which I have never had on my simple FPV planes.
My first question is why do the 3 LED s lock onto the GPS and mode quickly but in a minute start blinking? 2nd, the Tx screen shows the sticks are working perfectly but the elevons only jump to their limits.
The included FPV camera and VTx were probably the worst I ever had. I use a scanner to set my frequency but this VTx kept sending random ones. After the VTx burnt out, then I discovered that the only way to know the power level setting was to see the OSD.
In my stash, I found a NIB GPS stabilizer similar to the Kopilot. As I read the instructions , the reason it wasn't used is that the RTH only controls the rudder......which the Dart doesn't have.
I matched AETR with the Tx.....Spectrum Rx ......and Kopilot. Either the Kopilot is bad or I am missing something simple.
Jan 20, 2020, 02:23 AM
Firepower
It is not night here yet but just something quick.

Do you get these with the three position switchs inside with no gps lock. (same with GPS lock)

- Stabilized two solid green
- Acro both leds out
- RTH two blinking green

Next thing centrer the trims on the TX and everything at 100% or -100%. Next adjust the push rod so the elevons are level. Are the arms on the servo perfectly centred? This may be all good with yours now.

Outside with GPS lock with the LED solid red and in RTH mode can you pretend to throw it so it gives the wing some acceleration or even spin around fast holding the wing. (hang on to the body and not just the wing or you'll do what I did. Stand there just with a wing in your hand) Have the throttle nearly full on when doing that. I forget if that is required. The motor should start a bit. Does it start?

You say "My first question is why do the 3 LED s lock onto the GPS and mode quickly but in a minute start blinking? 2nd, the Tx screen shows the sticks are working perfectly but the elevons only jump to their limits."

So you are fully outside with lots of sky and not trees in close and I walk away from it while it is getting GPS lock. When locked the red LED should not go off if outside. That is a problem if it is doing that.

Inside without GPS lock the motor will work in Acro but not in Stabilized. Hmmm Spectrum Rx. I was lucky I hung around blokes that could fly quads great so I got a Taranis also. I moved from two Futaba 9Cs to the Taranis and never had any problems with any of it so I do not know anything about Spektrum. Maybe check the receiver voltage with it all turned on.

So you would have a crappy ESC as in my Orbit with a 1amp BEC which may not be too good but it is working in mine after taking out the standard stabilizer and putting in the KoPilot.

Apparently you need to change the FPV gear as you say it is not too good. Some good camera installations on youtube for your wing.

Something to start with.

Col
Last edited by Firepower; Jan 20, 2020 at 02:29 AM.
Jan 20, 2020, 03:59 AM
For Jim Petro and other frustrated users PLEASE watch this video.
ZOHD Kopilot Lite: Easy stabilisation and RTH for fixed wing (15 min 19 sec)

At 5:10 he says you HAVE to wait for a solid GPS lock. Well for me, that only worked outside. As I said earlier it took over 1 hour to lock and I really did think it was bust. Whilst waiting for the lock I watched the video again. Then I watched all the others I could find.
I had a note pad and as I watched, I made notes on points that I thought relevant.
Just a few points :- You Must have GPS lock. You MUST have a “clean” install – NO MIXES.
In the video he made it look so easy – I found it really hard, which made me feel I was wrong or it was faulty.
No GPS indoors and freezing cold outside. Luckily I have a conservatory on the south side of the house (with no heating) but, covered in duck down it was bearable. (I know it's summer down under)
It is NO GOOD doing half of the job – everything HAS to be working.

What would be really good would be a spokesperson from the manufacturer who really knows about it ? ? ?
Jan 20, 2020, 04:38 AM
Firepower
I watched that video stacks of times when setting it up earlier and all other videos. Painless360 has stacks of great videos.

One thing that maybe some do not realise when doing the calibration with the TX sticks. You have to hold them down and towards the centre while the leds are blinking and quickly let them go when the LEDs turn solid. If you are not quick at letting the sticks go it will start calibration again.

May be obvious but was not to me earlier on.

Col
Jan 20, 2020, 12:18 PM
I could not bring myself to put this in a £2000 glider and so it was put in an old Multiplex TwinStar to test.
I have now done 5 test flights to see how it all works.
I had the 3 position switch on my Mpx Profi called “gear.” I called it Gyro and the Tx decided it wanted to program a Mpx WingStabi (£200+) which could not work.
You are meant to have no mixes, but for normal flight it does need 50% throw reduction. In stabilised flight it needs more movement, to fight the gyro. The answer was to use the 3 position Flight Mode switch to also give the 3 positions for the gyro. This works really well because I now have 80% movement for stabilised flight. It now also tells me which gyro mode I am flying in.
The last flight today was starting to be quite good.
It is now clear that rudder is straight through ….... There are only 2 channels with gyro working on them.
The RTH works well – go a long way away, even well below yourself and switch it in. It goes to high throttle and comes straight back. There was bright sun directly behind me, so I did NOT want to explore it too much. It does not seem to want to circle, but rather a left, then right, then left, then right – but more or less over my head.
Jan 20, 2020, 05:16 PM

"The RTH works well"

" It does not seem to want to circle, but rather a left, then right, then left, then right – but more or less over my head."
Impressive!
Jan 20, 2020, 08:03 PM
Wow ! thanks for all the comments and detailed suggestions
I will check these out and try to see in the brain fog from the hours of working on the Kopilot. After trying every combination of Tx, Rx and Kopilot settings, there is doubt in my mind that Kopilot will work with Spectrum TAER5 conversions to AETR5. I may test the Dart in the huge dome on Thursday with just the simple elevon without flight control.
I considered the alternative of buying a radio with normal AETR but Banggood really doesn't describe which radios are set up like that. However, the next option was to look at other flight controls. I bought the NB One because it includes several jumper cables to connect matching NAMES of channels for the Rx and flight control. $31. It says it has manual, flight control, altitude hold and GPS return. My back-up plan.
That is a great idea for ZOHD to sign into this discussion and straighten out our problems.
Jim
Jan 21, 2020, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Wow ! thanks for all the comments and detailed suggestions
I will check these out and try to see in the brain fog from the hours of working on the Kopilot. After trying every combination of Tx, Rx and Kopilot settings, there is doubt in my mind that Kopilot will work with Spectrum TAER5 conversions to AETR5. I may test the Dart in the huge dome on Thursday with just the simple elevon without flight control.
I considered the alternative of buying a radio with normal AETR but Banggood really doesn't describe which radios are set up like that. However, the next option was to look at other flight controls. I bought the NB One because it includes several jumper cables to connect matching NAMES of channels for the Rx and flight control. $31. It says it has manual, flight control, altitude hold and GPS return. My back-up plan.
That is a great idea for ZOHD to sign into this discussion and straighten out our problems.
Jim
It works fine with Spectrum radios, you just need to set up your transmitter properly.

I used a cheap Lemonrx 7 channel receiver and the pwm cable plugged into the first 4 channel signal wires and the mode connector plugged into channel 5. On my radio (Spektrum Dx7 gen2) I then went into setup and channel assigned AETR:
1. Throttle: Aileron
2. Aileron: Elevator
3. Elevator: Throttle
4. Rudder: Rudder

If you have a clone of a Spektrum radio, like a Hobbyking Orange or similar, you should be able to do the same. Or if you cannot channel map then remove the pins on the pwm connector and reinsert in the correct order, but don’t do both, i.e. remap channels and change pins on your connector.
Last edited by Missiletm; Jan 21, 2020 at 01:08 AM.

Quick Reply