Aug 29, 2019, 09:29 PM
Rough Landing
Thread OP
Discussion

Willy Nillies' Super Simple Series - Barnstormer

Broke open the Barnstormer package and got started. I am building the low wing version with zero degree dihederal.

Shown first is the wing. Wing servos are Emax 9051's. I have a bunch of these laying around that are brand new. The cut-out in the wing rib needed a very light sanding to get them in. This wing is such a breeze to put together! It takes longer to punch out the parts than it does to build it. The build is best described as a jigsaw puzzle that is self aligning. Fit everything together and apply thin super glue. I double checked with a square before gluing and everything was aligned and true. This is a great design! The wing is ready for sanding, ailerons, and wingtips.

Second picture is of the fuselage. It goes together as easy as the wing and is also self aligning. Just to be sure, I checked to make sure everything was square and aligned before gluing. It was perfectly aligned! The fuselage needs to have the motor mount added, some front decking, and the top hatch.

I thought I had some Racestar 1806 motors in my stash, but only had DYS 1806's. Comparing stats from the two, the DYS has a lower max current rating of 7.6A. I will wait for some Racestar 1806's before finishing the fuselage. I ordered some Racestar 1806's over two weeks ago from Bangood and have not received them yet. Will get a few coming from Willy Nillies tonight.
Last edited by rainyday101; Aug 29, 2019 at 10:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2019, 10:33 PM
Looks Good! This is the kit that started all this!

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
Aug 29, 2019, 10:44 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Lookin’ good!
Aug 30, 2019, 03:19 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Made a bit more progress on my Barnstormer. Next up...sanding!
Aug 30, 2019, 03:44 PM
that one looks great for the ole underhand launch.. I like it.
Aug 30, 2019, 03:47 PM
Rough Landing
Thread OP
Do you have dihederal in the wing? What motor are using on this, 1/2A or electric?

I had put my servo horns on the top of the wing because she is going to be a belly lander.

Looks good!

Gotta love how easy these kits are to build!

Down to basement I go, so I can get caught up with your speed demon building!
Aug 30, 2019, 04:29 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday101
Do you have dihederal in the wing? What motor are using on this, 1/2A or electric?

I had put my servo horns on the top of the wing because she is going to be a belly lander.

Looks good!

Gotta love how easy these kits are to build!

Down to basement I go, so I can get caught up with your speed demon building!
Thanks rainy!

Yes, I went with dihedral for better slow speed stability and will install landing gear. Engine choice will be either a Cox .020 TD with throttle sleeve or a Cox .049 Sure Start with throttle. If I install the .049, Iíll move the firewall back 1/2Ē to 3/4Ē back to compensate for engine and fuel tank weight.
Aug 30, 2019, 07:13 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Getting some on the Barnstormer.
Aug 30, 2019, 08:39 PM
Rough Landing
Thread OP
I like the transparent covering, but I am always worried my work isn't good enough for transparent.

My wing is sanded. I am beveling ailerons then covering the wing. My color scheme is the traditional stick type covering with the main color as yellow with white wing stripes and iron crosses.

What do you use for the iron crosses? Do you use black covering or Monokote trim sheets?
Aug 30, 2019, 09:13 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
I like the transparent covering, but I am always worried my work isn't good enough for transparent.

My wing is sanded. I am beveling ailerons then covering the wing. My color scheme is the traditional stick type covering with the main color as yellow with white wing stripes and iron crosses.

What do you use for the iron crosses? Do you use black covering or Monokote trim sheets?
Usually black covering, if I canít find them on an existing decal trim sheet.
Aug 30, 2019, 11:32 PM
Rough Landing
Thread OP
Xplane, do you cover your wing and then do monokote hinges on the ailerons or do you hinge the aileron first and then cover the wing?

I just put the hinge on one aileron first before covering the wing and am starting to think this not the way to go. There is no place to tack the wing covering down at the trailing edge with the aileron on, or very little.

I have done monokote hinges in the past, but always had blalsa sheeting on the trailing edge. I am stumped as how to do this.
Last edited by rainyday101; Aug 30, 2019 at 11:44 PM.
Aug 31, 2019, 10:24 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Xplane, do you cover your wing and then do monokote hinges on the ailerons or do you hinge the aileron first and then cover the wing?

I just put the hinge on one aileron first before covering the wing and am starting to think this not the way to go. There is no place to tack the wing covering down at the trailing edge with the aileron on, or very little.

I have done monokote hinges in the past, but always had blalsa sheeting on the trailing edge. I am stumped as how to do this.
I cover the bottom of the wing first, just ironing down the edges. I leave additional covering for the ailerons. Honestly, Iím not a fan of covering hinges, as they lift over time. I plan to use thin strips of CA hinges on this model.
Aug 31, 2019, 02:08 PM
Rough Landing
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy
I cover the bottom of the wing first, just ironing down the edges. I leave additional covering for the ailerons. Honestly, I’m not a fan of covering hinges, as they lift over time. I plan to use thin strips of CA hinges on this model.
Thanks, I amgoing to do the same.
Aug 31, 2019, 04:24 PM
EB-66C Team Member
More progress!

Doug - Do you recognize the scheme? I do like WWII training schemes.
Aug 31, 2019, 06:24 PM
Rough Landing
Thread OP
Hey Xplaneguy, I am going to use monofilament fishing line hinges. Drill a small hole, stick the mono in and glue.

Quick Reply