Oct 18, 2019, 10:46 AM
Right! It is too weird!

45 years back, every kid was excited by RC in Germany! But only a few could afford a model (mostly toy cars)! A handful was able, if dad's have been into it too to get hobby grade models!

Nowadays, almost everyone has something radio controled at home! But, like in my case, try it, and then leaving. I have sold everything after 8 years playing around. Not the right hobby for me. But the nuclear familiy is growing, I am pretty sure!

EDIT: What may extinct are the expensive brands I guess they will disapear mor and nore! Chinese manufacturers are way cheaper, delivering almost same quality! In my opinion, this is a good development, because I think RC, no matter if branded from USA or Germany, or the "cheap" Asian stuff is overpriced!

For explanation, My 20 years old "Bauknecht" washing machine is running since exactly 20 years without a single maintenance or repair! Around 250$. Try the same with "Whirlpool"!
Last edited by SilbernerSurfer; Oct 18, 2019 at 11:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2019, 10:53 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyUs
25 years ago, I had to stare at Tamiya, AYK, and Marui RCs in department store. Before internet, and RCCA mag, I had to bypass the middle man through mail order ads in a predominantly air RC mags.

Mail order? That's funny. Right up there with 8-track players .

The words "extinct", and "radio control" used together is too weird.
Regret i didn't get the Marui back in the 80's since we're poor, now its a valuable relic especially their SAMURAI and NINJA buggies!
Oct 21, 2019, 08:29 AM
My Marui Big Bear is a treasure:

Oct 24, 2019, 10:25 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
My Marui Big Bear is a treasure:

That's a huge win! The aesthetic value on Big Bear is priceless. Amazing you manage to keep it looks like new out of the box even after many decades!
Oct 26, 2019, 09:22 AM
TRUMP 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey_96
I actually think you'll see the RC car hobby grow over the next few years. I expect you'll see more and more guys who were into RC aircraft (drones, planes, helis) switch to ground stuff as more FAA regulations and such are put in place.

I recently completely got out of RC airplanes and am strictly running ground stuff now... not because of FAA/AMA stuff but more because I can pull my Arrma Senton or Losi SBR out anytime I want to run it... not weather dependent on calm, sunny days... the side benefit is that I don't have to mess around with AMA/FAA registration and fees anymore and the spaces I have to run my cars v/s fly my planes are a lot more plentiful.

My kids are getting into the hobby and I've started letting them run my WL Toys buggy when I run my faster/bigger stuff. I very much see them asking for bigger and better RC stuff as they get older.
Keep an eye on the FAA/AMA debacle, the outcome of that will spill over onto ground based rc, , the FCC may start up that licensing (tax) requirement again.
Nov 25, 2019, 06:02 AM
in the 1950's, the usa waas doing tests of course, they flew full size fighter planes over the top of nuclear explosions to study the damage, the interesting part is they flew fpv.
Dec 14, 2019, 09:46 AM
It's been growing by leaps and bounds ever since:
https://www.engadget.com/2014/01/19/...-control-boat/
Quite a bit in the last several decades, tremendous technology in RC currently.
Aside from kids toys, to teen and adult hobby, RC holds interest across a wide audience.
Jan 20, 2020, 04:22 AM
Car Bashing
As i said on an other forum, if a brand like TRX is able to put a 1/10 truck at expensive price on the market, i think it is because they believe there will be a futur for this hobby. Same for Arrma with all the new cars they put on the market the last year. Even the chinese don't stop to put new cars on the market.

There is more and more "old" guys who buy toys nowadays, it is something new, there was never that much guys who bought toys before.

Also youtube, with all the enthousiasts, promot this hobby, just watch all the channels and subscribers arround this hobby.
Jan 21, 2020, 08:32 AM
Totally planned it that way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jym73
As i said on an other forum, if a brand like TRX is able to put a 1/10 truck at expensive price on the market, i think it is because they believe there will be a futur for this hobby. Same for Arrma with all the new cars they put on the market the last year. Even the chinese don't stop to put new cars on the market.

There is more and more "old" guys who buy toys nowadays, it is something new, there was never that much guys who bought toys before.

Also youtube, with all the enthousiasts, promot this hobby, just watch all the channels and subscribers arround this hobby.
I totally agree with this- YT vids now allow us to not only shop, but get honest reviews of products... which makes it easier to sink money into an investment like a higher end RC car or plane. You see it operate, you hear what all needs to be done to make it "better"...etc.

It also goes back to those of us who always wanted to get a nice, hobby grade RC car when we were young but didn't have the finances... as we get older it becomes easier for us to invest in the "toys" we couldn't afford when we were younger.

The fact that not only are we seeing new releases, but the price is increasing more and more... meaning there is a market for them. I think, as mentioned above, you'll see a large increase in ground/water RC stuff as guys leave the RC air stuff over all the regulations being put into place. I'm very glad I left RC planes a year ago... Not only do I not have to worry about the weather when I take my "toys" out, but I also don't have to worry about government over-regulation and money grabbing.
Jan 22, 2020, 09:24 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Since 2004, Google shows that the keyword search including "radio control" has been on a steady decline:

Jan 22, 2020, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_delong
Since 2004, Google shows that the keyword search including "radio control" has been on a steady decline:

Did you try it with RC instead of remote control? Or maybe specific brand names? I think as branding gets more popular, people search out specific brand names rather than generic searches... I bet Traxxas would show an uptick...
Jan 22, 2020, 02:21 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Not sure if there is a direct correlation with brand names but I'll bite... to me the bigger question: "how is the industry doing", not a given brand, but honestly the performance of the current top 3 brands seems rather flat to me, they don't really provide any way to overlap the results to where we can see the actual metrics relative to each brand, perhaps that might help us understand a little more, but I feel that looking at just a few brands doesn't really give us the overall picture of the industry, especially when brands come and go, who's to say that they're just not trading market share between brands? For example, HPI was beating Traxxas then Traxxas sued HPI, now Traxxas has taken away market share from HPI, ironically Traxxas peaked at the time they sued HPI and HPI never recovered after the lawsuit.

Traxxas hasn't sued RedCat (yet) and they seem to be doing okay, but just not seeing how this correlates to the industry as a whole, but it does seem logical that both RedCat and Traxxas took away market share from HPI.
Last edited by bill_delong; Jan 22, 2020 at 02:31 PM.
Jan 23, 2020, 01:50 AM
Car Bashing
Interesting.

Here are the comparison with some well know brands :

Web search :
Name: brands google.JPG
Views: 7
Size: 70.4 KB
Description:

Youtube search :
Name: brands youtube.JPG
Views: 4
Size: 66.3 KB
Description:

Youtube search with the topic "radio controlled car" :
Name: brands youtube radio controlled car.JPG
Size: 70.0 KB
Description:

Here is for the brand Arrma only :
Name: Arrma.JPG
Size: 53.3 KB
Description:
Arrma has been created in 2009, and the interest doesn't stop to grow since, but still under TRX or even HPI.

Here is what is the interest over time :
Name: interest.JPG
Views: 3
Size: 25.8 KB
Description:

And here with "lego" :
Name: lego.JPG
Views: 5
Size: 60.1 KB
Description:
LMFAO, watch how the rc brands are totally flat and down compared to lego I understand the Jang's choice now
Last edited by Jym73; Jan 23, 2020 at 01:56 AM.
Jan 23, 2020, 07:52 AM
I'll tell you what, I've had a gently used Traxxas, and currently have some Losi and Arrma... when i go looking for new stuff, I check out Arrma first, Losi second...

Arrma is building some really fun cars and they are doing it cheaper than Traxxas and Losi. Redcat are pretty good, but I don't know if they market as well. Also, Arrma gained the backing of Horizon Hobby within the last few years as they are a major distributor now. I think what Arrma has done is made stuff that appeals to a bigger gap of RC users... about the only thing they haven't done is crawling stuff... but they're all about their branding of blasting and bashing. I mean they have the Limitless and Infraction for the speed demons, they have the mixed blend Typhon and Talion, they have good bashers in the Kraton and Granite, the stunt trucks Notorious and Outcast, and the short course Senton and Mojave. Plus there stuff is all RTR and when compared to the others, they are cheaper to buy and repair (although that gap is closing it seems).

I think Traxxas shot themselves in the foot with some of their PR crap of suing companies and YT reviewers... especially the deal when they went after the "RC Saylors" which is a couple that are family friendly and fun to watch and have a good following... I think Traxxas hit them with some sort of cease and desist type thing.... and as mentioned above, other companies are building just as good if not better stuff and not pulling the premium price of the Traxxas name.
Jan 23, 2020, 09:38 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jym73
LMFAO, watch how the rc brands are totally flat and down compared to lego I understand the Jang's choice now

Thanks for showing that you can overlap brand metrics like that, which is very useful to see which is more popular, I just about fell out of my chair when you compared the Lego metrics!

This following comparison supports the claim that Traxxas is more popular than "radio control", but the other top brands just don't correlate to help measure popularity of the industry as a whole, sure would love to figure out a way to measure the popularity of "the industry"

Last edited by bill_delong; Jan 23, 2020 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply