Sep 09, 2019, 08:34 PM
ultra cheap pilot
I see my flyer buddies return back into driving R/C cars, trucks and stuff especialy scaler If you look at R/C market online more vendor started to sell more R/C car/trucks than air models. Drone racing started to decline too because the trend started to go down...looks struggling if you look at Reddit posts. If you look at social media more people thumbs up on ground models than drone or r/c planes compare to previous years. It looks like we're back to the original roots of R/C hobby. But the problem is vendor started to rise up the price for R/C car/trucks each year. I remember my 1:10 wltoys trucks only cost $80, now pump up to almost 1$20~150.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 01:16 PM
I have decided to leave the hobby step by step.
3 main reasons are money, value for money and the effort.

It was fun and exciting when I have bout my first radio and planes. I had fun building and flying the planes. But not for long, and I got bored.

Too much money wasted for parts and equipment. Too much effort for getting to proper flying fields. Tried helis and cars too.

Its the wrong hobby for me! I am working at child care and education and need something more stress relief with lower effort.

I dont really have fun controling, flying and driving the models. Buying a new model, set it up and fine tuning it is still fun, but for a short time only.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:49 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilbernerSurfer
I have decided to leave the hobby step by step.
3 main reasons are money, value for money and the effort.

It was fun and exciting when I have bout my first radio and planes. I had fun building and flying the planes. But not for long, and I got bored.

Too much money wasted for parts and equipment. Too much effort for getting to proper flying fields. Tried helis and cars too.

Its the wrong hobby for me! I am working at child care and education and need something more stress relief with lower effort.

I dont really have fun controling, flying and driving the models. Buying a new model, set it up and fine tuning it is still fun, but for a short time only.

Maybe you need time management, i'd recommend to keep your models because there are time when mood swing is up ready to thinker back rc hobby again.
I fly, drive, fpv and build fpv everyday even when i'm at workplace. It attract curious people around, make friends and enjoy hobby together. It also helps my technical skills building stuff. My budget for R/C is $20 per month and 90% of the time i bought second hand models/parts or recycled from crash parts picked up free from local r/c shop. I stay away buying branded R/C and innovate to make R/C more interesting. Plus without R/C models like FPV technology i wouldn't be able to explore the world around me and beyond knowing whats out there. It made me smile everyday the things you can do with RC tech thinking out of the box. RC = adventures!
Sep 18, 2019, 08:37 PM
NMSUman
I would have to agree with the main theme. If you look at fades over time, the ebb and flow. People's motivation change.

One big plus I see now is the level of technology in the air/ground/water vehicles we operate today.

Granted, it's more expensive now a days. But that's everything. Gas hasn't come back to 99 a gallon again since the 90s. So why should I expect a 6ch surface computerized Tx to be below $150? I don't.

Show me a brand new minivan that starts below $20k that's moderately equipped. You won't. Things change.

I have gone away and returned. Either based on interest, life point, or family trauma.

I have varied and expanded dimensions with the attainability of fixed/rotary wing. Rotary was left only to the daring and more financially astute in 90s

The range and detail has exploded as well. From amazing 1:87th scale all the way to realistic giant 1:2 scale.

The hobby and other hobbies are what you make of them. I am sure there are those that still play Magic the gathering that have the same evolution of their hobby.

Is called life and we enjoy it how we want and when we want.
Sep 19, 2019, 02:51 AM
Low budget fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMSUman
The hobby and other hobbies are what you make of them. I am sure there are those that still play Magic the gathering that have the same evolution of their hobby.

Is called life and we enjoy it how we want and when we want.
I have a friend who's still playing Magic the Gathering. I also see the announcement for competition from time to time in my univ campus. Seems like it's still alive and well here.
Sep 19, 2019, 06:06 PM
never mind rc becoming extinct, think about actual animals being extinct.
Sep 21, 2019, 12:43 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
This question seems very familiar: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rc-hobby-dying

I think there are only two threats, no just for rc hobby, but for any special activities. Either we mess up the earth so badly that you can no longer go outside, and are forced to use VR for any relaxation. Or The Matrix becomes true, either because of AI, or the will of some people, and humans remain locked in their cocoons 24/7, thinking they are free to live their lives, but not realizing it's all VR, and in reality are prisoners.

Considering that even these days people are still flying line-control planes, so no radio, or rubber powered free flight planes, modeling, with and without rc, is not going to die.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Sep 21, 2019, 06:42 AM
- Passing Through -
OP has.....issues.....
Oct 06, 2019, 11:29 AM
Good bye friends! Was a pleasure to share the hobby with you the last 8 years!
I have sold everything except my soldering iron, some glue and tools.

At the end it was too time and money consuming for me. I got also bored very quickly with new projects and new models.
Oct 06, 2019, 03:08 PM
Low budget fun
Quote:

At the end it was too time and money consuming for me. I got also bored very quickly with new projects and new models.
Good bye. Hopefully we'll see you again someday somewhere or probably in some other hobby forums.
Oct 06, 2019, 03:50 PM
The Mad Titan
Quote:

Sorry to see you go, but I understand that Galactus probably keeps you pretty busy

Honestly, I'm sort of in your shoes. I enjoy picking up a new car, tinkering with it, testing it out...but don't have much desire to constantly drive the same vehicle in the same places. As you said, it get's boring.

I'm considering selling most of my RTRs and getting back into Tamiyas so I can at least enjoy the building and scale aspects of the hobby again. Time will tell.
Oct 06, 2019, 04:53 PM
A giant asteroid could slam into earth. That would do it.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 07:57 PM
sinoname
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting.
Oct 13, 2019, 11:28 PM
Car Bashing
From what i remember 20yo ago, and what i see nowadays, there is a more big offer with so different models on the market. Imo, this hobby won't die soon. Also, imo, videos on youtube help more people to come into this hobby. Internet help also to get parts more easily, when 20yo ago, if there wasn't a LHS, you surely wouldn't came into this hobby.

Quick Reply