Aug 29, 2019, 12:20 PM
Lifetime Member
Thread OP
Discussion

Laminating Film

I am looking to purchase some laminating film for covering some foam wings and was looking for opinions on the thickness, 1.5mil or 3mil.
Will be using on depron, eps, epo, etc
Would this be suitable?
https://www.amazon.com/GBC-Thermal-L...ay&sr=8-3&th=1
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2019, 05:21 PM
Held by Grace
There are different types of lam film with different heat ranges and such .
If you want to be sure that you have the right stuff to start working with it go to Aloft Hobbies and buy some ,you don’t want to wind up with 500 or 1000 feet of something you don’t like or can’t use .
Aloft also has its own forums and how to information on their website .
Mike
Aug 29, 2019, 08:42 PM
Lifetime Member
Thread OP
Great, thanks for the tip. I will check there.
Aug 30, 2019, 05:14 PM
Hot glue will fix anything!
The thinner the better, you'll be surprised how much strength the thin stuff adds but you will struggle on any curved surfaces with the thicker stuff.
Aug 30, 2019, 08:08 PM
Retired CAD guy
FYI
http://www.alofthobbies.com/

I just got a Taranis QX-7 TX to add "trainer" capability to my older Taranis 9x.

Shipping from West coast to Indiana was unbelievably quick !

Covering Film, colored packing tape or Lam film all make a huge difference in strength.
Aug 30, 2019, 09:20 PM
Lifetime Member
Thread OP
I am going to order some of the 1.7mil CP and the 3mil DP from Aloft.
10 feet of each to get the bulk savings.
Aug 30, 2019, 09:59 PM
Held by Grace

Using laminate film

John : When you begin to use the film you will find it needs to be worked a little differently than other films you may have used (monokote / ultra kote etc)
You want to find and use the lowest temperature that will activate the glue - the film will change color from milky to clear
You should start to bond/ iron the film down in the middle of the panel and work your way out to the end,

remember foam is a great insulator so take your time bond the film down while pulling to stretch it a bit then remove the iron while still pulling and hold while it cools , after it cools continue pulling/ ironing/ holding and work your way out to the end of the panel you are covering
Also pay attention that your monokote iron is laying flat so as not to dent the foam underneath, let the heat and surface drag or the iron do the work moving the iron in a small circular motion ( like putting on wax )
Note : on any given heat settings on your iron the base of the iron will be hotter than the temperature at the nose or tip of the iron ( less surface area )
I hope this helps
You can find more information on lam film over on the Slope and DS sailplane forums ,it is also widely referred to as “New Stuff” or NS
Aug 30, 2019, 10:22 PM
Lifetime Member
Thread OP
Thanks for all the tips!

Quick Reply